News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Am I the only one catching hell over the length of my Charger resto?

Started by bull, August 23, 2009, 07:31:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dodgecharger-fan

I get grief from my boss all the time. At one point he didn't even believe I had a Charger.  :P

I think it's less of an attack on me than it is a way to encourage me to get it all done so he can drive it.  :yesnod:

b5blue

My rule is: If you do not help...You do not ride! (I don't care if it's just handing me tools or getting a drink but HELP or SHUT-UP)

74Rallye

You need a friend like RTDaddy. My Charger project was well into it's 3rd year when he informed me that he was tired of seeing my dead a$$ move so slow on the car. He said he would be picking the car up the next week and "monster garaging it" in his spare time. 2 weeks later there was Top Banana yellow Charger in my driveway when I got home from work. You gotta love friends like that.

moparstuart

Quote from: 74Rallye on August 24, 2009, 11:28:54 AM
You need a friend like RTDaddy. My Charger project was well into it's 3rd year when he informed me that he was tired of seeing my dead a$$ move so slow on the car. He said he would be picking the car up the next week and "monster garaging it" in his spare time. 2 weeks later there was Top Banana yellow Charger in my driveway when I got home from work. You gotta love friends like that.
wow barry is the man   :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

89MOPAR

Next time one of your work buddies gives a hard time, say...
   " It's gone, i sold it for $200 "

They'll be exclaiming ---" what , $200 ?   I would have bought it  !!!   WTH , why didn't you tell me, etc"

You Say ---" Well since you always give me so much sh*t about it, I figured you certainly wouldn't have wanted it, so why bother telling you, too bad so sad "

;D ;D ;D
Than wait about two weeks, until the story has gone around the shop a few times,  and reveal you still own it.   

77 Ram-Charger SE factory 440 'Macho' package
03 Ram Hemi 4x4 Pickup
Noble M400
72 Satellite Sebring Plus +

CDN72SE

I've had my Charger since 1986 (20yrs old), drove it until 1992. Everyone in my old neighbourhood knows my car, sat on the driveway until 1998, then in outside storage lot for a year, moved to a new house with my fiance in 1999, car sat in my new garage collecting dust. Got married ($$$) in 2000, had a baby in 2001 ($$$) Sold the house in 2004, the car moved back to my parents house but in the garage in winter, driveway in summer until 2004 when we moved into our new house ($$$) in 2007. Sat in my garage for about a year, now I have slowly started and am now 43.

I've heard them all from, "do you still have that car?", "Are you really going to keep that car", "Do you have money to fix it?", "You should have fixed all up when you were younger" (with no money right). My family basically shows no interest in it, everything is done by myself and I have vowed to myself that I'll never let anyone ride in it when I'm done, but I may change my mind because i know they just don't get it!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/401809
1972 Charger SE

TylerCharger69

I've heard stuff all of the time such as..."When are ya gonna repaint?"  "When are you putting in the new drivetrain?....It's been awhile....I've bee waitin'!!"  I always tell them a few different things, depending on who the person is.... "Well....I'd get it done faster if you put that crackpipe down and help!!"   Or......"If your wife would leave me alone...it would probably be done by now."......and one of my favorites is...."I'll get it finished the day you finish your community service!!!"    lol....that really pisses them off!!!!  Most of these people are low-lifes who collect aluminum cans from peoples trash.....unless i know the guy who has an attractive wife.....lmao

bull

I'm pretty sure that once I do get it done all the naysayers that gave me crap before will be the ones picking it apart when they finally do see it. "What's the deal with this here?" "That doesn't look right." "How come you did it that way?" :slap:

charge-it

I always tell the people with the wise ass comments to start writing the checks for parts and it will get done a whole lot faster. I took three years to build mine and now I'm going backwards because of shody work on my dana 60, a brand new defective brake booster, a completely restored avs carb that whistles, etc., etc. As long as your happy who cares what other people think.
Visit our new website:

http://www.pepsparts.com

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: charge-it on August 24, 2009, 02:32:35 PM
I always tell the people with the wise ass comments to start writing the checks for parts and it will get done a whole lot faster. I took three years to build mine and now I'm going backwards because of shody work on my dana 60, a brand new defective brake booster, a completely restored avs carb that whistles, etc., etc. As long as your happy who cares what other people think.
Gee and I thought I was the only one getting defective new parts and shoddy work that I had to do over.  :shruggy:
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

jerry

if yous guys would get off the net bragging about your cars 7 days a week yuos just might get them done.... :smilielol:

Brock Samson

For fourteen yrs. 1984 - 1999, my R/T sported a souped up 318, i endured alot of smart ass comments about that especially at shows, but in particular there was one guy at work who every time he'd see me would go "Where's the Beef?"
(You young guns may not get that one as it references a Wendy's TV Commercial from the '80s,..)
Of course he shut up once I finally gave him a 60 second ride around the block once the 440 was in...
Hearing all the BS and seeing such nice restored cars at shows and in the Mags. gave me alot of motivation to get her back to Big Block power,.. but I did have her on the road and enjoyed her even with the small block,.. but it was amazing how many guys could actually tell it wasn't a big block just from the sound, and I had headers and a cam in the 318 too...
I had to explain about that all the time... it sucked,.. but i was driving..  :D

Rolling_Thunder

Bull - I know exactly what you mean...   I get the same thing form everyone...   even Amanda (my best friend) started giving me crap about it...    "Hey Alex, so...    when are you going to finish your Charger? You know its been about 5 years right ?"  

So I believe my on-the-spot reply is what you need to tell people....      "Nothing is impossible for the ones who don't have to do the work" ---  MOST people just don't understand the amount of work that goes into building a car...    money, time, effort, planning...     Even more so for custom work...    I mean the amount of $$$ I have into my heater and air conditioning greatly exceeds the amount of money I have into my Hemi...     Hell, the wiring for my car currently has run up a bill for close to $2500...   just for the WIRING...    and that is building the harness for the 6.1 Hemi myself...      but who would understand the idea of using aerospace mil spec sealed connectors...   no one gets it or knows exactly what they cost...     but I know my car will be done right...        I mean if I had $100,000 the car would be done...    i would just buy an expensive stainless tank with pump and all that jazz - but instead due to money restrictions I must take excessive time to do things....      

Again most people have no concept as to how to engineer and build a vehicle...     the ones that do simply ask "hey man - do you need a hand?"
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

The70RT

Quote from: bull on August 24, 2009, 02:28:33 PM
I'm pretty sure that once I do get it done all the naysayers that gave me crap before will be the ones picking it apart when they finally do see it. "What's the deal with this here?" "That doesn't look right." "How come you did it that way?" :slap:

Sounds like you need different people to hang around with. If it is just run of the mill people at cruise in or shows then tell them to get lost.
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

69bronzeT5

Quote from: Brock Samson on August 24, 2009, 05:24:22 PM
but it was amazing how many guys could actually tell it wasn't a big block just from the sound, and I had headers and a cam in the 318 too...

My 318 has headers and a cam and people always ask me (on the street- not at shows) if that's a 340 I got in there. I'm like..."318" :D
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

Slowpoke

Like a lot of others have said four years is not long at all. I work on mine when I can (between working full time and going to college at night that doesnt leave much  :'( ) and buy parts for it when money allows. How long have I been at it? See my tag line at the bottom  ;). Just keep at it and enjoy the ride.
68 R/T LL1
under restoration for the last 25 years

hemi-hampton

My Buddy has been working on this since around 1984. 25 years. I do not think he has ever gotten it started or ever drove it in 25 years :shruggy: LEON.

bull

Quote from: The70RT on August 24, 2009, 05:33:09 PM

Sounds like you need different people to hang around with. If it is just run of the mill people at cruise in or shows then tell them to get lost.

With the exception of family (who don't typically raz me a whole lot) I don't really hang around these people very much. I have to go to work and they are coworkers of mine so that's all the hanging I do. But it's not just one particular person or group that gives me the business; it's a little here and a little there and it adds up over time to the point where it has gotten old.

jb666

ALWAYS the way. I never did understand that , either.. You build your car the way YOU want it, yet you have to explain it around every corner.. I'd rather spend the time admiring the choices made.

chargergirl

Friends call our garage The Museum. It got a little thick for a time there until they were gently reminded that their projects had been sitting for a long time. So now we have The Museum, and two wings...West and South. Sometimes things take longer, it can get discouraging, that's when you know your doing the build for the love of the car. You have to love it or you wouldn't forgo dinners out, or handle working in a Florida garage in the summer, parts in the bathtub. Oh yeah, and Mark has even come to terms with the dishwasher. We had parts that were hard as rocks and needed to be hydrated. Soaking them never works...but if you put them in the dishwasher...without the heat cycle they infuse the part with water. Seriously they are pliable now. Do I tell people at work that...hell no! They just wouldn't understand.
Trust your Woobie!

charge-it

Wait until you do get it finished, all the critics that don't have one dime into it will come out of the woodwork. One guy told me that in 68 a certain part was plated, not painted like on my car. I asked him what color t-shirt he wore three days earlier. He said,"what?" I can't remeber that. I said you can't remeber what color t-shirt you wore three days ago but you can remember over 40 years ago that a part was plated and not painted! I then told him to take a hike and get out of my face. My car only has to make one person happy, ME.
Visit our new website:

http://www.pepsparts.com

triple_green

Keep going Curtis! You will get it done. Just time and money....lots of both.

I hope you are still planning on black (is it already painted?)

Take Care,
Mark
3X
68 Charger 383 HP grandma car (the orignal 3X)

bull

Quote from: triple_green on August 25, 2009, 08:06:50 AM
Keep going Curtis! You will get it done. Just time and money....lots of both.

I hope you are still planning on black (is it already painted?)

Take Care,
Mark
3X

Yes, it's painted. And it is black. :2thumbs: One small area needs to be touched up in the engine comp and then once the 383 and the K-frame are done I'll be ready to install them along with the trans. My goal was to have all that done by July but I've had one setback after another this summer.

Steve P.

Just simply tell them you are in no rush as your car increases in value every day. Not like the cookie cutter rust bucket they are driving and STILL MAKING PAYMENTS ON...  :D
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

suntech

QuoteThen they see shows like overhauling where they get everything done in 7 days (not realising they go 24/7 with 30 top notch pros and no other jobs/life/cues, getting in the way)
Not to forget all the shortcuts that HAS to be done, to get a car "done" in one week!!!

Just ask them where their Charger is :D If they are so hung up in your car, they should heve their own!!!
Since we only live once, and all this is not just a dressed rehearsal, but the real thing............ Well, enjoy it!!!!