News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

My 68 Charger Project....is now a Pro Street Project!

Started by HollyWoodCharger, August 25, 2009, 04:12:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HollyWoodCharger

I got Real Lucky today on a Great Score at a local Tire Shop, The Owner remembered my old Charger and couldn't stop talking about it from it's Legacy on the Streets locally 10 years ago...

When I told him about my current Project and I said I was seriously looking at Tubbing this one out as well, he looked at me and said I have just what you need at a price you'll like!

He had "2" 31x18.50-15 Mickey Thompson Sportsmans in the back room of the shop, and he let me have them for $150.00 for the Pair....

These still had the Knubs on the corners of the tread, and appear to be the full 8/32's depth...

It looks like I'll need to Narrow the Frame Rails about 10" or so and the Rear End will need a similar Reduction in width!

Blown70

Save the headache and just do a full back 1/2 now, add a 4 link.....nice tires :2thumbs:

tan top

Quote from: Blown70 on August 25, 2009, 05:08:42 PM
Save the headache and just do a full back 1/2 now, add a 4 link.....nice tires :2thumbs:

:yesnod:  yeah , with that amount of rubber  , back half it  :coolgleamA:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

MoparManJim

You know, I hate to say this, but some folks in the Dukes hobby gets grief about turning chargers into General Lee's But when you think about it, it's all bolt on stuff and paint. But now when you do the pro thing, you have to cut the car up alittle, now why don't these kind of folks also get the grief about that. That's more worst then a charger getting bolt on items and a paint job that can be turn around easy. With pro stuff like this, you have to cut the back of the car up and then tube the thing out. Doesn't make sense at all.

HollyWoodCharger

I'm looking at using one of Chris Alston Chassis works Rear Frame kit with a 4 link and Coil overs, but if the Budget doesn't permit that, I'll install a Leaf Spring Rear suspension, but I'm sure a 4 link and coil overs will be in the Budget.

HollyWoodCharger

Quote from: MoparManJim on August 25, 2009, 06:12:03 PM
You know, I hate to say this, but some folks in the Dukes hobby gets grief about turning chargers into General Lee's But when you think about it, it's all bolt on stuff and paint. But now when you do the pro thing, you have to cut the car up alittle, now why don't these kind of folks also get the grief about that. That's more worst then a charger getting bolt on items and a paint job that can be turn around easy. With pro stuff like this, you have to cut the back of the car up and then tube the thing out. Doesn't make sense at all.

This Charger is waaaay to far Gone for a stock rebuild, and it was 318 auto to begin with, so it'll be worth more as a
Pro Street Car, I passed on a couple of 383 and 440 Chargers when I was looking for a suitable candidate for this build.

I'd never do this to a original Big Block or Charger R/T.........

besides when this one is done and rolling, it won't have a original or stock part on it, everything will be ReProduction or aftermarket...

mopar_nut_440_6

Looks like a fun project. Can't wait to watch you tackle it. I love pro street cars!
1968 Charger R/T 440 
2004 Dodge Ram 2500 680 HP Cummins with attitude

69rtse4spd

Boy dose that bring back memories,ran a set like that on my first car [69 S.E.], called them N-50s. Had to run air shockes with a J. C. PENNYS air pump hooked up under the hood, to keep from rubbing the out side sidewall. Man really takes me back, to the way back machine SHERMAN!.

HollyWoodCharger

Quote from: 69rtse4spd on August 25, 2009, 08:21:40 PM
Boy dose that bring back memories,ran a set like that on my first car [69 S.E.], called them N-50s. Had to run air shockes with a J. C. PENNYS air pump hooked up under the hood, to keep from rubbing the out side sidewall. Man really takes me back, to the way back machine SHERMAN!.

It's going to be done a bit differently than the way they were back in the Day, The body shell will be lowered down over the tires with the top of the fenderwell arche at or slightly below the Rim lip at the top........

I'm not sure if I explained that right or not!  :smilielol: :lol:  :slap:

HighFlyingWedge69

Looks good.  :2thumbs:  A 4-link is the way to go, but it does cut into the back seat area a little. I even made custom bars, frame rails, and brackets. still might have a bulge in the seat. Good luck. Keep the pics coming. :icon_smile_big: :popcrn: That's the look I'm going for too. :2thumbs:

Blown70

Quote from: HollyWoodCharger on August 25, 2009, 07:59:35 PM

I'm looking at using one of Chris Alston Chassis works Rear Frame kit with a 4 link and Coil overs, but if the Budget doesn't permit that, I'll install a Leaf Spring Rear suspension, but I'm sure a 4 link and coil overs will be in the Budget.

That is what was used in my 70, ALSTON... if you want some pics let me know.... Be happy to post them or I know I have posted them here before.

Same was this 70, it would have been totaled had it not beeen turned into a prostreet car.  IIRC the car was hit by a bus in the back and that pushed it into a truck which then totaled the front 1/2. 

Love to see your progress  :2thumbs:

gordo1968charger

68 charger+4 kids=2 jobs

ZSmithersCharges

I see where your going and it does make sense but when you make a pro-street your not really thinking about going back to original anyways.  But i think why people dont have a problem with tubbing and custom fabbing pro street classics the way they do with how they think of GLs is because the Dukes cars are more for show.  But when your building a drag car... your actually going to use it to its full potential which, who can get mad at that  :icon_smile_big: even if it never does return to original condition or melts in some junkyard after a crash you cant say it didnt have a good life!  Also just to clarify im sure there are a large amount of you that actually do push your Generals to the limit and I commend you for that but the vast majority of them are just lawn ornaments.

HollyWoodCharger

Quote from: Blown70 on August 25, 2009, 10:28:42 PM
Quote from: HollyWoodCharger on August 25, 2009, 07:59:35 PM

That is what was used in my 70, ALSTON... if you want some pics let me know.... Be happy to post them or I know I have posted them here before.

Same was this 70, it would have been totaled had it not beeen turned into a prostreet car.  IIRC the car was hit by a bus in the back and that pushed it into a truck which then totaled the front 1/2. 

Love to see your progress  :2thumbs:

I'd be really interested in seeing any Pics you have of the 70, it might give me some ideas on this one....

I have a feeling this build will take some time to complete, but it'll be worth it...

HollyWoodCharger

Quote from: ZSmithersCharges on August 26, 2009, 03:01:04 AM

I see where your going and it does make sense but when you make a pro-street your not really thinking about going back to original anyways.  But i think why people dont have a problem with tubbing and custom fabbing pro street classics the way they do with how they think of GLs is because the Dukes cars are more for show.  But when your building a drag car... your actually going to use it to its full potential which, who can get mad at that  :icon_smile_big: even if it never does return to original condition or melts in some junkyard after a crash you cant say it didnt have a good life!  Also just to clarify im sure there are a large amount of you that actually do push your Generals to the limit and I commend you for that but the vast majority of them are just lawn ornaments.

This one will see very little strip action, I'm building a nice Street Driver, and Cruise night Ride, and it'll probably be seen at the All-Chrysler Nats after it's done, and most of the local Car shows...

I just want to have it so I can Drive and enjoy it...

no318

Looking good, man.   I am anxiously watching and waiting to see those fat tires tucked under there!

69*F5*SE

Good decision, can't wait to see the build pics already.   :2thumbs:

tan top

not that much of a biggie now doing that to a car with a rusty back end !!  if you want to put back to OEM , all the stuff is being repoped now :coolgleamA: !!
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 

ZSmithersCharges

Quote from: HollyWoodCharger on August 26, 2009, 06:27:26 AM
Quote from: ZSmithersCharges on August 26, 2009, 03:01:04 AM

This one will see very little strip action, I'm building a nice Street Driver, and Cruise night Ride, and it'll probably be seen at the All-Chrysler Nats after it's done, and most of the local Car shows...

I just want to have it so I can Drive and enjoy it...

Well the back end of yours was rusted out anyways from your description so i guess what you want to do with it at that point is strictly up to your taste, you were going to have to rebuild it anyways so you might as well.  However I do think you should take it out to the strip because if you dont....  :rotz: your letting the man at the tire store down   :nana: you wouldnt want to do that now would you?

HollyWoodCharger

Lets see.....

345 HP 5.7 Hemi, 3,000 stall A727 Torqueflite, and a set 4.56's in the 8 3/4 Rear Diff..........

Yea I think some Tire smoke will be in the cards and an occassional Burnout will probably happen...

Blown70

HERE you GO  Note is has sat so I need to clean up the rear and redo that... I have oiled the chassis while she waits..... :shruggy:

mopar_nut_440_6

1968 Charger R/T 440 
2004 Dodge Ram 2500 680 HP Cummins with attitude

Blown70

If you would like more just let me know, I would be happy to take what ever photos you would like... Funny yours is GREEN too?   :shruggy:

HollyWoodCharger

You've got a Full Tube Frame Chassis going in on this one.......... very nice work!

I'm thinking I may have to possibly go the a different route, my old Charger used a Leaf Spring rear suspension with a Pinion snubber traction device.....

I'm thinking of using a MP Leaf Spring relocation kit, a set of Super Stock Springs, and an adjustable pinion snubber, and using a custom rear shock set up.....

The 4-Link would be nice, but I'm a little leary of the Roads around here and Breaking Coil overs and Rod-ends can make for a Rough Time......

ZSmithersCharges

Quote from: HollyWoodCharger on August 26, 2009, 09:37:59 AM
Lets see.....

345 HP 5.7 Hemi, 3,000 stall A727 Torqueflite, and a set 4.56's in the 8 3/4 Rear Diff..........

Yea I think some Tire smoke will be in the cards and an occassional Burnout will probably happen...

Please dont forget the little red button on your vid cam when you do it  :popcrn:

Supercharged Riot

ur tires are fatter than mine  :cheers:

My tires are 31 x 16.5

I have my rear wheel wells tubbed, but only close enough that it does not affect the frame rails..

no318

Quote from: HollyWoodCharger on August 26, 2009, 01:19:36 PM
You've got a Full Tube Frame Chassis going in on this one.......... very nice work!

I'm thinking I may have to possibly go the a different route, my old Charger used a Leaf Spring rear suspension with a Pinion snubber traction device.....

I'm thinking of using a MP Leaf Spring relocation kit, a set of Super Stock Springs, and an adjustable pinion snubber, and using a custom rear shock set up.....

The 4-Link would be nice, but I'm a little leary of the Roads around here and Breaking Coil overs and Rod-ends can make for a Rough Time......

I have a complete NOS mopar performance set up for spring relocation that I would sell if you want to go that route......  Drop me a pm or email.

HollyWoodCharger

Quote from: no318 on August 27, 2009, 04:20:18 AM
Quote from: HollyWoodCharger on August 26, 2009, 01:19:36 PM

I have a complete NOS mopar performance set up for spring relocation that I would sell if you want to go that route......  Drop me a pm or email.

You have a PM on that....  :cheers:

HollyWoodCharger

It'll look real close to what the my old Charger was like when I had it, except this one will not have a Roll bar....

I'm too old for crawling over tubes now!  :smilielol:

Charger440RDN

Here is the rear end of the Nick suckow charger that was stolen awhile back, it was tubbed out too. Not sure what type of set up this is though. If you do the roll cage I think you can get it made so that the lower bar opens when you open the driver's door, that way there is no climbing.

Blown70

Quote from: Charger440RDN on September 25, 2009, 06:45:19 PM
Here is the rear end of the Nick suckow charger that was stolen awhile back, it was tubbed out too. Not sure what type of set up this is though. If you do the roll cage I think you can get it made so that the lower bar opens when you open the driver's door, that way there is no climbing.

You can do that but if its a VERY fast car I would not suggest it... those bars are for protection.  Sorry I say no, if your car actually is better than a certain time you have to have a CAGE certified for that.... I believe my 70 is good till 8.50, in the 1/4.  Faster and it will need two more bars for sure added.  If you REALLY want a fast car.   WELD those bars in..... IMO those swing arm can and have BROKEN when hitting a wall... not what you want.

BTW, that looks like a 4 link, narrowed dana 60, and not a wishbone like mine but a panhard bar...to locate the rear.

Tom

HollyWoodCharger

That looks like a full custom 4-link, panhard bar, QA1 Coil-overs, narrowed Dana 60, and a Ton of money spend to make it all look great and perform properly......

Mine will be clean and well designed, but I'm not going to go that far on my back half set up....

since I'm building a street car that will see almost no dragstrip action, I'm not going with a roll bar in it, just a fat tired cruiser for friday and sat night cruises.......

Blown70

Quote from: HollyWoodCharger on September 26, 2009, 09:35:25 AM

That looks like a full custom 4-link, panhard bar, QA1 Coil-overs, narrowed Dana 60, and a Ton of money spend to make it all look great and perform properly......

Mine will be clean and well designed, but I'm not going to go that far on my back half set up....

since I'm building a street car that will see almost no dragstrip action, I'm not going with a roll bar in it, just a fat tired cruiser for friday and sat night cruises.......

Have you then considered the 3 link by XV?  will allow extra tire and a very nice setup with mostly stock components and some mild welding?

HollyWoodCharger

I started doing a little cutting tonight, so I could get a few quick measurements....

Good thing I cut the Rusted, "Cut me fast and deep, and get me a few stitches and Tetnus shot" trunk floor, this enabled me to get rid of the last of the Brake cables, fuel and brake lines and the cut off brake cables...

It looks like a 26-28 inch wide rear frame clip will work.......

G-man

Hope you achieve your goal. Im gonna build (if money ever allows) a pro-street charger also. I just prefer the 29 tall ones that are also available in the 18.5 and 15" width. Looks more stock side on rather than like a balloon.

Congrats :)

HollyWoodCharger

I've decided to use a 31 over the 33 inch size, the tall sidewall works well with the large quarter panel and keeps the proportions correct, the smaller tires tend to get swallowed up in the large quarter panel.........

I'm using the 31's because they'll fit with in the stock fenderwell opening, and not require stretching the opening the way a 33 will need the additional room and clearance...

HollyWoodCharger

Well........ I made a call to Checkered Racing and it looks like I'll be buying one of his Frames in late January, and he'll deliver it in
early Febuary.....

another part of the Project showed up, my 15x14 Cragar S/S rims, these look absolutely Perfect for what I want for this Project!

other updates will be coming after the Holidays are over..

b5blue

Charger440RDN

HollyWoodCharger

Ok......... Now I'm really happy as the first of the Chassis specific components for this build have showed up....

Jeg's High Performance has a nice selection of parts for these cars, and I ordered a 4 point Roll Bar kit as a starting point, so once the Rear Frame is welded in and the rear Pass Foot wells are replaced, I'll be able to install the main hoop and Rear struts to help stiffen and reinforce the chassis so when the rear sheetmetal is all peeled off for repairs to the understucture, the whole thing will not flex or move...

The next step after the Frame clip arrives will be leveling the body on jackstands, tack welding in some structural supports, then we can prepare to go to town on the chassis...

I also got word that the 5.2 Magnum V8 I'll be using will be ready for delivery by the end of January, I worked a trade on some spare parts I had laying around and some stuff I don't need that came with the shell...

HollyWoodCharger

**** New UPDATE ****

I've manged to work out a trade on some nearly new, but passed around a bit Goodmark Quarter skins, these are in nice shape, but a tad dirty from laying around someones shop..

I'll post up pics later of the skins....

also I got word that my Backhalf 4 link Frame clip is Finished and will be delivered to my shop on Aprill 22 as the fabricator passes by my home town on the way to Carlisle for the Spring swap meet event..

b5blue

Good News! 22nd is my birthday!  :2thumbs:  Keep us posted!

HollyWoodCharger

Well Jeff from Checkered Racing came by my shop as promised and dropped off my new Back half frame last night...

After a conversation with Jeff it looks like I'll be going with a 4 link instead of Leaf Springs as he made me a real good deal on the Frame and will supply the 4 link rods and nylon / urethane bushed rod ends at a very good price.

He's also going to narrow my 8 3/4 rear end housing and weld it up with a set of his 4 link brackets and shock mounts, so that will be ready by August.

with a little luck, I should have this welded up and possibly have the Axle hung under it by late summer!

tan top

that back half frame  ! looks a serious piece of hardware  :yesnod: :coolgleamA:

:popcrn:

Charger Stuff 

bobs66440

Holy Moly! Too bad there isn't any adjustment, eh??!! :icon_smile_wink: You ought to be able to cover any handling issue with that one!!

ZSmithersCharges

I am glad I decided to check on this thread again!  :yesnod: If you dont mind me asking.... about how much is that 4 link setup costing you?

HollyWoodCharger

The frame you see in the Photo cost me $350.00 delivered, I waited until he was passing thru close to my shop and saved $200.00 on freights costs.....

The 4 link rods and ends will cost about $225.00 or so... maybe a little less if catch him at a show or swap meet

and he's going to narrow my 8 3/4 diff and install the brackets on it for about $250.00

b5blue

ZSmithersCharges

Quote from: HollyWoodCharger on April 29, 2010, 10:27:38 PM
The frame you see in the Photo cost me $350.00 delivered, I waited until he was passing thru close to my shop and saved $200.00 on freights costs.....

The 4 link rods and ends will cost about $225.00 or so... maybe a little less if catch him at a show or swap meet

and he's going to narrow my 8 3/4 diff and install the brackets on it for about $250.00

Thats not bad at all I want to see the finished product, on your car.  Whose the guy doing them again?

HollyWoodCharger

Well we tried to get a start on some welding today, but the Mig had other ideas and I have to call the tech line on monday to see what has to be done to fix it....

I can't wait to see these tucked up under the back end and the side profile as these tuck deeep inside the quarter!

b5blue

HollyWoodCharger

Well, not much new to report other than a few parts that showed up in the past month or so..

I picked up a New driver's door from AMD at the All-Chrysler Nat's in July, and I got the rear axle housing back from having it narrowed and some brackets welded on I needed to have done...

The House kind of decided it wanted some more of my money this Summer after we had to have the Roof and Bathroom repaired after some water damage..

Sandblasting should be starting soon her sometime after labor day........

additional pics are coming soon!

HollyWoodCharger

Ok..... Update as Dec 25,2010

Not much has gotten done due to work schedule and the fact that the house has needed some work done since last Spring and I've been trying to get caught up on that stuff......

I have gotten some tubing welded in to support the shell so it can be transported to a friends shop here in town that is opening a new sandblasting business, he's agreed to soda blast and lightly sand blast the areas that need in preparation for metal work to commence...

I good friend of mine from high school has agreed to help me out by coating the body in epoxy primer after it's blasted and will remove the roof skin at his familie's body shop, then we can start getting the shell up on jack stands and leveled out to start the chassis work this winter....

I'll also be working with Martz chassis later on this coming year to obtain the new front suspenion kit kit they have designed for the mopar chassis...

www.martzchassis.net

They have a page dedicated to the suspension system they have designed for mopars...

HollyWoodCharger

The second update has to due with engine selection I have made...

It actually was pretty easy, I'll be having a set of custom mounts built to install a nicely built 3.9 Magnum v6, this will provide some weight reduction and shifting of some weight to behind the front axles centerline and axis, improving weight transfer and handling, it'll use a factory dakota fuel injection system, and timing control paired with a paxton or vortech blower running 6-8 psi of boost, this will make about 300-350 hp at the crank with a mild build I have already done on the engine.

add a little NOS and I'm at nearly 400 at the crank, and if you feather foot it on the interstate it'll get close to 20 mpg with the right converter and gear set selection...

Rolling_Thunder

maybe i'm just being strange but why not just run a 5.2 or 5.9L magnum?  Any weight reduction you were looking at with the V6 might be negated by the weight of a supercharger -  the 5.2 or 5.9 would make the available 350+hp and you could still run stock magnum efi ---   I also think the aftermarket support for the 5.2/5.9 would be greater - aluminum heads, intakes, etc.     :scratchchin:
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

HollyWoodCharger

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on December 25, 2010, 10:43:43 PM
maybe i'm just being strange but why not just run a 5.2 or 5.9L magnum?  Any weight reduction you were looking at with the V6 might be negated by the weight of a supercharger -  the 5.2 or 5.9 would make the available 350+hp and you could still run stock magnum efi ---   I also think the aftermarket support for the 5.2/5.9 would be greater - aluminum heads, intakes, etc.     :scratchchin:

That actually a very good question, and yes, the 5.2 and 5.9 are heavily supported by the aftermarket which would make it easy......

I had a line on a 5.2 that I was going to get, but the guy scrapped the Van it was in and didn't pull the block from it first...

The 3.9 I'm planning to use is one left over from a previous project that I had started, but did't have the heart to pull a good 3.9 from my Dakota with only 34K on the it..

so I'm going to finish assembling it with a mild cam and lifter package from hughes and button it up, I have already built up the bottom end for boost and NOS, as it's
Bored .030 over, balanced, and has studded mains, is fitted with Forged TRW's, and Speed pro rings, I've also got a a set of fully prepped heads, and a ported Intake.

I see no reason to buy a 5.2 and go thru it , when i have this ready to go..

greenpigs

Will not see another V6 powered 68 Charger I bet. The only thing is the sound, unless you want people to say WTH is that when they hear it idle. I give ya credit on doing something different & it could allways be replaced later on. Could you use the vortech on a SB with different pullies in case you change your mind or find a deal later on?
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

motorcitydak

You sure on that power number? 350 with a blower and 400 on nitrous? My old v6 was a dog, only 175 HP stock and not much aftermarket support
96 Dakota, custom everything 4x4, 5.7 HEMI
'68 charger project
[OO!!!!!!!!!OO]

HollyWoodCharger

my stock 3.9 in my Dakota popped 290 rwhp on the Dyno at Carlisle a few years back, on the stock long block and 8 psi of boost, with a 75 hp shot of NOS thrown in for the fun of it, got the guys attention from Mopar muscle magazine too.......

with the built up shortblock, better heads and a mild Cam, 350 at the wheels should be fairly easy with some tuning, thats right at the 400 mark at the crank....

The added bonus is I can modify the wiring harness and bolt in a 5.2 with very little effort as the dakota mounting pads on the 5.2 are real close to 3.9 position in relation to the beelhousings, and the blower and Nos will transfer as well with little effort, just the cooling system will require a few mods to make the swap and that will be minimal.

I'll be able to run either engine with just a few hours of wrench turning, depending on what is needed for power...

HollyWoodCharger

Quote from: greenpigs on December 26, 2010, 08:45:19 PM
Will not see another V6 powered 68 Charger I bet. The only thing is the sound, unless you want people to say WTH is that when they hear it idle. I give ya credit on doing something different & it could allways be replaced later on. Could you use the vortech on a SB with different pullies in case you change your mind or find a deal later on?

It'll have a dual 2.5" exhaust off a set set of shorty Dakota Headers, I'm planning to run a Dual 2.5" inlet / Dual 3.0" outlet Dynamax Ultra Flo SS muffler at the back of the car with twin 3.0" Turn downs right behind the Rear crossmember.....

it should sound ok without the Cats, the 3.9 in the Dakota chassis sounds a little Raspy due to the Cats muffling the engine some...

Rolling_Thunder

makes sense -  I like the idea of the V6 maggy being used -  just wondered why that's all -  seems like you have some history with them - no reason not to use one.    :2thumbs:
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

HollyWoodCharger

Here is a Photo of the 3.9 after I got it back from the machine shop, Fully balanced and blueprinted rotating mass, Forged TRW's, ARP studded Mains and Rod bolts, this set up is veryy stout and will take double digit boost levels or low boost with a Nitrous chaser for the instant increase in low end torque!

Ported and reworked Magnum V6 heads, Magnum R/T Valve springs, stainless steel intake and exhaust valves!

I just have to select a Cam and valve spring kit and put it all together!

I got word this week from a buddy that will do my sandblasting on the bare shell, that he will be able to do it next week, and it'll go to the body shop for epoxy primer and removal of the roof skin soon afterward.......

additional photos will be coming soon...

b5blue

I for one am with ya on this! Makes sense to use what you got, look at the Grand Nat. Buick.  :scratchchin:

HollyWoodCharger

The Sandblasting work is behind schedule due to inclement weather here in Pa the last couple of months, on the up side it looks like we'll be Soda blasting instead of using sand or coal slag...........

I've had a delivery of AMD parts to my shop and soon additional stuff will be showing up......

I decided to go ahead and replace the floor pan with a new AMD 1-PIECE,and install both of the rear pass footwells as well....

Now the Big news.........

I decided I wanted a full-color illustration done so I'll know excatly what this Charger will look like when finished, and it'll make it easier to get some sponsorship...

so I contacted George Trosley and he's agreed to do a 11" x 14" full color illustration, which I'll post when he completes it...

472 R/T SE

Hmm, that's different.

You won't have to worry about replacing the rear tires.  ;)

PocketThunder

Youre in penn?   Here all thsi time i thought you lived in Tinsel town...     :shruggy:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

HollyWoodCharger

The Original Charger I had in my avatar pic above was sold to Hollywood Music producer named Draco Rosa in the spring of 2001, it will be 10 years next month since then...

I picked the User Id for this site based off of that Charger's Final Destiny, as I learned that the Charger may have been stolen from it's current owner, but I have no way of knowing for sure...........soooooo and since this build will be much nicer than the first, I went with that name...

HollyWoodCharger

Ok........ The weather finally broke, and we got started!

we started by welding up a couple of small holes we found in the front of the Rocker, I used a 5/16 drill to punch out the rust holes and found good metal afterward, so we used a copper spoon to provide a backing thru a rust proofing hole as it was mig welded shut, then metal finished........

we had a small rust out area just above that, so we cut that area out, fabbed a patch and used a combination of butt welds and small lap welds to fix this area, a little
light grinding and it was ready for a coat of primer till it goes for sand blasting....... won't take much to finish this off and make the repair almost invisible...

the factory rad support was in good shape other than the bottom having been bent and twisted with a floor jack at some point, so a U.S. Car Tool lower rad support was welded in, we fitted it and tacked it in place, then we just cut the damaged lower area away and smoothed the edges up.

this fit pretty nicely , except that the differences between cars make these a challenge to fit properly,  I had to split the differnce in in the width and adjust the brackets to fit some. these cars can vary as much as 3/8 of an inch in this area.

finish welding and trimming of some excess metal is still to come, we'll make it look much nicer than this when it's done...... just needs sandblasted now to get it ready for final welding...

HollyWoodCharger

I started removal of the floor pan in preparation for installing the new 1 piece AMD part, since this was pretty thin in areas, I just used a sawz-all to open the area a bit, and I  have a friend with a plasma cutter who will help me finish cutting out the bulk of the floor around the crossmembers and trim away the excess welded flanges.

then I'll work on cleaning the frame and rockers up so they new floor can be istalled...

HollyWoodCharger

after about 9 hours of slow work to avoid damage to the good frame and Rockers, I have the floor about 85% removed, just have a couple small holes to fix from where the spot welds broke thru in a couple places.......... easily fixed after blasting is done.

morepower

Man I love those big tires under the car! Im going to stick with my L60-15's though.
1968 Dodge Charger 496 Sublime Green 3.91 torqueflite. Built to drive. Best ET 11.73 at 117

2010 SRT Dodge Challenger 6.1 Hemi Orange 5 speed automatic. Daily Driver. Best ET 13.4 at 105

SRT-68

Strange combo going on here...

Car looks great but the V6 is a bit contradictory. Those slugs in that 6 are either pretty big or the block is really small. Either way it will be interesting to see how this turns out. It's good to see something different but the 6 is similar to "Brand X" power in my opinion. I wonder how it will sound? That's a lot of tire for 400hp....Extremely curious to see what the 60ft and 1/4 mile times would be..... My guess would be a low 14....

Is it going to have full interior or stripped down for weight ?

Keep up the good work, looks good...    

:popcrn:

HollyWoodCharger

Full interior is planned, although very little will be stock..........

I've been doing a little searching on craigslist and with local sources on a Magnum v8, so I can keep my options open as far as a powerplant goes...

But the V6 is still a possible option......

I'm building a nice cruiser, so it may wind up a little heavier weight wise.... so it won't be a fast street car.

70ChargerX2

I am new here but I have been a die hard 68 thru 70 Charger fan since I was a kid and the 68 hit the streets so I am going to throw in my two cents worth here. I have no issues with guys painting up their Chargers as the General nor do I have an issue with them going Pro Street when done as professionally as the ones here are being done. What I do have a problem with is when someone takes one of these classics and mounts it onto a way over the top four wheel drive truck frame. :flame:  To me that is an insult and a complete waste of a beautiful car.  :icon_smile_angry:  :RantExplode:

Again this is just my opinion.

Paulie