News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Vacuum canister

Started by J-440, September 01, 2009, 07:56:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J-440

Can't use the stock vacuum canister for my headlight doors b/c the shock tower tubing is in the way.  I also don't have the original to relocate and was looking for a smaller/more compact substitue.  I bought a canister off E-bay ($15) but looks to be too small.  I think the stock one is around 8 inches long with a 4" O.D. but am not sure.  Thanks again. 
68 R/T, 440/727 6-speed, SC G-machine...black suede

mopar_nut_440_6

7 inches long X 4-1/4 in diameter
1968 Charger R/T 440 
2004 Dodge Ram 2500 680 HP Cummins with attitude

J-440

Thanks Nut, but does the canister have to be close to that size in order for it to store enough vacuum to open the doors?  Or could I use a smaller one?

mopar_nut_440_6

I am no expert but if you use a smaller reservoir it will likely work but take a bit longer to generate the vacuum to open the doors. If it was me I would try the one you have and see how it works prior to mounting. Maybe even mount two smaller reservoirs in series with a slightly larger tube between them as they would be easier to mount yet provide the same or better volume as the single reservoir. I do not know what your setup looks like so I am making some assumptions. Not sure if this helps but sometimes you just need to think outside of the box. I know there is generally a lot of spare room on the front side of the rad support between the grill, can you mount the larger reservoir in there?
1968 Charger R/T 440 
2004 Dodge Ram 2500 680 HP Cummins with attitude

J-440

Good idea.  Except I'll have to wait because the entire front clip is off the car.  Still doing some engine work.  Preciate the help though.