News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Valley pan (rant) Help please

Started by 400/6/PAC, September 02, 2009, 08:20:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

400/6/PAC

I wanted to replace My valley pan because it rusted and has a hole in it.
The pan I took off is a Felpro part # 9546
I ordered a new pan from summit to match My motor ( 400 ci ) with stage VI aluminum heads, Part # 1214 was what They said I needed.
The origanal part # 9546 is no longer available but 1214 is supposed to be for the 400.
Well the pan I got is 1-1/2 inches to narrow, the straps match but the ports don't.
So I bit My toung and went back to the shop that originally built My motor ( They screwed me over ) and asked if They could get Me the right pan gasket.
They ended up getting Me a pan part # 90105 that is exactly the same pan as the 1214. :brickwall: :brickwall:
I than tried a pan for a 440 as I have stage VI heads, The ports match but the straps don't.
I called Felpro tech support and They told Me part # 9546 never existed.
I told them that it did exist, I have one, They said I need part # 1215 for the 440. I told them I tried a 440 pan but the straps don't line up.
They told Me They can't help Me.
So now I have two pans that I can return.( minus shipping) and nothing to put on My motor.
Can Anyone help Me figure out what pan I really need.
Thanks Guy's

terrible one

Hmm maybe look for a 383 pan? I would think that the 440 pan definitely would not work as the 383/400 are B and 440 is RB.

62 Max

There are only two pans,one B,one RB,one has to fit. :scratchchin:

400/6/PAC

Quote from: 62 Max on September 02, 2009, 09:15:28 PM
There are only two pans,one B,one RB,one has to fit. :scratchchin:
From what I have learned, Thear are Three pans. Low deck, medium deck, and High deck. :shruggy:
The thing is that, I can clearly see FELPRO # 9546 and They say it does not exist.
They told Me it must be an after market pan :shruggy:

c00nhunterjoe

what the hell is a medium deck engine? i used to have a 400 in my car. i used the same valley pan and intake off of it on my 383 with no problem

b5blue

This is screwed up.....just call Mancini Racing....they will know what you want....and send it to ya. I feel yer pain Bro.!  :eek2:

firefighter3931

The stage VI heads are a raised port design....originally developed so that you could use an RB width intake manifold on a B engine. Pretty neat concept but it does cause some issues. Many of the original stage VI manifolds had built in valley pans so there was no need for the traditional tin "turkey pan". Using the stage VI's on an RB block required spacers for proper port alignment with a standard width RB intake manifold. If it sounds confusing that's because it is !  :P

Like Neal recommended ; call Mancini and tell them what you've got. They should have access to the correct MP installation kit for your application.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

400/6/PAC

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on September 03, 2009, 10:39:59 PM
what the hell is a medium deck engine? i used to have a 400 in my car. i used the same valley pan and intake off of it on my 383 with no problem
Yeah, I never hered of a medium deck either. Thats just what one of the speed shops told Me. It's not so much the deck but the width of the pan.
I will call Mancini and see if They can help Me.
Thanks for all Your help. :2thumbs:

TylerCharger69

Well the pan I got is 1-1/2 inches to narrow, the straps match but the ports don't.

That tells me that the pan you have is for a 361-383-400 engine.  Being 1 1/2 inches too narrow....tells me you have an RB block.  (413 thru 440)  There are only two valley pans to choose from....I'm not too sure if a wedge engine is any different....someone will chime in on that one.  As far as the strap bolts not lining up....that's one on me...let us know!!!