News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

I met 2 amazing people at our cruise night tonight.

Started by 1969chargerrtse, October 04, 2009, 07:33:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1969chargerrtse

One was amazingly rude.  I said "Hi" to him, then asked, How's life?  After he answered, O.K  I asked.... You mind if I ask a question?
His answer was " I'm reading a magazine, go away. "   :eek2:  I said "O.K" and walked away.  To say I was shocked would be an under statement.

I walked around looking at cars ( but not really ) thinking, how rude, and sad. :rotz:

The next stop was this cute old man sitting in his first car ever.  He bought it during the depression for 10.00  when he was 15 years old.  This man was amazing.  He is 87 years old.  He installed this old racing 6cyl engine back in 1940 and still has the original motor.  He met his wife and gave her his first kiss to her in that car.  He scratched his and her initials on the old wood steering wheel and they are still there today.  4 years ago he had broken valves springs and pulled the head and rebuilt it at, 83 years old!!  I can't remember all the history of cars and life he talked about. Clarence was his name, and for all the rudeness of the first guy, it was all behind me.   :angel:  What an amazing person he was.

P.S

The car is all original.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Magnumcharger

Like the old saying goes "it takes all kinds".
I've been very fortunate to have met some wonderful people at car shows. And when you think about it, why would somebody who doesn't want to meet and talk to people, take their car to a show?

I did meet one guy at a car show- a Mr. Ken K - who was probably the biggest jerk I've ever met. I was talking about my Charger, and he said something to the effect that if it didn't have a Hemi, it may as well be a parts car.

Nice.
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

Khyron

I love that old mans hat! top notch guy to say the least :thumbup:

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

bull

I always find it odd when some people go to a public show where gobs of people show up to gawk, ask questions and visit and they just sit there glowering and snapping at everyone. :shruggy: Seems like everyone would be better off if they would go/stay home.

But at least there was a bright side to it. Seems like the older guys are a lot more willing to visit. A few years back I talked at length with an older gentleman at a car show who brought his original 68 Charger. It some ways it's more fun to hear people talk about how they fell in love with the car at the showroom than in a field or barn.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Khyron on October 04, 2009, 07:54:55 PM
I love that old mans hat! top notch guy to say the least :thumbup:
I can't tell you how much he warmed my heart.  I must find where he lives and drop by.  It's an honor to know people like that.  He told me he's been on t.v and in many magazines.  Jay Leno offered him a full payed trip to see his cars, and he's on the list to meet Jay.

Wow, he was easy to find on the net!

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/19/nyregion/nyregionspecial2/19peoplect.html?ex=1345176000&en=24a2cbcb026f3480&ei=5124&partner=permalink&exprod=permalink

Great artical, please click and read.

Part of the car's allure is that it has never been restored. There is a hole in one of the floorboards, cotton is coming out of the seats and some of the paint is wearing off. Mr. Curtiss has kits to restore it, but he can't bring himself to use them. "People just love seeing it the way it is," he said.

Mr. Curtiss also has a strong emotional attachment to the car. He met his wife, Dorothy, shortly after he bought it, when he was 17 and she was 14; they had been married 56 years when she died in 1998. The initials they carved on the steering wheel as teenagers can still be seen. "She was the first and only girl I ever kissed in the car," he said. "It's priceless because of that, as far as I'm concerned."

This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

1969chargerrtse

jaak

Awesome story....seems like a cool guy.

When I was in High School, I caught alot of hell being a "Dodge Guy". My Senior year, a new student started (he was a junior) He had a '67 fastback Cuda, painted purple. His name was Chris and we became good friends. He later sold the Cuda in '96 (I think) He ordered a brand new Dakota when that new body style came out. He was good friend and we hung out together alot and worked at the same place for a little while. As long as I knew him and was at his house I really never met his step-father, due to the way he worked, met his Mom alot, but only saw his Dad a couple of times in passing. Tragically when Chris was 23 he was killed in a car accident.
A few years later, at the Tennessee Valley Mopar Show (in Huntsville, AL) I was in the swap meet area and met a guy and started small talk with him, really nice guy. Well I asked where he was from, I was suprised it was from around my area, then after a little more discussion, realized it was Chris' stepFather. Anyways we talked along time about the cars and projects he has (sweet 69 fastback Cuda) and also talked and remembered good times with Chris. I also asked him if he knew what happened with Chris' old Cuda, because I would love to have that car. He told me that it was sold to one of his son-in-laws or something and that they had wrecked it a few years back. I just thought it was cool, meeting his Dad, talking Mopars, and remembering Chris.

Jason

moparguy01

That reminds me of when I met the Zapp's while at the Auburn Cord Duesenberg museum in Auburn Indiana. http://www.seattlepi.com/local/132592_drivers28.html

Thats a link to what they did. Basically they drove a 1928 Grahm Paige from venezuela up through the US to alaska. They were real nice down to earth folks that I had the pleasure of talking to for about an hour while we looked at their car. If you get a chance to read their book they wrote, you ought to. I think They mention it in the article.

Davtona

Very Nice Story. Very Cool.   :2thumbs:

A similar story

My wife Cathy's grandpa Art has a Model A also. I believe it is a 1929 too. His father Henry bought the car new. When the car came in Art actually drove the car off the train. He has had the car all these years. It is basically original with the exception of the interior as far as I know or can tell. Art and his wife of 72 years Bertie loved to drive the car in the local small town parades. She is gone now also. The car sat for a few years recently until the family got it running again in time for his 100th birthday party last fall. There Art was all afternoon giving his great grandchildren rides in his Model A. The State made him take the written and driving tests last year and he passed with flying colors. He still lives on his own and drives regularly. I can only hope I make it as long as he has. He will be 101 on October 7 2009. To put that in perspective he was 4 years old when the Titantic went down.

moparstuart

Quote from: Davtona on October 04, 2009, 10:13:13 PM
Very Nice Story. Very Cool.   :2thumbs:

A similar story

My wife Cathy's grandpa Art has a Model A also. I believe it is a 1929 too. His father Henry bought the car new. When the car came in Art actually drove the car off the train. He has had the car all these years. It is basically original with the exception of the interior as far as I know or can tell. Art and his wife of 72 years Bertie loved to drive the car in the local small town parades. She is gone now also. The car sat for a few years recently until the family got it running again in time for his 100th birthday party last fall. There Art was all afternoon giving his great grandchildren rides in his Model A. The State made him take the written and driving tests last year and he passed with flying colors. He still lives on his own and drives regularly. I can only hope I make it as long as he has. He will be 101 on October 7 2009. To put that in perspective he was 4 years old when the Titantic went down.
very cool   :2thumbs:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Cooter

Quote from: Magnumcharger on October 04, 2009, 07:49:02 PM
, why would somebody who doesn't want to meet and talk to people, take their car to a show?

Nice.

Most of the time as I've seen and met these types too, are Trophy hunters..
They are preocupied with winning the trophy instead of enjoying all the different people at the show..
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Cooter on October 05, 2009, 11:53:34 AM
Quote from: Magnumcharger on October 04, 2009, 07:49:02 PM
, why would somebody who doesn't want to meet and talk to people, take their car to a show?

Nice.

Most of the time as I've seen and met these types too, are Trophy hunters..
They are preocupied with winning the trophy instead of enjoying all the different people at the show..
No trophies at this cruise night. He's just a jerk at times. I've talked to him before. One day he's nice, the next time he's his true self.

tan top

the guy says go away :o , yeah takes alsorts ,  fancy being at a car show & saying that someone asking about their ride  :rotz:
i would of been the same Rob , in thinking about what he had just said !! people can be soo rude on times , i for one would never think of say that to some one , 
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html