News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Crank ID

Started by Sixt8Chrgr, August 31, 2009, 05:15:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sixt8Chrgr

I have a '75 440 block with th "E" stamped on the block for the cast crank. However the motor has been rebuilt and there is no balancer on the crank. I am trying to figure out if someone put a forged crank in it or left the cast crank in the block. I found a "1914" cast into the crank. It actually lookes more like a date code than a casting number. How can I tell what type of crank I have? The oil pan is not on the block so I can get under it.

Thanks,

firefighter3931

Visually there are several clues that distinguish one from the other.  :yesnod:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Sixt8Chrgr

Firefighter thanks so much. You answered my question 100%. I have seen the 440 cast in the crank so I now know that I have a cast crank.

John_Kunkel

If the motor was rebuilt it might have been internally balanced, look for signs of heavy metal being added to the counterweights.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Sixt8Chrgr