News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Gear Vendor's overdrive unit for our 727's

Started by hemi68charger, August 26, 2009, 07:28:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemi68charger

Hey gang...
Is the Gear Vendor overdrive units nothing more than Chrysler OEM overdrive units on, say my '98 Ram? Or, are they a totally different design to bolt to the back of my 727? I'm wishing to keep the original 4:10's in my Daytona, but want the overdrive capability. I drove the car for the first last weekend on one of our local highways here in Houston and man, it sucked......... Right lane all the time and it's just not right in a Daytona!!!  :icon_smile_big:

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Mick70RR

The overdrives were originally made by Laycock here in England. GKN later took over production until recently when Gear Vendors bought all remaining stock and tooling. The Gear Vendors version is much stronger than the original overdrives and will handle at least 1200hp.
I have one behind my 4 speed and run 3.91 gears, 70mph = 2600rpm.
1970 Road Runner, 505 cid, 4 speed, GV overdrive, 3.91 gears
11.98 @ 117 on street treads

gordo1968charger

i m running 4:10s and with the overdrive on its more or less the same as the 3:23 i was running previous to that. :2thumbs:
68 charger+4 kids=2 jobs

Rolling_Thunder

they are different units that bolt in place of your original tail shaft of your 727...      :2thumbs:
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

hemi68charger

Quote from: gordo1968charger on August 26, 2009, 11:42:46 AM
i m running 4:10s and with the overdrive on its more or less the same as the 3:23 i was running previous to that. :2thumbs:

You have a Gear Vendor unit?
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

John_Kunkel

i m running 4:10s and with the overdrive on its more or less the same as the 3:23 i was running previous to that.

The final ratio with 4.10's and a GV is 3.20
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

mauve66

i had to ",massage" the trans tunnell of my 1st gen a little bit, are you sure you want to do that to your PERFECT LOOKING car???

oh yeah, yes they are different
some liek them. some hate them.  i haven't gotten to try mine yet and its going on 7 years now.........................................
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

RECHRGD

I've got one on my car.  With 3.55's, I believe my final ratio comes out at about 2.76.  I like the unit, but have had vibration problems that I've been trying to sort out every sense I installed it.  It has to do with getting the pinion angle just right.  Bob
13.53 @ 105.32

mauve66

not to hijack, but you STILL haven't gotten rid of that vibration??  hadn't seen any updates
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
alignment

RECHRGD

Quote from: mauve66 on August 26, 2009, 06:19:25 PM
not to hijack, but you STILL haven't gotten rid of that vibration??  hadn't seen any updates

NO!!  The last thing that I did was take off the schumaker engine and tranny mounts and replaced them with stock units.  That  made the problem much less noticable, but it's still there.  None of the pinion angle settings stopped it.  Going against conventional wisdom, my dyno guy had the same problem with a bad ass challenger that he was building for some guy.  He cured it by putting the pig in a 6 degree nose down position.  That will be my next attempt to cure this thing.   Bob
13.53 @ 105.32

472 R/T SE

Ah yes, the Gear Vibration overdrive.  I noticed the vibration right away too.  Also a clutch burning smell.  Never did figure that out.  

Let me know if you decide to get one Troy.  There's a guy down in Oregon that discounts them, Bob & Ranger Max & don't know who else have went through him.  Dealers' aren't suppose to discount, like TTI.  I talked to him at the Roadster Show & he said he'd also do a group buy on them.

My car required zero tunnel persuasion.  Only problem was the speedo adapter they sent was wrong.

I'm still running .55's but am gonna put my new Power Lock .91's in to take advantage of it.

Best mod so far.

68X426

Troy: I can add that the GV is a must have from my experience (limited as it is). Life in the right lane is not worth living. The OD gets 4.10 down to 3.20 and into the fast lane.

It's only good vibrations in my 660hp Hemi RR.  :yesnod:  It's 600 miles new but there are no issues with vibrations. Have not done any quarters yet.

It is programmed to kick in at 48 mph (pre-set at factory?), and I find that when I jump hard on the gas it will hit OD at 42 or so. I can then feather the pedal and cruise at 30mph at only 1300 rpm. On the highway it's 2700 rpm at 70 and easy to have a conversation.

Best of all: highway mileage is 13.8 ! Granted, just 2 trips of 120 miles each. But that's from a 660 hp Hemi and 4.10s, all thanks to the GV. Best bang for the buck there is.

I'm not tech enough to know the "why for's", but the tech guys say the unit is completely bomb-proof and will outlast everything else on the car.

Hope you can hook one up, Dan.

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

gordo1968charger

Quote from: hemi68charger on August 26, 2009, 02:04:10 PM

You have a Gear Vendor unit?
yes,treat myself back in xmas 2007,wife still does nt know :2thumbs:
i put a post on here regarding keisler overdrive versus gear vendors,mr angry swears by his and he does about 30000 miles a year with his unit.
the hardest part of fitting was getting the old tail unit off,wiring was straight forward and i ve had no issues at all.
year one sent me the wrong coupler and i had to wait a few weeks for them to sort it out but it was during the winter so it did nt bother me too much.
68 charger+4 kids=2 jobs

mauve66

oh yeah, my old version had a straight on adaptor for the speedo at the trans, the tunnel on a 1st gen is so tight i had to get them to send me a 90 degree adapter, don't know if its standard on the kit now or not
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
alignment