News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1969 charger value

Started by dhamblin, September 03, 2009, 03:28:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dhamblin

Hi all, I am new to the forum, but a long time mopae fan. My past mopes: 73 Cuda, 66 coronet convertible, 66 charger(2), 83 ramcharger, 91 akota conv., 55 new yorker and currently a 69 charger. I have not followed the hobby for a few years, been busy with kids, surgeries, sports and now college. I am thinking of selling the charger to offset some of my daughters college. What is it worth? It is an original south cal. and arizona car, now in southern ohio. The only rust is around the windows, but not too bad. The undercarriage is unbelievable. It is a 318, a/c (works) car, with an auto. Runs and drives, take it out a few times a year. The last time it was at the nats was 2003. It leaks out of various places. When I got it, it was painted in original t3 ( looked like 1 repaint) I have since scuff padded the paint and went over it in hot rod black. I paid top dollar in 1998 and shipping when I bought it. I am hoping it is worth $16k. I am I even close? Any feedback is appreciated.

Blown70

Well, I can give you an IDEA as of 1.5 years ago but they have dropped  My 318 69 is a match except GREEN  I paid $15,000.  Personally with the market I dont know and I do have Torq's on it  SEE photo below.  My car as far as I can tell no rust around the back window.

The black may help it sell that you did.  Running driving cars are what I do perfer to buy.....(most of the time)

PocketThunder

I'll say its worth $15,000, just because its a rust free southern California car.  Anyone is hard pressed to buy a rusty 69 Charger and make it rust free for less than $10,000. 
Why not keep it and let you daughter pay her own way through college?  I paid my own way.  it sucks but its life. :Twocents:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

69charger2002

if that car is in primer black, and has a little rust around the back window, and has various leaks. i'd price your car around the 8-10k range, i personally do not think you will get close to 16k for it. sep 3rd, 2008? maybe.. sep 3rd, 2007. more than likely.. but this year prices are quickly coming back down to reality.
just my  :Twocents:
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

elanmars

what kind of leaks do you have?

I paid $8k for my running Charger but it's having the body worked on a little because the previous owners did terrible job on it ( WHO PUTS BONDO ON A NON RUSTY BODY TO ERASE THE SEXY LINES!??!?!?), needs paint, no a/c, front buckets need recovering/redcone, crappy 14 tires with crappy wheels and missing some trim and minor other items.

and I think I paid too much.
1969 Dodge Charger, pseudo General Lee., 1973 ratty Dodge Charger.

check out my photography: http://www.tomasraul.com
instagram: tomasraul
facebook: www.facebook.com/tomasraulphotography

bull

Quote from: elanmars on September 03, 2009, 07:03:29 PM
...the previous owners did terrible job on it ( WHO PUTS BONDO ON A NON RUSTY BODY TO ERASE THE SEXY LINES!??!?!?)

What?!?! They covered the body lines with bondo?!?!

Anyway, I guess it depends on where you live. The guys selling Chargers around here think the basket cases are worth $12k. I wouldn't hesistate asking $16k for that car with the understanding that you probably will not get it. At least it's a starting point. I personally think it's worth more than what some of these other guys are saying but probably not quite $16k, especially without paint because that right there is going to cost $5k-$10k to have it painted by a shop. I know it's moot now but why did you remove the paint? It looked ok in the pictures to me.

I have to side with PT though, make the kid pay for school.

69 OUR/TEA

Quote from: Blown70 on September 03, 2009, 03:32:08 PM
Well, I can give you an IDEA as of 1.5 years ago but they have dropped  My 318 69 is a match except GREEN  I paid $15,000.  Personally with the market I dont know and I do have Torq's on it  SEE photo below.  My car as far as I can tell no rust around the back window.

The black may help it sell that you did.  Running driving cars are what I do perfer to buy.....(most of the time)

Thats's your car Blown70??????? I like it alot!!!!!

dhamblin

Q) what kind of leaks do you have? A) leaks a little oil out of the rear, leaks a little diff lube, leaks a little psf.

Q) Why not keep it and let you daughter pay her own way through college? A) From what we are learning, all the student loans are really parent loans. My wife already borrowed against her 401k, I am trying to look more long range.

Q) I know it's moot now but why did you remove the paint? A) I think I was tired of it looking so grampa like. Fact is the previous paint job was a 20 footer at best, I envisioned it being painted in the desert (has a lot of grit). All the paint is still under there, I barely scuffed it at all and it only has one coat of flat black paint (not primer) on it. Could easily be wet sanded away.

I appreciate the feedback.

elanmars

Quote from: bull on September 03, 2009, 07:20:02 PM
Quote from: elanmars on September 03, 2009, 07:03:29 PM
...the previous owners did terrible job on it ( WHO PUTS BONDO ON A NON RUSTY BODY TO ERASE THE SEXY LINES!??!?!?)

What?!?! They covered the body lines with bondo?!?!

a good portion of the body lines, just didn't make sense to us. I could understand hiding rust and shoddy work but on non rusty areas?? like, really??? and on a Charger, of all cars? but then the geniuses that I bought it from also planned to put it on 24's and give the car orange/purple candy flake paint.  I see it as, I totally saved that car...
1969 Dodge Charger, pseudo General Lee., 1973 ratty Dodge Charger.

check out my photography: http://www.tomasraul.com
instagram: tomasraul
facebook: www.facebook.com/tomasraulphotography

Blown70

Quote from: 69 OUR/TEA on September 03, 2009, 08:17:37 PM
Quote from: Blown70 on September 03, 2009, 03:32:08 PM

Thats's your car Blown70??????? I like it alot!!!!!

Yes, that is LUCI.

68charger383

I'll take the easy road and say $14K-$16K as long as your not hiding something under that primer.

Ask the $16K and be willing to go down a grand or two. In Ohio & East Coast, it is a rust free car.

Take a bunch of pictures and post it on this site in the cars for sale section so our fellow members can get first crack at it.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/board,7.0.html
1968 Charger 383(Sold)
2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10

mauve66

Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

Troy

Quote from: mauve66 on September 05, 2009, 12:58:35 PM
your 60 seems to be in ALOT better shape than this 68, of course it is an R/T but still, anyone can get emblems and a 440, even if its not original

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dodge-Charger_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZalgoQ3dSIQ26ituQ3dUCIQ252BUAQ252BFICSQ26otnQ3d12Q26poQ3dLVIQ26psQ3d54QQ_trksidZp3907Q2em263QQcategoryZ6199QQitemZ180401413426
Yeah, but adding emblems and a 440 doesn't get you a "real" two owner, heavily loaded, numbers matching R/T with bunches of documentation (although there was no "SE" in 68). People who care about numbers will gladly pay more for a rare car - even if it's in worse shape. That's why you see burnt Daytona shells pulling in $40k+.

Personally, I don't exactly follow prices for 69s but I'd be truly surprised if anyone offered $15-16k for it. On the other hand, I'm in Ohio too and most everything around here is rusted junk so I know people will pay more for a solid car. What's the interior like? It appears to have most of the hard-to-find parts in good shape so that's a plus. Now is a horrible time to be selling a car so I'd probably hold out if possibly. FYI - I paid for my college as well. All my loans were in my name.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.