News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Anyone familiar with GM radios?

Started by Tilar, August 23, 2009, 07:12:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tilar

I have a 96 Suburban that has the am/fm Cassette with a CD player below it. I'm sure it's factory. The radio works great, but if I let the truck set for more than a day, The clock will be at 1:00 the next time I start it regardless of what time it really is. If I drive it every day, it will pretty well stay on time. The presets always stay regardless of how long it sets, it's just the clock that seems to go wacky.

Is there anything I can do to this to fix it?
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

aussiemuscle

sounds like a power issue, maybe it looses power while you are starting the truck?

Tilar

I don't think it's like a power connection issue because if I drive it every day the clock will be correct 99% of the time. But if I let it set for a day or more the next time I get in it, the clock will be right at 1:00 when I get in. I'd think that if it were losing it's power that the radio presets would be lost too.
Dave  

Landonsrt

Its probably a bad ground in the radio for the clock. Those old delco radios aren't worth spit. Just get a new radio.

Tilar

Well it sounds good and the cassette and CD player both work good, it just doesn't keep good time. The clock is a minor problem but IMO it doesn't warrant spending that much cash to fix it.
Dave  

Ghoste

Tilar, a buddy of mine does repairs on those things for a living.  I'll try and get a hold of him tomorrow and ask if there is a quick and dirty to make it right.

Tilar

Dave  

l8rg8r

sounds to me like a safety feature designed into the stock radio so if your battery drops below say 12.5 volts(guessing) the radio shuts off the power to the clock and not the presets cause they are using different kinds of memory. So change your battery or let it set a few days and take a voltage reading with a multimeter. Call this a educated guess but it makes sense to me anybody else

Tilar

It's a fairly new battery that I put in maybe a year ago. I know that doesn't make it a good one, but it always starts right up. Voltage stays around 14 on the gauge in the dash, but I haven't put an actual test gauge on it either.
Dave