News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Power Steering Question (Problem) FIXED.Thanks

Started by 268RTs4ME, August 31, 2009, 06:11:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

268RTs4ME

Had a power steering leak on 74 RR, replaced pump, and today replaced ps pressure hose because of leak. Seems like it is working ok however it wants to drift to the right, has anyone incountered this problem before, need a little infor on this. eplaced pump first because thought that was problem, then niticed pressure hose leaking.

John_Kunkel

Jack the front of the car so that the wheels are clear of the ground, center the steering wheel and then start the engine. If the wheel moves to one side when the engine starts you have a problem called "self steering" which is caused by a control valve that's out of adjustment. Changing the pressure hose might have disturbed the valve.

The control valve sits on top of the steering box and is held by two bolts, loosening the bolts slightly and tapping the valve toward the firewall or the opposite direction is the adjustment procedure...it's kinda a hit or miss adjustment.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

TylerCharger69

Hmmmm....another interesting piece of information I didn't know!!! :scratchchin:

268RTs4ME

Yes It wants to go to the right when I start it up. I'll check out the valve information, didknow about that one either, was thinking maybe bad gear box, have already replaced ps pump.. Thank you for the information, will check it out tommorrow.. For those would read this, I have a 74 Chrysler parts cataloge, if you need a part # I can probably help some. Thanks again. I dont need self steering , I already have ps, air and cruise, and am/fm music, what else would you want???

alcusswhen

Also there are two o rings under the control valve those things cause mystery leaks and self steer. With all the other work you have done it would be best to replace those o rings. 94 was the last year I needed the o rings at that time you could buy them from the dealer, but I don't have a clue weather or not you can today. I do know FirmFeel.com has them. Or you can order a complete seal kit at Advance or Auto Zone cheap and use the o rings that's in the kit.
Bone 7

73 Charger SE/ 318/391 stroker, 2500 Boss Hogg converter/ 391 sure grip.
07 Charger R/T

John_Kunkel

Quote from: 268RTs4ME on September 02, 2009, 08:04:30 PM
Yes It wants to go to the right when I start it up.

In that case you want to move the valve down away from the firewall...it doesn't take much.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

268RTs4ME

Thanks for all the info, will first try adjustment, it that doesn't work, will go with seal replacement.. I that don't work then I do have another gear box.. Tks

268RTs4ME

Thanks John Kunkel adjusted contol valve on top of gear box little at a time and cured my self steering.. everyones  help is very much appreciated. Thanks Larry   :2thumbs:

Silver R/T

does the belt screech? Mine did that and I found out that belt was loose. So I stuck a prybar under p/s pump and pushed on it as I tightened bolts. Problem went away
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722