News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

It just drops right in!! Yeah, bull@$#t!!!

Started by J-440, August 22, 2009, 02:50:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J-440

GAAAHHH!!!  Need help pronto.  I don't want to waste this Saturday.  Got some INDY EZ-1 heads with their recommended FAST EFI distributor and the dam thing ain't fitting.  The shaft and Milodon gear drive seem to be compatible but it looks like the outside of the distributor is having a hard time clearing the head casting.  I don't want to grind on my new head, there's no notch in the dist. housing, and nobody says nothing about clearance issues...it just drops right in!!!  Tell me what's up.  Thanks guys. :brickwall:
68 R/T, 440/727 6-speed, SC G-machine...black suede

c00nhunterjoe

remove the pump drive and see if it drops in then, if it does then your motor needs to be spun over just a hair

J-440

I'm at TDC with the gear drive parallel to the cam like I'm supposed to be.  When I line up the distributor shaft/slot with the oil pump drive slot, the rotor is pointing towards the #1 cylinder.  I still don't get it. 

Nacho-RT74

NOTE...

NOT EVEN new Mopar Performance distributors ( made by Mallory nowdays I think ) will get number one on dist cap at same point with slot parallel to cam.

You have two options... set a new number one on cap

Get the dist gear slot in diff position.

I opted to the second to keep the number one at same point ( toward to back of alt  rear bracket )

I think it was around 90º off.

If you still have your original ditributor, compare and will notice the dist shaft end is offset with rotor from the original to the new units
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

c00nhunterjoe

try removing the distributor/oil pump drive shaft. then see if the distributor will go into place. i have seen it where you are a hair off and it wont go in right.

J-440

Nacho...if I put the gear drive in a different position, won't my timing be off when the car is started?  I thought that was the whole point of aligning the slot parallel to the cam.  And how would I set a new #1 on cap?
  Joe...if I remove the gear drive, drop the distributor in...then what?  If it fits then I've got clearance obviously, then the problem would be the wrong gear drive?  Thanks again to you guys.

Nacho-RT74

I mean, FIRST compare your new distributor with the old one to check if really the rotor is off with the end of shaft from the old

If you notice that then you simply pull out the drive gear/shaft and match the slot with your new distributor pointing to number one on cap like the original it was ( to rear alt bracket ) OR keep the gear drive on the same stock position mount the distributor without the cap to check where is pointing out the rotor now and place the number one spark plug wire at the new number one on cap indicated by the rotor with piston number one at TDC on compression time. Then you'll began the new spark plug wires configuration. You have both options.

moving out the gear drive you are simply relocating the distributor timming of course, THAT'S the deal, but not the cam timming. Everything will be fine.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html

b5blue

When I changed out from a re-man dist. to a new MoPar one I had to move my wires around to get the vac. advance pointed the right way also. Moving the gear would do the same thing, I'm just lazy.  :cheers:

firefighter3931

What distributor are you trying to fit....stock or aftermarket ?

Is this a 383 or 440 ?

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

J-440

Problem is the old distributor is long gone.  The new one is an MSD unit converted by FAST, sold through INDY (whew!!) and is for a 440.  INDY never said any mods to the head would be an issue.
  And I do have the cap off and can see where the slots are lining up plus the rotor is pointing towards the #1 cylinder...should be good to go, but I'm not. 

b5blue

So the cap/dist housing hits the head stopping you from inserting it in the block all the way?

TylerCharger69

Don't they make taller distributor profiles for those applications??    :shruggy:

J-440

Yes, it seems that the bottom of the dist. hits a portion of the head and yeah I was wondering if INDY makes a little bit taller unit.  I'll be sure to call them in the morning and will warn other people of the same problem.  You guys have been very helpful as always and I appreciate it. 

mauve66

maybe someone screwed up and sent you a b block dist instead of the taller RB dist??
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

c00nhunterjoe

whats the word? did you get ahold of anyone?

J-440

Good news, there is a little grinding for clearance that I'll have to do.  Talked to the guys at INDY and they do it all the time.  Just hate to grind on those brand new, pretty heads.  Oh well, if you ain't f$#ing nothing up, you ain't hot roddin'.

b5blue

Well that is a pisser....a note in the box is to much to ask!  :2thumbs:

c00nhunterjoe

hmmm, for the cost you are paying for indy parts and the fact that they know of this a common thing- one would think that they would have it machined properly.... :scratchchin:

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: J-440 on August 24, 2009, 07:48:36 PM
  Good news, there is a little grinding for clearance that I'll have to do.  Talked to the guys at INDY and they do it all the time.

if they do it all the time WHY THEY NOT CORRECT THE INITIAL DESIGN ONCE!!!

J-440

Yeah you'd figure they would.  Since they CNC their heads, you know the program is saved and all they would have to do was to add a few more lines to the existing program and problem solved.  I don't know the deal either.  Since the distributor is set up for EFI I'm wondering if the base is thicker than a normal one would be.  Oh well, shouldn't be too hard to do.