News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

holley carburator settings

Started by 66chargertoy, August 31, 2009, 10:04:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

66chargertoy

Well, I have a 3310 Holley and been trying to tune it according to their site and some threads. I have set the floats, then tried to set the idle screws. Vaccum is at around 20, but bounces around quite a bit. So when I try to set the rpm at around 850 when the car is in drive, then put it in park, it is revving way to high. Also, no matter what I do with the idle screws, nothing really happens. When I screw in the screws all the way, the engine doesn't stall.
Just wondering.
Denis
1966 440 Charger

firefighter3931

Denis...if the idle mix screws are unresponsive you have one of 2 issues ;

(1) Idle speed set too high and your idling on the main circuit

(2) Idle air bleeds are clogged up and need some gumout sprayed into them

For a proper idle you need to have properly functioning idle mixture screws....start by spraying some cleaner in the bleeds.  :yesnod:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

66chargertoy

Now, would the air bleeds be situated right at the screws, or are they somewhere else? Also, would a spray carb cleaner should do the trick? :scratchchin:
Denis
1966 440 Charger

Ghoste

They are on the top of the throats, check for very tiny holes up there and yes, carb cleaner should do the trick.

GPULLER

I had better luck buying a rebuild kit, a gallon can of carb cleaner for dippin'.  Soaked the metering blocks and main body for an hour.  Bolted it back together, runs perfect now, should have done it a year ago.  I did the spray carb cleaner in the air bleeds, just didn't work for me.

firefighter3931

Quote from: GPULLER on September 01, 2009, 04:16:49 PM
I had better luck buying a rebuild kit, a gallon can of carb cleaner for dippin'.  Soaked the metering blocks and main body for an hour.  Bolted it back together, runs perfect now, should have done it a year ago.  I did the spray carb cleaner in the air bleeds, just didn't work for me.

Yep....sometimes the rebuild is a better option, or...the only option.  :P

I like to try cleaning out the bleeds first....rebuild if you have to.  :yesnod:

I remember all the fun  :RantExplode: you were having with that carb GPuller....and how well it ran afterwards.  :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

66chargertoy

Thanks for the info. Also want to mention that I had some coil issues just recently and had a couple of backfires. Think maybe the power valve was damaged. Oh, and would a vaccum leak cause some of these problems. Been working days, so haven't had a chance to look at the car. Will get to it on Friday.
Denis
1966 440 Charger

GPULLER

Kinda of a tradition to burnouts in front of my brothers house.  Stopped in front of his driveway, left trans second, pumped the brakes a bit and rolled into the throttle.  Trans shifted into second, let off the brake by then I was in the other lane.  Took half mile for the smoke to clear out of the car.  Brother called my cell phone "What the hell you do to that thing?"...gotta love it!  :2thumbs:

66chargertoy, hope you have the same luck!