News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Sure Grip replacement

Started by Just 6T9 CHGR, August 27, 2009, 05:35:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Just 6T9 CHGR

About 5-6 years ago I rebuilt my 489 case with 3.55's. At that time I knew the orig cone type SG was pretty worn.   Lately "one wheel peels" have been evident as well as some chugging from the rear when slowing down.
So I just bit the bullet and bought a new repro SG (clutch type) from Dr. Diff over on Moparts.
He sells them at a great price.  The new SG, two new Timken side bearings pressed on, new gasket & a bottle of additive shipped to my door all for $421
Hopefully the install will go smoothly and pretty soon have no more noise & 2 black marks on the street!
:drive:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

firefighter3931

The clutch units are very nice and of course rebuildable. Good choice Chris  :2thumbs:

Being the tire smokin bandit that you are maybe a locker would have been a better choice  :lol:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

1BAD68

Thats a great price.
I bought a used 742 chunk w/3:55's for mine and got the rebuild kit from Dr. Diff and spent about that much.
I would have been better off with the package you just bought.

Just 6T9 CHGR

After doing a little shopping, Cass had the best price (and free tech advice) around.
I did mention to him that after the place I had set up the gears, they were a little noisy on acceleration.  I thought by resetting the backlash that I could get the noise out.  He said unfortunatley once a gear set is noisy it will always be noisy....I'm sure I can live with the noise.... It ain't no Lexus ;)
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: NOT Just 6T9 CHGR on August 27, 2009, 11:44:21 AM
  I thought by resetting the backlash that I could get the noise out.  He said unfortunatley once a gear set is noisy it will always be noisy....

REALLY?
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Just 6T9 CHGR

Yes because once a wear pattern has set into the gears its all over.....
Chris' '69 Charger R/T