News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

The new guy...

Started by DavidSL, August 27, 2009, 10:35:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidSL

Thanks for all the kind replies, guys - really nice warm welcome!  :cheers:

I feel like I've learnt so much already, just from reading the replies here and looking at the printouts I took from the car bible site - learning all about 2-stroke and 4-stroke engines, how/why they work, and now onto spark plugs and carburetors. Finding it really fascinating, too, so I'm just enjoying the whole learning experience immensely.

The great thing is that I now know that if I find the Charger I'm looking for, I can modify and alter it to how I like over time. I think that's part of the excitement of this.

I shall definitely join the MMA - I'm looking at their site now and I gotta say just seeing the classifieds they've had over the years, it looks to be a promising place for the future when it comes to me buying one of these beautiful cars. Money being what it is now, I'm wondering whether to hold off joining until January, as I pay a full membership now and it only runs up until the end of December. That said, I'm keen to learn as much as I can - and get in touch with people in the UK who can help me out with the search for a car. I shall certainly be looking to the UK primarily, I want to go and see these cars before I buy one.

So much to learn and think about! Once again, thanks, and please keep the replies coming, I'm learning so much from all of you!  :2thumbs:

69bronzeT5

Welcome to the site! Listen to what Bull and the others are saying, they are giving some great advice :2thumbs:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

DavidSL

Thanks 69bronzeT5, I certainly am and will!  :2thumbs:

I do have one question that's been bugging me - I fell in love with the design of the 1970 Charger 500, but then saw this http://inventory.bestofshowautomotive.com/CarDetails_new_arrivals.asp?VIN=131622 and other pictures of the '68 - and am trying to work out the difference in model shape? Is there any difference in size, shape or anything like that, or is it more internal changes for the '70 model?

69bronzeT5

Quote from: DavidSL on August 28, 2009, 01:22:47 PM
Thanks 69bronzeT5, I certainly am and will!  :2thumbs:

I do have one question that's been bugging me - I fell in love with the design of the 1970 Charger 500, but then saw this http://inventory.bestofshowautomotive.com/CarDetails_new_arrivals.asp?VIN=131622 and other pictures of the '68 - and am trying to work out the difference in model shape? Is there any difference in size, shape or anything like that, or is it more internal changes for the '70 model?

That's 1hotDaytona's old '68 but you already know that.
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,60712.60.html

The shape of the '68-'70 Chargers are virtually the same. As you can see between the pictures though, the '68 and '70 Charger are two completely different beasts visually.

DavidSL

Ah yeah, I did realise it was his, I commented on his thread out of appreciation  :2thumbs:

I apologise, but I'm somewhat confused - do you mean they are a different beast based on what's going on inside? From what I can see, the shape isn't different. I can imagine a '70 Charger painted black with the same interior would look the same? I guess you can make the same modifications?

I'm not too worried at this stage, I'm planning at LEAST a year before I can even consider buying one, but it's peaked my curiosity!

Also - I'm assuming the term 'clone' refers to a car that has been modified to replicate the model the owner was aiming for, like a normal Charger being modified to R/T specifications? I do apologise for the onset of questions, I'm a keen learner!  :icon_smile_wink:

69bronzeT5

Quote from: DavidSL on August 28, 2009, 01:46:04 PM
Also - I'm assuming the term 'clone' refers to a car that has been modified to replicate the model the owner was aiming for, like a normal Charger being modified to R/T specifications?

Yes :yesnod:

The differences between the '68 and '70 Charger....

-Front end (fenders, grille, hood, bumper, valance)
-Rear end (taillights, taillight panel, rear valance)
-Side (marker lights are round in '68- rectangular in '70)
-Interior (door panels, seats etc)

Those are just some of the differences. If you look at pictures of them, you should be able to tell the differences. From what I know, the chassis' are the exact same.

bull

Let's put it this way for the sake of simplicity: the exteriors of the 68 and 70 are virtually identical from the front of the doors back (except for side marker lights, backup lights and tail lights) and very different from the front of the doors forward. The exteriors of the 68 and 69 are virtually the same front to back except for marker lights, backup lights, tail lights and grill. All three years are considered the second generation of the Charger because they have pretty much the same sheet metal all three years, especially to the majority of the public. The 66-67 Charger is considered the first generation and the 71-74 is the third generation.

DavidSL

Ah that pretty much covers it - thanks guys!  :cheers:

I've always preferred the back of the 1970 Dodge Charger 500 - I can see the Charger used in Bullitt had a much less attractive back bumper than later models - but the photo of 1hotdaytona's '68 seems to be different somehow, definitely more attractive.

Looking at both the '68 and '70 now, however, I can see the differences. In fact, I think my head has been turned, the '68 is starting to look a lot nicer!  :drool5:

69bronzeT5

Quote from: DavidSL on August 28, 2009, 03:42:33 PM
I can see the Charger used in Bullitt had a much less attractive back bumper than later models - but the photo of 1hotdaytona's '68 seems to be different somehow, definitely more attractive.

Same year and model of car :shruggy: In fact, 1hotDaytona's old '68 was used in a Bullitt type photo shoot not too long ago.

DavidSL

Quote from: 69bronzeT5Same year and model of car :shruggy: In fact, 1hotDaytona's old '68 was used in a Bullitt type photo shoot not too long ago.

Then I think it's just me...  ::)

I think seeing the overall package like that I'm seeing it differently. Hmm. Anyway, the '68 seems to be the most popular around here, it is an awfully nice car. I'm aware people have consistently told me not to be concerned about the size of it, but I do have a feeling I'm gonna look a little too small sitting in that car - It's not that I'm tiny - I'm 5'6"-5'7"ish, but after seeing that clip from our show Top Gear with Richard Hammond in the '68 (he's about the same height as me) it looks like he can barely see above the steering wheel!

I don't know why this concerns me so much, but I want a car I'm gonna be comfortable in and look good in as well, I don't wanna be dwarfed by this beauty!  :lol: