News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Summit Paint

Started by 71mopar383, August 30, 2009, 06:36:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

71mopar383

Has anyone had the chance to use the new line of summit brand paints?  I'm going to attempt to do the bodywork myself  and thought this might be a option if I decided to paint it myself in the garage.. :slap:

jaak

Its re-labeled Kirker paint. its a single stage urethane. Buy it from http://www.smartshoppersinc.com/kirker/acrylic-urethanes.html , it will be cheaper. Pretty decent 'cheap' paint. Thats what I used for the engine bay on my 73. On my 69 what little bit of painting Ive done so far I used Nason Base (Dupont's cheeper line) and Nason 465-00 clear.

Jason

TylerCharger69

Oh...Nason.....PeeeeeYoooooo!!!!   Sorry....I just HATE that paint...For a single stage paint, and somewhat cheap....If you want Dupont...I would go with Centauri

jaak

Quote from: TylerCharger69 on August 30, 2009, 07:14:58 PM
Oh...Nason.....PeeeeeYoooooo!!!!   Sorry....I just HATE that paint...For a single stage paint, and somewhat cheap....If you want Dupont...I would go with Centauri

Ive never tried Nason single stage....did use Nason BC/CC on 69 engine bay.

Jason

71mopar383

I've never done bodywork or painted but at one point i had never built a motor, tranny or rear end either.  Thats the only thing on the car I havent done so I want to try it.  It looked like a inexpensive and simple package for a 1st timer that doesnt have access to a booth.  Its not a show car I plan on beaten on it pretty good so i dont want to spend 5-10k on a paint job, maybe one day but not anytime soon.

Rolling_Thunder

I am planning on running summit paint on my convertible satellite sooner or later - I have to pull the poly first and all -
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Mike DC

Centari is enamel rather than urethane.  I probably wouldn't wanna spray a whole car or a big item with it, simply because urethane is so much more durable after all the work of doing a paintjob. 

But Centari is very forgiving of mistakes.  Urethane isn't.  If you're trying to teach yourself to use a spray gun on minor stuff and/or just goofing around with testing colors, Centari's not bad.