News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Reproducing the 1968 two piece 22"steel fan shroud Info.

Started by 68charger383, August 06, 2009, 11:57:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

68charger383

Came across a part I've been waiting for them to reproduce: The 22" two piece steel fan shroud for 1968 383 non A/C Chargers:

Anyone buy this yet? wondering if it is worth the $250.00 + $55 for mounting kit?

I'm guessing Mancini is getting the part from somewhere else, anyone know whose making it?

I'm wondering if it is cheaper from the company making the item and if maybe we can get a group buy going on this piece?

http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/rafansh.html

B-Body Steel Radiator Fan Shroud
1962-68 22" B-Body

Steel fan shroud for use on 1962-68 B-Body cars with V-8 and 22" radiator. Two piece unit with formed fan opening lip, hose reliefs, and contours of an original part. Top and bottom stiffener is spot welded in place like original. Made from 16 gauge steel like original and powder coated low gloss black. Comes complete with both hex coni sems nuts to secure the two halves together.

Used on both Small and Big Block applications. Reference P/N 2417 423 & 2417 427

Mounts to radiator with HWC mounting kit #9212 for 1962-65 cars or kit #9555 for 1966-68 cars.
$249.00
MREHF7423

Add the shroud mounting kit http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/rafanshha.html for another $55.00 and the shroud and kit is over $300
1968 Charger 383(Sold)
2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10

charge-it

I also sell that same 2 piece steel shroud and the mounting hardware kit. They've been out for a while now. They aren't cheap. I used that same set-up on my 68 Charger and it fit perfectly. Go to www.hoffmanswinnerscircle.com. They are the ones supplying all the venders that are carrying those parts. They only sell to venders. I sell lots of their parts and the quality of their parts are top shelf. Go to Year One and you'll see how much higher over suggested retail price they sell those parts for.
Visit our new website:

http://www.pepsparts.com

Ghoste

I bought one last year from Bill Alphin and it fits great, looks great and most importantly functions great.  :2thumbs:

bull

How do these mount to the radiator? I'm curious because I want to look my radiator over carefully to see if I can mount one on it. It seems my car never came with one so I might not have the proper mounting surface to accommodate a shroud anyway. http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,29344.0.html

Also, I found a two-piece metal shroud at a wrecking yard today that was on a 63 Fury II station wagon but it doesn't look right; different mounting brackets and it does not have that side offset like this one. Aside from another 62-68 B-body are there any steel Mopar shrouds that are the same?

Ghoste

It's sort of hard for me to explain Bull but I know I have a couple of pics here someplace that I'll add to help.
Essentially, on each side bracket that is brazed to the rad core, The same "L" shaped bracket which is bolted to the rad cradle, you will find a square hole and a slot.  Another smaller bracket slides into the slot and a cage nut fits into the square hole.  The small bracket that goes into the slot is then screwed down to the cage nut and the fan shroud is bolted to that same bracket.

bull

Quote from: Ghoste on August 30, 2009, 07:11:18 PM
It's sort of hard for me to explain Bull but I know I have a couple of pics here someplace that I'll add to help.
Essentially, on each side bracket that is brazed to the rad core, The same "L" shaped bracket which is bolted to the rad cradle, you will find a square hole and a slot.  Another smaller bracket slides into the slot and a cage nut fits into the square hole.  The small bracket that goes into the slot is then screwed down to the cage nut and the fan shroud is bolted to that same bracket.

Thanks, that means that shroud I found is not right. I'll have to look at my radiator and see if it has any slots but I have a hard time believing it wouldn't for no other reason than production efficiency.

Ghoste

Here's a shot of mine Curtis.

ODZKing

The shouds should be the same 62 up to 68 as the Repop link says Bull.  If it is a 2 piece it was used on c body's too.
Our radiator side brackets have (4) - 3/4 inch slots that the bracket slides into as Ghoste pictured and it bolts to the shroud and rad.
However the mounting kit is different 62-65.  66-68 it's the same. The "mounts" come in the kit with the bolts as pictured.

41husk

Those were not out 4 years ago.  I wish I had gone that route.  I put an alumimum after market Rad and shroud in the 68 due to constant running hot and overheating.  I kept the #s matching Radiator.  Maybe if prices go down I will change it back, If I don't sell the car.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

bull

So what's a '63 Fury II wagon considered? Is it a C-body? An F-body? The two-piece shroud on the wagon mounts to two large brackets bolted to the middle of each side with two fixed bolts on one and three on the other. It's not offset to one side either and there's no notch for the upper hose.

Ghoste

Bull, in 1963 the Fury was considered a B-body (the F-body didn't come out until the Volare/Aspen models).  I can't answer as to what is on the wagon you are looking at, there is a good chance that it has been changed over the last few decades at some time. 
And Husk, no, they were not available until last year.  I agree, they aren't as cheap as the plastic reproductions that have been out for the later models for some time.  However the one I bought from Bill Alphin at A&M (and I assume the one charge-it sells is the same?) is a very high quality piece made from the same heavy guage steel as the originals.  It came with the correct hardware and finish and although I balked a little bit at first I don't regret buying it now at all.  My car is not even close to being allowed to park in concour's visitors lot but it is still nice to look under the hood and see something like the correct fan shroud on it.  I don't know why, it just is.

bull

Quote from: Ghoste on August 31, 2009, 09:19:19 AM
Bull, in 1963 the Fury was considered a B-body (the F-body didn't come out until the Volare/Aspen models).  I can't answer as to what is on the wagon you are looking at, there is a good chance that it has been changed over the last few decades at some time.  

Well, I guess it's a moot point anyway. It's definitely not the right setup and I couldn't make it work so if I'm going to install something the car never came with I'd probably buy one that's not so spendy.

And as I assumed by looking at the pics above it's apparent this repro shroud would work on my radiator because mine has the same square holes on the sides. I'll probably just wait and see how the 383's cooling system works before I worry about it.