News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How to remove my 68 charger differential

Started by ktneifert09, October 03, 2009, 12:40:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ktneifert09

Bought a 68 to restore with my 15 year old.  We want to pull the rear end and make sure it's clean inside.  Pulled all the nuts off and let it drain but the darn thing won't come off - pulling and prying don't help.  Any ideas on what's going on?  Thanks!
Plans are useless; planning is indispensible.
Especially with an old car!

Rolling_Thunder

you have to remove the axles - or at least pull them out about a foot -
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

dpm68

LeadfootBob

Watch the spacers in the differential and make sure you put them back in, you'll understand why if you put it back together without 'em and suddently find it impossible to adjust axle endplay...   :RantExplode:
Proud member of the jack stand racing team since 1999.
'70 Charger 500: "Bronson", some kind of hillbilly hot rod in progress.
'89 Chevy Caprice 9C1: "it's got a cop motor..."

ktneifert09

Thanks guys - pain in the rear but at least now we know what needs to be done.  Oh well, now we'll also know the axles are good...
Plans are useless; planning is indispensible.
Especially with an old car!

Sublime/Sixpack

As allready stated you do not need to pull the axles out all the way, but if you do (for whatever reasons) be sure not to drag the splines of the axles across the seals because the splines can cut the seals and cause them to leak).
1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak

rt green

third string oil changer