News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Another '68 383/2bbl/4speed on Ebay right now

Started by bull, August 30, 2009, 06:18:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

charge-it

If he gets his price for that car I should be able to get 40K+ for my car. My pick it apart list on that car is huge. If I had that car as it sits I would have to start over from scratch. It is one of very few made but it doesn`t matter.
Visit our new website:

http://www.pepsparts.com

PocketThunder

I hate to say it but McHenry, IL is not too far from Lake Villa, IL.  I dont thinks its one of Hans though.
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Dans 68

He knows now that it is one of 74. I am trying to get the fender tag info (for posterity, of course  :icon_smile_wink:) Nice car, though.

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

Charger440RDN

It's been for sale for a while now, something must not be right with it.  :shruggy:

bull

Quote from: Dans 68 on August 31, 2009, 04:26:27 PM
He know now that it is one of 74. I am trying to get the fender tag info (for posterity, of course  :icon_smile_wink:) Nice car, though.

Dan

I told him shortly after starting this thread. That's my email he posted telling him it's 1 of 74 and then he asked where I got that info. I really don't remember where I got it; anymore it's just a fact in my head. :shruggy:

6bblgt

With as much as is not "factory correct" on that car, who knows what it was?  Was/is there a claim that the car is an original 4-speed car?

If it has a fender tag?

bull

Quote from: 6bblgt on August 31, 2009, 10:09:03 PM
With as much as is not "factory correct" on that car, who knows what it was?  Was/is there a claim that the car is an original 4-speed car?

If it has a fender tag?

There's no picture of the VIN or fender tag but he does have the VIN posted. You can't see the shifter either. :shruggy:

Dans 68

I just got a response to my "fender tag" question...he says "it didn't come with a fender tag". I think I"ll ask next to get a shot of the VIN number off of the A-833 (if it has it, that is).  :P

As far as the shifter, it looks to be an Inland in the videos. Very hard to say for certain as the shots pan rapidly. There was no console installed in the video, so it could be either with or without one.

With no fender tag, buildsheet or matching numbers transmission it would be difficult to say for certain it is an original '68 383 4-speed. You would need to do a detailed forensic examination to be sure.

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

TylerCharger69

Did anyone notice that the engine is orange from the top pic....and blue from underneath????  Hmmmmm... :scratchchin:  Not to mention the '69 interior (seats)....those ARE a '69 pattern aren't they??

694spdRT

It has been on Craigslist too. I would question whether it is originally a 4 speed until proven so.

I am switching my '68 383 automatic over to a 4 speed soon so it does happen a lot.
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

200MPH

I also own one of these cars my car is the 383 2bbl,4 speed, disc brake,buddy seat car ,drk green with green interior it is from texas.

I ve heard that this is a rare combination? who would order a cars set up like this and why was there only 74 made? sorry to hijack 
Charger

Dans 68

Quote from: 200MPH on September 01, 2009, 08:40:48 PM
...I ve heard that this is a rare combination? who would order a cars set up like this and why was there only 74 made? sorry to hijack 

The most likely reason for only qty 74 made is that very few people wanted (ordered?) the combination of a 2-bbl and 4-speed 383. And remember there were only 259 of the 383 4-bbl 4-speeds (a decidedly more sporty combination) made also so.... If one wanted a 4-speed (meaning "Performance") Charger in 1968 one usually ordered the R/T (the most sporty combination  :icon_smile_big:). Thousands of those were made, and are thus not very rare.  :icon_smile_wink:

Dan

200MPH

Thank you for the Insight my engine and trans are missing so i will be installing a BB of some kind !
Charger

bull

Quote from: 200MPH on September 01, 2009, 08:40:48 PM
I also own one of these cars my car is the 383 2bbl,4 speed, disc brake,buddy seat car ,drk green with green interior it is from texas.

I ve heard that this is a rare combination? who would order a cars set up like this and why was there only 74 made? sorry to hijack 

Good question. Why were any of them ordered that way? My only guess is that 74 people had the theory that a 2bbl/4 speed combo would generate some decent fuel economy for a big block if they kept their foot out of it. So why not choose a 318 or slant 6? I don't know. :shruggy: I wish we could ask one of the original owners and find out what they were thinking.

200MPH

Charger

6bblgt

Customers wanting or concerned with towing/load capacity got the best "bang for the buck" with the 383 2bbl & 4-speed.

A/C was another accessory that many thought was too much for a 318 in a Charger, just not enough get-up-n-go.

8b303121 is well into HURST usage.