News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Cast crank motor balancing

Started by Sixt8Chrgr, September 01, 2009, 05:14:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sixt8Chrgr

I do not have the harmonic balancer for my cast crank motor and the motor has been rebuilt. The yoyo I bought the motor from sold his Charger with many motor parts in it that went with my motor I bought from him. Do I have any options other than tearing the motor apart and rebalancing with a new balancer?

Thanks,

firefighter3931

That could be a tough one. If you know that the replacement pistons are the same weight as stock then you can use a stock balancer..... but if the bob weight has changed at all then it's time to rebalance. Some aftermarket pistons are significantly lighter than the stockers and this will throw dynamic balance out the window.

Any idea what pistons are currently installed in the engine ?

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Sixt8Chrgr

No I dont. I guess it is time to pull the heads?  Any other ideas?

RD

there is no other option.  you have to find out what you have in order to determine what type of balancer you are going to need.  if you do not go this route, you will waste a crankshaft, rods, main and rod bearings, and possibly something else when feel a huge vibration prior to a kaboom.. of course, that is my apocalyptic side speaking :D
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

Sixt8Chrgr

Quote from: RD on September 01, 2009, 09:09:43 PM
there is no other option.  you have to find out what you have in order to determine what type of balancer you are going to need.  if you do not go this route, you will waste a crankshaft, rods, main and rod bearings, and possibly something else when feel a huge vibration prior to a kaboom.. of course, that is my apocalyptic side speaking :D
I agree with you. Unless if find the balancer. Which I am on the hunt for. But still a risk of that not being the right one.