News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Figured you guys would like to see my Charger...

Started by Cooter, August 31, 2009, 09:14:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cooter

Hello, my name is Chaney. I'm also one of the Admins. on the ChristineCarClub site...Here is a little bit about my General Lee, while not fully correct, it is done MY way....
First off, I REALLY wish I hadda taken some Before pics..But, Hindsight is always 20/20...

I like to think of this one as the one that was leaving the junkyard in "Daisy's Song"....(5-speed manual)...It Started life as a beat up, abandoned, 1970 Dodge Charger, SE, 383 BB/727 Auto, Non 8 3/4 rear car..It was a parts car when I got to it and I traded an engine block for it with NO title (440 Block)..When it was loaded onto the trailer to be towed home, the guy let it fall off and into the creek about 6 ft. below damaging what was left of the right rear quarter..Finally, I got it home to access what I had "Purchased".....
It was missing the following.....Headliner, Front bucket seats, dash wiring, under dash plastic trim pieces (1970 only), back seat, carpet, upper door pads, door panels, windshield, all trim, hood, fenders, grille, front bumper, front valance, rear tail lights, rear taillight chrome trim, rear reverse lights, engine, trans, All marker lights, under hood wiring, and finally, the title.........This POS took me about 2 1/2 years to complete, doing ALL my own work in my backyard, including, but NOT limited to paint and body.. I build my own trans's, engines, rears, do my own carpet, and seat covers, as well as the headliner..I do all my own bodywork and paint.. the Flag is painted on with dollar store spray bomb paint and cleared over...(Cost too much for the decal)..The "General Lee" letters are also magnets...
The 440 is a 1972 "HP" Police Interceptor standard bore, with closed chamber "915" heads with 2.08 and BB Ch*vy 1.880 Exhaust valves like the Max Wedge cars had. It has the Mopar Performance "Purple Shaft" cam with .484/284 Lift and Duration respectively..It has an old Torker II intake with a Holley 750 Double pumper.. Also has 1 7/8" hedders, 2 1/2" exhaust, with 2 chamber "Old skool" Flowmasters.(The louder ones)..
It now sports an 8 3/4" rear with 3.23 Gears and open diff. I'm running the "Vector" 10 spoke GM style wheels that I made fit the Chrysler 5 on 4 1/2" bolt pattern...It has an A-Body Disc brake conversion up front, with 11"X2 3/4" drums in back...The Interior is all Legendary, with Original Door panels (1970). The color is "EV2" "Hemi Orange" BC/CC...
I rebuilt the entire grille and now the vaccum headlights actually work correctly...I have the Slower version of the "Dixie" horn from JC W..
It has a Mustang GT T-5 5-speed with a custom spacer/adapter for half Chrysler, half Ford Clutch linkage and pilot bearing set up...I'm running a Chrysler 10 1/2" Pressure plate with a Ford 10 spline disc....Works really well...

Here's a little video..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEvk2x89vNw

Although not a Charger, here is my other "Star car"..."CHRISTINE"..

Actually, it belong's to Lynn, the wife, as she bought it...I just did the work on it...
Start to finish, the short version.............

Here she was when we got her in 2004.........

3 years in and some of the bodywork done...

My buddy Jon from Wisc. helped me get that huge windshield back in!

Finally in paint...

Getting my "Rawa's" inserts on..."FuryJim", is the MAN!

Here she is today after 5 long years......

" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Charger-Bodie

68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Ghoste

Cooter

Well......It WAS a 4-speed..Now it's a 5-speed in the General...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Charger-Bodie

68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Cooter

:lol: No, No..I can't afford that stuff...I only have about $7000 in the car doing it all myself...No, I'm running a Mustank GT T-5 5-speed in it...It's all in the top description of how I made it All work...

Blown70

Quote from: Cooter on August 31, 2009, 09:14:09 PM

It has a Mustang GT T-5 5-speed with a custom spacer/adapter for half Chrysler, half Ford Clutch linkage and pilot bearing set up...I'm running a Chrysler 10 1/2" Pressure plate with a Ford 10 spline disc....Works really well...

Those with the tranny questions may have missed this......(do'h he beat me to it)

I hear that CHristine song in my head now....... :2thumbs:

jaak

Brock Samson

Cooter

I got one more in the line-up you guys wanna see? Hint: It's 505 C.I. and has gone as fast as 6.80's in the 8th mile here on Pump gas, street tires, through the mufflers, on 175 Shot of Nitrous...I reallize this is a Charger only forum, but there's no "off topic" for posting car pics, so i put 'em here...Hope ya'll don't mind...

jb666

I was watching all of your videos (and comenting) on YouTube the other night!! Welcome!!  :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

The General sounds awesome, BTW!!

Cooter

bull

Welcome, I love Christine. :2thumbs:

Quote from: Cooter on August 31, 2009, 09:47:42 PM
I reallize this is a Charger only forum, but there's no "off topic" for posting car pics, so i put 'em here...Hope ya'll don't mind...

Actually there is a spot for off topic car stuff: Car Guys Discussion, Everything automobile related (other than Chargers): other Mopars, trucks, NASCAR, Brand X, models, toys, gas prices, videos, burnouts, etc.

b5blue

Charger440RDN

Christine is still the best car MOVIE ever made  :yesnod:

RamchargerMopar

I own an actual mirror off the car used in the movie Christine. That is a true piece of Mopar History right there! Now is it a true Fury or is it a Belvedere??
Mopar or No Car!

tan top

hello   :cheers:     nice  :yesnod:  love the christine  :coolgleamA:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

rav440

1973 PLYMOUTH road runner GTX

Cooter

Quote from: RamchargerMopar on September 01, 2009, 12:54:28 AM
I own an actual mirror off the car used in the movie Christine. That is a true piece of Mopar History right there! Now is it a true Fury or is it a Belvedere??

Well, while the movie and book portrayed Christine as a "Fury", the car more resembled a Belvedere...Fury's were only available in Buckskin beige, with gold side trim...However, the Fury stuff could be ordered on just about any car that year...No, this car started life as the twin to the "Tulsa Plymouth"...Belvedere..

400/6/PAC

RamchargerMopar

Quote from: Cooter on September 01, 2009, 06:55:28 AM
Quote from: RamchargerMopar on September 01, 2009, 12:54:28 AM

Well, while the movie and book portrayed Christine as a "Fury", the car more resembled a Belvedere...Fury's were only available in Buckskin beige, with gold side trim...However, the Fury stuff could be ordered on just about any car that year...No, this car started life as the twin to the "Tulsa Plymouth"...Belvedere..

Ha the book also potrayed it to be a Four Door Fury and that was just not possible there are many things in the book that make Mopar heads scratch their heads and same goes for the movie. I am happy though in the movie they went with the two door Belvy instead of the four door.
Mopar or No Car!

73chgrSE

Cooter

Appomattox..Yeah, go figure right where Gen. Lee surrendered... :lol:

73chgrSE

Welcome to the site. I'm from Va beach area. In Atl. now. I saw all those old Va. plates in the picture. You guys still have to have front plates?

Cooter

Yep...Either on the car in front, or up on the dash.

FlatbackFanatic

Flatback Fanatic, Kurt  , MN

GreenMachine

Darnell would be proud, you didn't put new wipers on a busted windshield!   :yesnod:
If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.

mopar73

Welcome to the site.  Great looking cars you have there. :2thumbs:
Scott

jaak

Now you need to built a blue 68 Charger (Dennis' car) to complete the "Christine Set"  :D

Jason

69ChargersRule

Like them Both.The General and the Christine car.Love to have them. :yesnod:

Cooter

Quote from: jaak on September 01, 2009, 06:15:07 PM
Now you need to built a blue 68 Charger (Dennis' car) to complete the "Christine Set"  :D

Jason

We are searching for a suitable '68 Charger for that very reason right now, but can't find any that the seller isn't looking to retire off the sale price....

jaak

Quote from: Cooter on September 02, 2009, 11:09:48 AM
Quote from: jaak on September 01, 2009, 06:15:07 PM

Jason

We are searching for a suitable '68 Charger for that very reason right now, but can't find any that the seller isn't looking to retire off the sale price....

Cool!! Good luck in your search! Yeah I know what you mean, 2nd gens are getting tougher to come by. Where abouts you live, There was a decent 68 on Atlanta Craigslist not too long ago (has popped up 2 or 3 times) that looks like it would be a good project.

Jason