News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How hard is it to Rebuild a DANA 60

Started by Nassau1969, September 01, 2009, 11:32:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nassau1969

How hard is it to rebuild a DANA 60 new gears a bearings the works.

lisiecki1

the mechanical work of it is not any harder than rebuilding a motor....making sure everything is set correctly (run-out, etc.) is where the difficulty comes in.  If you have all the proper tools and instructional materials, and a good working mechanical knowledge you should be ok.
Remember the average response time to a 911 call is over 4 minutes.

The average response time of a 357 magnum is 1400 FPS.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,52527.0.html

defiance

Tools are the toughie.  Documentation is readily available (the factory dana 60 service manual is available in full on the web), and the instructions and illustrations are very in-depth.  Some of the steps require a high degree of precision, but with a good dial gauge and patience that's really not tough.  But you do need good tools.  The dial gauge mentioned before is an absolute must, bearing pullers, a press, and the housing spreader - those are the ones I can think of at least.  Some will argue that you don't absolutely have to have a spreader.  I admit I fudged it myself.  But working without one is at best quite a bit more difficult.  Unless you are working with the aftermarket housing that has adjustable sides (I can't remember if it's strange or moser), in which case the spreader is completely unnecessary.

Brickster

I think it's a job best lest for professionals but I'm in the rear end business. www.dansdriveline.com

lisiecki1

I'm in the rear end business too. 
Remember the average response time to a 911 call is over 4 minutes.

The average response time of a 357 magnum is 1400 FPS.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,52527.0.html