News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

My 68 Charger Project....is now a Pro Street Project!

Started by HollyWoodCharger, August 25, 2009, 04:12:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HollyWoodCharger

I got Real Lucky today on a Great Score at a local Tire Shop, The Owner remembered my old Charger and couldn't stop talking about it from it's Legacy on the Streets locally 10 years ago...

When I told him about my current Project and I said I was seriously looking at Tubbing this one out as well, he looked at me and said I have just what you need at a price you'll like!

He had "2" 31x18.50-15 Mickey Thompson Sportsmans in the back room of the shop, and he let me have them for $150.00 for the Pair....

These still had the Knubs on the corners of the tread, and appear to be the full 8/32's depth...

It looks like I'll need to Narrow the Frame Rails about 10" or so and the Rear End will need a similar Reduction in width!

Blown70

Save the headache and just do a full back 1/2 now, add a 4 link.....nice tires :2thumbs:

tan top

Quote from: Blown70 on August 25, 2009, 05:08:42 PM
Save the headache and just do a full back 1/2 now, add a 4 link.....nice tires :2thumbs:

:yesnod:  yeah , with that amount of rubber  , back half it  :coolgleamA:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

MoparManJim

You know, I hate to say this, but some folks in the Dukes hobby gets grief about turning chargers into General Lee's But when you think about it, it's all bolt on stuff and paint. But now when you do the pro thing, you have to cut the car up alittle, now why don't these kind of folks also get the grief about that. That's more worst then a charger getting bolt on items and a paint job that can be turn around easy. With pro stuff like this, you have to cut the back of the car up and then tube the thing out. Doesn't make sense at all.

HollyWoodCharger

I'm looking at using one of Chris Alston Chassis works Rear Frame kit with a 4 link and Coil overs, but if the Budget doesn't permit that, I'll install a Leaf Spring Rear suspension, but I'm sure a 4 link and coil overs will be in the Budget.

HollyWoodCharger

Quote from: MoparManJim on August 25, 2009, 06:12:03 PM
You know, I hate to say this, but some folks in the Dukes hobby gets grief about turning chargers into General Lee's But when you think about it, it's all bolt on stuff and paint. But now when you do the pro thing, you have to cut the car up alittle, now why don't these kind of folks also get the grief about that. That's more worst then a charger getting bolt on items and a paint job that can be turn around easy. With pro stuff like this, you have to cut the back of the car up and then tube the thing out. Doesn't make sense at all.

This Charger is waaaay to far Gone for a stock rebuild, and it was 318 auto to begin with, so it'll be worth more as a
Pro Street Car, I passed on a couple of 383 and 440 Chargers when I was looking for a suitable candidate for this build.

I'd never do this to a original Big Block or Charger R/T.........

besides when this one is done and rolling, it won't have a original or stock part on it, everything will be ReProduction or aftermarket...

mopar_nut_440_6

Looks like a fun project. Can't wait to watch you tackle it. I love pro street cars!
1968 Charger R/T 440 
2004 Dodge Ram 2500 680 HP Cummins with attitude

69rtse4spd

Boy dose that bring back memories,ran a set like that on my first car [69 S.E.], called them N-50s. Had to run air shockes with a J. C. PENNYS air pump hooked up under the hood, to keep from rubbing the out side sidewall. Man really takes me back, to the way back machine SHERMAN!.

HollyWoodCharger

Quote from: 69rtse4spd on August 25, 2009, 08:21:40 PM
Boy dose that bring back memories,ran a set like that on my first car [69 S.E.], called them N-50s. Had to run air shockes with a J. C. PENNYS air pump hooked up under the hood, to keep from rubbing the out side sidewall. Man really takes me back, to the way back machine SHERMAN!.

It's going to be done a bit differently than the way they were back in the Day, The body shell will be lowered down over the tires with the top of the fenderwell arche at or slightly below the Rim lip at the top........

I'm not sure if I explained that right or not!  :smilielol: :lol:  :slap:

HighFlyingWedge69

Looks good.  :2thumbs:  A 4-link is the way to go, but it does cut into the back seat area a little. I even made custom bars, frame rails, and brackets. still might have a bulge in the seat. Good luck. Keep the pics coming. :icon_smile_big: :popcrn: That's the look I'm going for too. :2thumbs:

Blown70

Quote from: HollyWoodCharger on August 25, 2009, 07:59:35 PM

I'm looking at using one of Chris Alston Chassis works Rear Frame kit with a 4 link and Coil overs, but if the Budget doesn't permit that, I'll install a Leaf Spring Rear suspension, but I'm sure a 4 link and coil overs will be in the Budget.

That is what was used in my 70, ALSTON... if you want some pics let me know.... Be happy to post them or I know I have posted them here before.

Same was this 70, it would have been totaled had it not beeen turned into a prostreet car.  IIRC the car was hit by a bus in the back and that pushed it into a truck which then totaled the front 1/2. 

Love to see your progress  :2thumbs:

gordo1968charger

68 charger+4 kids=2 jobs

ZSmithersCharges

I see where your going and it does make sense but when you make a pro-street your not really thinking about going back to original anyways.  But i think why people dont have a problem with tubbing and custom fabbing pro street classics the way they do with how they think of GLs is because the Dukes cars are more for show.  But when your building a drag car... your actually going to use it to its full potential which, who can get mad at that  :icon_smile_big: even if it never does return to original condition or melts in some junkyard after a crash you cant say it didnt have a good life!  Also just to clarify im sure there are a large amount of you that actually do push your Generals to the limit and I commend you for that but the vast majority of them are just lawn ornaments.

HollyWoodCharger

Quote from: Blown70 on August 25, 2009, 10:28:42 PM
Quote from: HollyWoodCharger on August 25, 2009, 07:59:35 PM

That is what was used in my 70, ALSTON... if you want some pics let me know.... Be happy to post them or I know I have posted them here before.

Same was this 70, it would have been totaled had it not beeen turned into a prostreet car.  IIRC the car was hit by a bus in the back and that pushed it into a truck which then totaled the front 1/2. 

Love to see your progress  :2thumbs:

I'd be really interested in seeing any Pics you have of the 70, it might give me some ideas on this one....

I have a feeling this build will take some time to complete, but it'll be worth it...

HollyWoodCharger

Quote from: ZSmithersCharges on August 26, 2009, 03:01:04 AM

I see where your going and it does make sense but when you make a pro-street your not really thinking about going back to original anyways.  But i think why people dont have a problem with tubbing and custom fabbing pro street classics the way they do with how they think of GLs is because the Dukes cars are more for show.  But when your building a drag car... your actually going to use it to its full potential which, who can get mad at that  :icon_smile_big: even if it never does return to original condition or melts in some junkyard after a crash you cant say it didnt have a good life!  Also just to clarify im sure there are a large amount of you that actually do push your Generals to the limit and I commend you for that but the vast majority of them are just lawn ornaments.

This one will see very little strip action, I'm building a nice Street Driver, and Cruise night Ride, and it'll probably be seen at the All-Chrysler Nats after it's done, and most of the local Car shows...

I just want to have it so I can Drive and enjoy it...

no318

Looking good, man.   I am anxiously watching and waiting to see those fat tires tucked under there!

69*F5*SE

Good decision, can't wait to see the build pics already.   :2thumbs:

tan top

not that much of a biggie now doing that to a car with a rusty back end !!  if you want to put back to OEM , all the stuff is being repoped now :coolgleamA: !!
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

ZSmithersCharges

Quote from: HollyWoodCharger on August 26, 2009, 06:27:26 AM
Quote from: ZSmithersCharges on August 26, 2009, 03:01:04 AM

This one will see very little strip action, I'm building a nice Street Driver, and Cruise night Ride, and it'll probably be seen at the All-Chrysler Nats after it's done, and most of the local Car shows...

I just want to have it so I can Drive and enjoy it...

Well the back end of yours was rusted out anyways from your description so i guess what you want to do with it at that point is strictly up to your taste, you were going to have to rebuild it anyways so you might as well.  However I do think you should take it out to the strip because if you dont....  :rotz: your letting the man at the tire store down   :nana: you wouldnt want to do that now would you?

HollyWoodCharger

Lets see.....

345 HP 5.7 Hemi, 3,000 stall A727 Torqueflite, and a set 4.56's in the 8 3/4 Rear Diff..........

Yea I think some Tire smoke will be in the cards and an occassional Burnout will probably happen...

Blown70

HERE you GO  Note is has sat so I need to clean up the rear and redo that... I have oiled the chassis while she waits..... :shruggy:

mopar_nut_440_6

1968 Charger R/T 440 
2004 Dodge Ram 2500 680 HP Cummins with attitude

Blown70

If you would like more just let me know, I would be happy to take what ever photos you would like... Funny yours is GREEN too?   :shruggy:

HollyWoodCharger

You've got a Full Tube Frame Chassis going in on this one.......... very nice work!

I'm thinking I may have to possibly go the a different route, my old Charger used a Leaf Spring rear suspension with a Pinion snubber traction device.....

I'm thinking of using a MP Leaf Spring relocation kit, a set of Super Stock Springs, and an adjustable pinion snubber, and using a custom rear shock set up.....

The 4-Link would be nice, but I'm a little leary of the Roads around here and Breaking Coil overs and Rod-ends can make for a Rough Time......

ZSmithersCharges

Quote from: HollyWoodCharger on August 26, 2009, 09:37:59 AM
Lets see.....

345 HP 5.7 Hemi, 3,000 stall A727 Torqueflite, and a set 4.56's in the 8 3/4 Rear Diff..........

Yea I think some Tire smoke will be in the cards and an occassional Burnout will probably happen...

Please dont forget the little red button on your vid cam when you do it  :popcrn: