News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

My 68 Charger Project....is now a Pro Street Project!

Started by HollyWoodCharger, August 25, 2009, 04:12:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Supercharged Riot

ur tires are fatter than mine  :cheers:

My tires are 31 x 16.5

I have my rear wheel wells tubbed, but only close enough that it does not affect the frame rails..

no318

Quote from: HollyWoodCharger on August 26, 2009, 01:19:36 PM
You've got a Full Tube Frame Chassis going in on this one.......... very nice work!

I'm thinking I may have to possibly go the a different route, my old Charger used a Leaf Spring rear suspension with a Pinion snubber traction device.....

I'm thinking of using a MP Leaf Spring relocation kit, a set of Super Stock Springs, and an adjustable pinion snubber, and using a custom rear shock set up.....

The 4-Link would be nice, but I'm a little leary of the Roads around here and Breaking Coil overs and Rod-ends can make for a Rough Time......

I have a complete NOS mopar performance set up for spring relocation that I would sell if you want to go that route......  Drop me a pm or email.

HollyWoodCharger

Quote from: no318 on August 27, 2009, 04:20:18 AM
Quote from: HollyWoodCharger on August 26, 2009, 01:19:36 PM
You've got a Full Tube Frame Chassis going in on this one.......... very nice work!

I'm thinking I may have to possibly go the a different route, my old Charger used a Leaf Spring rear suspension with a Pinion snubber traction device.....

I'm thinking of using a MP Leaf Spring relocation kit, a set of Super Stock Springs, and an adjustable pinion snubber, and using a custom rear shock set up.....

The 4-Link would be nice, but I'm a little leary of the Roads around here and Breaking Coil overs and Rod-ends can make for a Rough Time......

I have a complete NOS mopar performance set up for spring relocation that I would sell if you want to go that route......  Drop me a pm or email.

You have a PM on that....  :cheers:

HollyWoodCharger

It'll look real close to what the my old Charger was like when I had it, except this one will not have a Roll bar....

I'm too old for crawling over tubes now!  :smilielol:

Charger440RDN

Here is the rear end of the Nick suckow charger that was stolen awhile back, it was tubbed out too. Not sure what type of set up this is though. If you do the roll cage I think you can get it made so that the lower bar opens when you open the driver's door, that way there is no climbing.

Blown70

Quote from: Charger440RDN on September 25, 2009, 06:45:19 PM
Here is the rear end of the Nick suckow charger that was stolen awhile back, it was tubbed out too. Not sure what type of set up this is though. If you do the roll cage I think you can get it made so that the lower bar opens when you open the driver's door, that way there is no climbing.

You can do that but if its a VERY fast car I would not suggest it... those bars are for protection.  Sorry I say no, if your car actually is better than a certain time you have to have a CAGE certified for that.... I believe my 70 is good till 8.50, in the 1/4.  Faster and it will need two more bars for sure added.  If you REALLY want a fast car.   WELD those bars in..... IMO those swing arm can and have BROKEN when hitting a wall... not what you want.

BTW, that looks like a 4 link, narrowed dana 60, and not a wishbone like mine but a panhard bar...to locate the rear.

Tom

HollyWoodCharger

That looks like a full custom 4-link, panhard bar, QA1 Coil-overs, narrowed Dana 60, and a Ton of money spend to make it all look great and perform properly......

Mine will be clean and well designed, but I'm not going to go that far on my back half set up....

since I'm building a street car that will see almost no dragstrip action, I'm not going with a roll bar in it, just a fat tired cruiser for friday and sat night cruises.......

Blown70

Quote from: HollyWoodCharger on September 26, 2009, 09:35:25 AM

That looks like a full custom 4-link, panhard bar, QA1 Coil-overs, narrowed Dana 60, and a Ton of money spend to make it all look great and perform properly......

Mine will be clean and well designed, but I'm not going to go that far on my back half set up....

since I'm building a street car that will see almost no dragstrip action, I'm not going with a roll bar in it, just a fat tired cruiser for friday and sat night cruises.......

Have you then considered the 3 link by XV?  will allow extra tire and a very nice setup with mostly stock components and some mild welding?

HollyWoodCharger

I started doing a little cutting tonight, so I could get a few quick measurements....

Good thing I cut the Rusted, "Cut me fast and deep, and get me a few stitches and Tetnus shot" trunk floor, this enabled me to get rid of the last of the Brake cables, fuel and brake lines and the cut off brake cables...

It looks like a 26-28 inch wide rear frame clip will work.......

G-man

Hope you achieve your goal. Im gonna build (if money ever allows) a pro-street charger also. I just prefer the 29 tall ones that are also available in the 18.5 and 15" width. Looks more stock side on rather than like a balloon.

Congrats :)

HollyWoodCharger

I've decided to use a 31 over the 33 inch size, the tall sidewall works well with the large quarter panel and keeps the proportions correct, the smaller tires tend to get swallowed up in the large quarter panel.........

I'm using the 31's because they'll fit with in the stock fenderwell opening, and not require stretching the opening the way a 33 will need the additional room and clearance...

HollyWoodCharger

Well........ I made a call to Checkered Racing and it looks like I'll be buying one of his Frames in late January, and he'll deliver it in
early Febuary.....

another part of the Project showed up, my 15x14 Cragar S/S rims, these look absolutely Perfect for what I want for this Project!

other updates will be coming after the Holidays are over..

b5blue

Charger440RDN

HollyWoodCharger

Ok......... Now I'm really happy as the first of the Chassis specific components for this build have showed up....

Jeg's High Performance has a nice selection of parts for these cars, and I ordered a 4 point Roll Bar kit as a starting point, so once the Rear Frame is welded in and the rear Pass Foot wells are replaced, I'll be able to install the main hoop and Rear struts to help stiffen and reinforce the chassis so when the rear sheetmetal is all peeled off for repairs to the understucture, the whole thing will not flex or move...

The next step after the Frame clip arrives will be leveling the body on jackstands, tack welding in some structural supports, then we can prepare to go to town on the chassis...

I also got word that the 5.2 Magnum V8 I'll be using will be ready for delivery by the end of January, I worked a trade on some spare parts I had laying around and some stuff I don't need that came with the shell...

HollyWoodCharger

**** New UPDATE ****

I've manged to work out a trade on some nearly new, but passed around a bit Goodmark Quarter skins, these are in nice shape, but a tad dirty from laying around someones shop..

I'll post up pics later of the skins....

also I got word that my Backhalf 4 link Frame clip is Finished and will be delivered to my shop on Aprill 22 as the fabricator passes by my home town on the way to Carlisle for the Spring swap meet event..

b5blue

Good News! 22nd is my birthday!  :2thumbs:  Keep us posted!

HollyWoodCharger

Well Jeff from Checkered Racing came by my shop as promised and dropped off my new Back half frame last night...

After a conversation with Jeff it looks like I'll be going with a 4 link instead of Leaf Springs as he made me a real good deal on the Frame and will supply the 4 link rods and nylon / urethane bushed rod ends at a very good price.

He's also going to narrow my 8 3/4 rear end housing and weld it up with a set of his 4 link brackets and shock mounts, so that will be ready by August.

with a little luck, I should have this welded up and possibly have the Axle hung under it by late summer!

tan top

that back half frame  ! looks a serious piece of hardware  :yesnod: :coolgleamA:

:popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

bobs66440

Holy Moly! Too bad there isn't any adjustment, eh??!! :icon_smile_wink: You ought to be able to cover any handling issue with that one!!

ZSmithersCharges

I am glad I decided to check on this thread again!  :yesnod: If you dont mind me asking.... about how much is that 4 link setup costing you?

HollyWoodCharger

The frame you see in the Photo cost me $350.00 delivered, I waited until he was passing thru close to my shop and saved $200.00 on freights costs.....

The 4 link rods and ends will cost about $225.00 or so... maybe a little less if catch him at a show or swap meet

and he's going to narrow my 8 3/4 diff and install the brackets on it for about $250.00

b5blue

ZSmithersCharges

Quote from: HollyWoodCharger on April 29, 2010, 10:27:38 PM
The frame you see in the Photo cost me $350.00 delivered, I waited until he was passing thru close to my shop and saved $200.00 on freights costs.....

The 4 link rods and ends will cost about $225.00 or so... maybe a little less if catch him at a show or swap meet

and he's going to narrow my 8 3/4 diff and install the brackets on it for about $250.00

Thats not bad at all I want to see the finished product, on your car.  Whose the guy doing them again?