News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

To Rebuild or Not to Rebuild, that is the question....

Started by jdiesel33, September 07, 2009, 03:01:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdiesel33

There wasnt much wrong with my dad's 68 R/T 440 when it was parked for a 13 year hiatus. I'm not saying it was ready for the track or anything, I am sure there were some things that needed to be worked on, but it ran. I assumed after sitting that long that I should get it rebuilt. However, I was talking to a guy at the Mini Nationals meet this weekend and he said if it was running then, it might not be worth the money to get it rebuilt. What is everyone's opinion on this? The only quote I have gotten so far is for $2600, which would be cleaning and replacing just about everything. I posted the quote on here before but cant seem to locate it now. Should I get it rebuilt?

Thanks
1968 Dodge Charger R/T
PP1,Black Hat, Black Stripes

charger01

Why not at least try and get it running first?  Your gonna need all those tuneup items if you rebuild it anyways.  I'd give it a shot , just to see what happens.

Tilar

I agree, If it's not being run, nothing is wearing out. You're probably going to have to go all through the brakes due to seals drying out, but you'd have that anyway. Provided it's not froze up, I'd put a little oil down in the cylinders and spin her over a few times.

I'd say give it a try and see what happens. Even a blind hog finds an acorn now and then.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

Steve P.

You will need to do some fuel system clean up before trying it, but yes, I would see exactly what you have before making plans. The fuel system and other tuning supplies will be a must either way. So why not??
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

TylerCharger69

Fuel system will need to be cleaned....I imagine valve seals are dry rotted and need replacing.....Hopefully rings aren't seized to cylinder walls.....IMHO...I would go through the engine and everything else and freshen it up.  That's a while to be sitting.  I'd replace the filter and fluids in the tranny too.

jdiesel33

Thanks for the advice. I will try to get someone over here to evaluate everything and help me get her going. I am at a VERY beginner level on this stuff. Anyone know of any good, reliable, honest folks around Dallas that would want to make a little extra money and would come out to my place?
1968 Dodge Charger R/T

Tilar

I think we have some members around Dallas but I don't have any names that come to mind right off. I have a place in Tyler but right now I'm in Ohio or I'd make the trek some weekend. I enjoy doing things like that.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

jdiesel33

I appreciate the offer. I have some friends that live in or around Tyler. Good folks out that way.
1968 Dodge Charger R/T