News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

six pack question??

Started by vancamp, August 25, 2009, 08:38:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vancamp

running a six pack set up on a stock 440, its running a bit rich at idle at cruisining speed has a slight miss but when you open up all three the miss goes away, im thinking possibly a accelerator pump maybe causing it to lean out at cruising speed. any thoughts

b5blue

Have you checked idle settings on the outboards? If you cover the 2 outside holes in the throat with your fingers >.  . .  .< (on the outboard carb, 1 at a time) and idle = same OK, up too rich, down too lean. Adj is 2 screws in front of base. Do you have Curb Idle Solenoid adjusted?  :scratchchin:

vancamp

will have to try that next time im home where the car is. thanks

firefighter3931

Quote from: b5blue on August 26, 2009, 11:10:52 AM
Have you checked idle settings on the outboards? If you cover the 2 outside holes in the throat with your fingers >.  . .  .< (on the outboard carb, 1 at a time) and idle = same OK, up too rich, down too lean. Adj is 2 screws in front of base. Do you have Curb Idle Solenoid adjusted?  :scratchchin:

Neal addressed the rich idle with solid advice.  :2thumbs: You just have to adjust the idle mixture to lean it out a bit.  :yesnod:

The miss at cruise could be ignition related or fuel related. I allways start by dialing in the ignition curve then worry about carburation. More often than not i've seen vacuum advance cause poor drivability issues so i allways disable it. You might try disabling the vacuum advance to see if that helps. Your total timing should be 36-38* all in by 2800 rpm for best performance. The initial timing depends on the cam profile as well as other factors but i've found that most mild builds like at least 15* at idle.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

vancamp

Quote from: firefighter3931 on August 27, 2009, 12:46:16 AM
Quote from: b5blue on August 26, 2009, 11:10:52 AM
Have you checked idle settings on the outboards? If you cover the 2 outside holes in the throat with your fingers >.  . .  .< (on the outboard carb, 1 at a time) and idle = same OK, up too rich, down too lean. Adj is 2 screws in front of base. Do you have Curb Idle Solenoid adjusted?  :scratchchin:

Neal addressed the rich idle with solid advice.  :2thumbs: You just have to adjust the idle mixture to lean it out a bit.  :yesnod:

The miss at cruise could be ignition related or fuel related. I allways start by dialing in the ignition curve then worry about carburation. More often than not i've seen vacuum advance cause poor drivability issues so i allways disable it. You might try disabling the vacuum advance to see if that helps. Your total timing should be 36-38* all in by 2800 rpm for best performance. The initial timing depends on the cam profile as well as other factors but i've found that most mild builds like at least 15* at idle.

Ron

vacuum advance is disconnecteced
the cam is stock.

b5blue

If ya hook a timing light up you can "map out" your advance by revving it up to see what's going on my old one was crap! :o (NAPA Re-built)