News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Car show cut off date set at 1971. That sucks for 72 Muscle cars

Started by 1969chargerrtse, August 30, 2009, 08:00:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nacho-RT74

Even thinking the power drop was for real, both got diff measurements to avoid Insurances even more... Gross Vs Net HPs
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Ghoste

Surely there is room for all inclusive shows and ones with restrictions?

greenpigs

I like seeing it all. Nothing makes a ricer look for his ps3 quicker than a REAL car with balls. I love seeing that happen and dont mind new rides.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

miller

The car shows here try to include the "tuner crowd" but they never show up, so when it rains and I don't want to take my Charger to the car show I take the GTP instead... apparently an 05 GTP is a tuner.. because it won 1st place in the tuner class....

wouldn't have anything to do with the fact none of the real "tuners" shown up.... nope nothing at all....

2005 Harley Davidson 1200 Sportster Custom - Maggie
2012 370Z NISMO - Courtney
1979 Corvette L-82 - Lilly
1969 Dodge Charger R/T Clone - Vanessa

Troy

There's apparently some sort of new Chevy/GM small SUV that's badged as an "SS". It was at the cruise-in tonight with the "show cars" but I didn't stop long enough to look or take a picture. Soon there will be a "soccer mom mini van" award...

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

oldrock

they had a new camaro at the show I was at also. Don't know anything about it cause I didn't even look. They also had a couple newish trucks but from the glance I gave them, I think they did at least have tricked out engines. Gladly I didn't see many if any rice burners at the show. I'd say 90% were true 60s or 70s muscle cars with a few other things mixed in. My son and I enjoyed the show and we are thinking about taking our muscle cars to a show some day.   

41husk

All shows are put on to make money for some club, organization or charity,  so the classes are put in to insure that happening.  A small show 100 or less cars will not make money if they have 40 or more classes with 3 awards per class.   If the awards cost $10 per that is $120.  Throw in 3 special awards, Best in show, Best paint, Best stereo, etc.  and you have spent $150 on awards.  @ $15 per entry you have only brought in $150.  Every one leaves happy because they have a dust collector for the shelf but the people who did all the work don't make any money.  To avoid this you try to combine classes with fewer entries.  I like having one of my cars recognized with an award but would rather win nothing and be able to look at a large number of great cars.
The thing I hate worse than large catch all classes like stock 1960- 1975 (I was at a show with that gap), is going to a show that has 120 awards over 200 cars and only gives out 100 awards.  Some shows have classes with only 1 or two entries and rather than giving two 2nds or thirds in a class with 25 entries. 
I prefer cruizes, even though most are just shows void of awards and entry fees put on at local establishments to boost sales and foot traffic on that night.  We have had a few cruizes were people actualy drive there cars in precession from point to point.  What ever you prefer, they all help to get the hobby recognition and possibly hook that young gun.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

oldrock

re cruise ins, there is a sonic drive in restaurant in our area that does those. Going to find out what day of the month it is and start doing it. Will be a good way for my son and I to break into things since I don't think they have any judging at all... just a bunch of cars that get together to meet and eat.

41husk

Quote from: oldrock on August 31, 2009, 12:57:33 PM
re cruise ins, there is a sonic drive in restaurant in our area that does those. Going to find out what day of the month it is and start doing it. Will be a good way for my son and I to break into things since I don't think they have any judging at all... just a bunch of cars that get together to meet and eat.

Yes and you can come and go as you please.  I have even tricked my wife into going to the local Culberts cruize night.  The resterount is in Collinsville the same town she has many relatives in.  They are a big family and it seems there is some birthday or get together every weekend.  She hates to drive so I told her I would go with her if I could take the 73.  (She hates the 73 it's very loud) On the way,  What do you know?  Hey look! a car show at that resteraunt, lets stop in for a bit.  After a little time she says are you about ready to go.  NO!  Why don't you drop me off and you can come back.  I can have my mom and dad take me home.  That sounds like a great idea, your so smart! :2thumbs:
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

Brock Samson

'72 has allways been the cut off for me, '67 '68 and especially the '69s have allways been the sweet spot for my Favs. Seems every car built in those years Kicked ass or at least had a High Performance version I'd love to own.
IMO In '70 there was a noticable drop off in my Favorites with the Chally being a big exception...
and by '73 there wasn't much left was there?..  :shruggy:
  I think it's nice to include the later Muscle say up to '75, but i really don't find them very desirable, it's nice to see a later Mustang/Cougar, Torino GT or SS 454 or even a Magnum/Cordoba/Mirada but...  :shruggy:
Perhaps '72-80 should be a special class and the real muscle '56 (300 Fury for example) through '72 be the main Category... It might be harder to find the beginning of the muscle car era then the end...
Just my thoughts on the subject...

Ponch ®

if the organizers want to set their cutoff at a given year and want only certain cars, that's fine with me. It's probably just not a very smart move business wise, esp. if it's one of those deals where the object is to make some $.

On the other hand, I have seen some rather imbecilic criteria at some other car shows. The annual Glendale Cruise Night is adamant that their cut off is 1973 (which is reasonable in an of itself), but apparently they have no problem with having a Hyundai Accent from the local dealership because they shelled out a few bucks. There was also another show a few months ago where the cut off was also 1973 EXCEPT for Mustangs, Camaros, and Challengers. So theoretically a '96 Mustang with a V6 could have made it in, but one of my buddies' supercharged 600hp Chargers or 300s wouldn't have because it's not a "muscle car".  :shruggy:
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

Charger440RDN

Quote from: Silver R/T on August 30, 2009, 01:52:40 PM
around here some people bring late model cars to classic car shows and pretend like there's nothing wrong

I never really understood this either, these are cars that you can see everyday in the Wal Mart parking lot.  :shruggy: Where i live they do the same thing and bring these brand new cars to the car shows here with no modifications. I just ignore them and walk straight over to the "REAL" classic car section. When I go to a car show i don't want to see NEW CRAP!! The reason I am there is to look at cars you don't see everyday  :brickwall: