News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Am I the only one catching hell over the length of my Charger resto?

Started by bull, August 23, 2009, 07:31:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

Not sure where this belongs but I'll try it here first.

Sometimes I wish I'd have never told anyone but yous guys that I'm restoring a Charger because I seem to catch a lot of hell from friends, coworkers, relatives, etc. It always starts out with, "How's your Charger coming?" and then right after I report my latest progress I hear stuff like, "You think you'll get it done before they ban gas?" or "You think you'll get it done before you retire?" "What's taking so long?" Blah, blah, blah. I know it's all in good humor but after getting ribbed about 600 times it's starting to get old. I know some people who've had projects for literally decades with no progress so I don't think 4 years is too out of line for the progress so far. Pete's sake, I didn't know it would take this much money and that I'd have so many setbacks for one and two, I had no idea I could actually earn and squirrel away the amount of money I have had to save so far, which in itself is a hell of an accomplishment IMO. Oh well. I'm just whining again. :'(

62dodge

I have owned my charger for 22 years it sat in a garage for 18 years as we raised our kids now that the last one is out I have finally started work on it. I figure it will take another 3-4 years to finish it,now that I have all of the parts (dana60,440sixpac,4speed,etc) I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

oldrock

I would not worry about what they say... take as long as you need and be happy  ;D

Let them whine all they want... but remember that when they are asking for rides in your cool charger once you get her done.

green69rt

jaak

You are not the only one.....
My 69 is a long term project, since buying the car I have...gotten married (2000), had first child (2002), had second child (2003), bought a house (2005) and had third child (2008). I stripped the car down for rebuilding in 2001, a "friend" kept it in "body shop hell" for 2 years, so its had its set-backs. Now since I have bought my house and have a shop to keep it in, the only time I really work on it is in the winter....December to March is the best time because I usually don't work any overtime, and basically there is nothing else to do, no yardwork, no little league games, football season is basically over...etc.
I get those comments all the time, 'you ever gonna finish that thing', 'you aint doing nothing with it', 'sell it to me, I'll finish it' blah blah blah. I just ignore the shit.

I just chip away at it a little at a time, collect parts along the way...I'll get it done someday, I mean really whats the hurry?

Jason

MoparManJim

Man, I hear ya, I loose to get the same bs from my aunt and her boyfriend all the time. "Oh that car won't every leave the driveway" "He'll won't ever get it done" "He's sticking to much money into that pos"  

Well one night on the phone well talking to her, she bought it as she ask me how I was coming on it. I said I'm getting stuff doen on it. The next thing out of her was "we thought you would have that thing done by now as you had it for along time" and I said "working on cars like these are not liking working on your cars, you just can't go to the yard and walk in and find a charger to get a part off it ya know". Then her boyfriend started up in the background also dishing me well the car and I said "tell him I'm not doing a car repair but rather trying to restore some what right now and the car isn't bad as you all think it is" and then she had to come back with "well at least I have a nice truck" and I came back "yea I was the one that had to fix that truck up like it is now as no one wanted to do it for you all!" and there was a long pause on the line  :smilielol  

We still took rounds all the time on the phone about my car :lol: , but she was the type that like to started a fight and arguements and then watch as folks fighted  :flame:. When got talking about my car, I would just let it go with her and just went along with them on everything and showed her she couldn't start anything  :lol:  

So I somewhat know what you are going through man. Just hang in there and keep your mind on your car and don't worr yabout what the others are saying.

Back N Black

Charger-Bodie

68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

jb666

Now Bull, I know you're the type to NEVER give anyone grief about their car, so I can definitely feel your pain. No, wait, I can't, because I'm not doing the work on the car myself.. BUT, if I were, those questions would bug me after a while...

What shocks me is that you haven't mastered all of the instantaneous and responsive insults to zing the person right back......

"Bull, what the Hell's taking you so long?"

"I'm not sure, but I never heard your old lady ask that!".

Ya know, one good jab deserves another.

One thing I CAN relate to is this statement:

Quote from: bull on August 23, 2009, 07:31:26 PM
Pete's sake, I didn't know it would take this much money and that I'd have so many setbacks for one and two, I had no idea I could actually earn and squirrel away the amount of money I have had to save so far, which in itself is a hell of an accomplishment

FlatbackFanatic

Just tell them that if they finance the resto it would be done alot sooner. :smilielol: :smilielol:
Flatback Fanatic, Kurt  , MN

jaak

Silver R/T

that's what I get from co-workers, family, etc. But I don't care. They all don't realize that mopar parts are so expensive and trying to pay mortgage/bills is priority, then whatever;s left over (not much at all) gets spent on Charger and other cars that I have.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

bull

Quote from: FlatbackFanatic on August 23, 2009, 09:51:42 PM
Just tell them that if they finance the resto it would be done alot sooner. :smilielol: :smilielol:

I've used that line more than once.

Actually, today three guys were ribbing me about it at work and one of the three has had a Pontiac collecting mildew for years so after he chimed in I said, "How about you, Mr. Firebird? When are you going to get anything done?" Stutter, stammer, "Uh well, I got one quarter hung on it" (sometime during the past 15 years).

There used to be this other guy at work who owns a '67 fastback Mustang that liked to give me crap so I'd give it right back. I told him he might as well park his car out by the street and bolt the mailbox to it so it would actually have a purpose. That usually shut him down. Still, the Mustang hasn't budged since he bought it and dragged it home.

People just need to bug you about something I guess. I'm just going to keep telling them what they want to hear and listening to their crap until one day I'll just drive it in and park it. Then when they start feeding me the BS I'll point toward the parking lot.

Quote from: Silver R/T on August 23, 2009, 11:21:28 PM
that's what I get from co-workers, family, etc. But I don't care. They all don't realize that mopar parts are so expensive and trying to pay mortgage/bills is priority, then whatever;s left over (not much at all) gets spent on Charger and other cars that I have.

Most people have no clue what it entails to do a restoration. Apparently they think it's like remodeling the bathroom and shouldn't take more than two months I guess.

terrible one

I absolutely agree! No one I talk to seems to know what it takes to even get one of these cars on the road again (in my case)

"Got it running yet?"

That's my favorite. Even if I tell someone what I've been doing to it last that's all that anyone wants to know. If only that was all I had to do!

A383Wing

69bronzeT5

Every time one of my friends says "Why isn't your Charger done yet?"....I simply reply "You got $15,000 for me to get body and paint done?"  :icon_smile_big:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

Finn

All. The. Freaking. Time.
And compared to some Ive been hauling ass. :rotz:
1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

aussiemuscle

Then they see shows like overhauling where they get everything done in 7 days (not realising they go 24/7 with 30 top notch pros and no other jobs/life/cues, getting in the way) :yesnod:

Belgium R/T -68

I always tell them I Don't want to be finnished because then the fun is over. :lol:

Per
Charger -68 R/T 500 cui Stroker

runningman

The only people that never give me crap about my car are the ones that actually went through the process of restoring their cars themselves..

six-tee-nine

Bought  the Charger spring 2006. Today I havent even managed to get it onto a rotisserie....

I must admit, I was in a battle for 2 years to get my title in my hands to ever bring it on the road...In that period i did'nt want to start aproject that had a very unsure fututre.
But having an old house that needs a ton of work and a baby girl of 8 months sure doesn't help to make some extra time for my hobby.
Worst part is I had to move out of the place I had the Charger stored in for this period, and I did'nt find the time to build my new shop, so I have the Charger stored outside in my backyard.....

But hey, as long as we're healthy I'm sure the time will come to get going with it, so I guess you're not alone.
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

69*F5*SE

If I had the extra cash to get it where I want it,  I guess it would be done by now.  Bull, I wish my car was as far as your car is. It's been more than 4 years.  But, people will still make comments about it anyway.  Happens all the time.  I really haven't done much to it this whole summer other than remove the rear valance.

b5blue

Heck Bull mine sat dead end in storage longer than that waiting for money.....ironically I spent more in storage than it cost to fix (not restore) it! Tell them all "things are going fine" make it clear your not in a hurry (even if it's a lie) and boar them with details they know nothing about, after a while they will stop trying to get your goat....because that's what their doing, trying to stir some crap.  :2thumbs: 

The70RT

Haven't took too much flack. I have been on it 3 years and no one has helped do crap....so most don't ask. Hell I have had the car for 30 years so what's the big hurry  ::) Like I tell them - I restored 2 others before I started this one. I only took a year and a half on one and a year on the other but neither were a rotisserie resto like the Charger. I work full time and some overtime and am half crippled (feel like it some times) then have all the other speedbumps in life that goes with having a family. Most all the car guys I grew up with have lost interest or no longer have funds so they are surprised I am as far as I am.
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Ghoste

Bull, just remind them that if it was as easy as they think, then any moron would be able to do it.

dodgecharger-fan

I get grief from my boss all the time. At one point he didn't even believe I had a Charger.  :P

I think it's less of an attack on me than it is a way to encourage me to get it all done so he can drive it.  :yesnod:

b5blue

My rule is: If you do not help...You do not ride! (I don't care if it's just handing me tools or getting a drink but HELP or SHUT-UP)

74Rallye

You need a friend like RTDaddy. My Charger project was well into it's 3rd year when he informed me that he was tired of seeing my dead a$$ move so slow on the car. He said he would be picking the car up the next week and "monster garaging it" in his spare time. 2 weeks later there was Top Banana yellow Charger in my driveway when I got home from work. You gotta love friends like that.

moparstuart

Quote from: 74Rallye on August 24, 2009, 11:28:54 AM
You need a friend like RTDaddy. My Charger project was well into it's 3rd year when he informed me that he was tired of seeing my dead a$$ move so slow on the car. He said he would be picking the car up the next week and "monster garaging it" in his spare time. 2 weeks later there was Top Banana yellow Charger in my driveway when I got home from work. You gotta love friends like that.
wow barry is the man   :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

89MOPAR

Next time one of your work buddies gives a hard time, say...
   " It's gone, i sold it for $200 "

They'll be exclaiming ---" what , $200 ?   I would have bought it  !!!   WTH , why didn't you tell me, etc"

You Say ---" Well since you always give me so much sh*t about it, I figured you certainly wouldn't have wanted it, so why bother telling you, too bad so sad "

;D ;D ;D
Than wait about two weeks, until the story has gone around the shop a few times,  and reveal you still own it.   

77 Ram-Charger SE factory 440 'Macho' package
03 Ram Hemi 4x4 Pickup
Noble M400
72 Satellite Sebring Plus +

CDN72SE

I've had my Charger since 1986 (20yrs old), drove it until 1992. Everyone in my old neighbourhood knows my car, sat on the driveway until 1998, then in outside storage lot for a year, moved to a new house with my fiance in 1999, car sat in my new garage collecting dust. Got married ($$$) in 2000, had a baby in 2001 ($$$) Sold the house in 2004, the car moved back to my parents house but in the garage in winter, driveway in summer until 2004 when we moved into our new house ($$$) in 2007. Sat in my garage for about a year, now I have slowly started and am now 43.

I've heard them all from, "do you still have that car?", "Are you really going to keep that car", "Do you have money to fix it?", "You should have fixed all up when you were younger" (with no money right). My family basically shows no interest in it, everything is done by myself and I have vowed to myself that I'll never let anyone ride in it when I'm done, but I may change my mind because i know they just don't get it!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/401809
1972 Charger SE

TylerCharger69

I've heard stuff all of the time such as..."When are ya gonna repaint?"  "When are you putting in the new drivetrain?....It's been awhile....I've bee waitin'!!"  I always tell them a few different things, depending on who the person is.... "Well....I'd get it done faster if you put that crackpipe down and help!!"   Or......"If your wife would leave me alone...it would probably be done by now."......and one of my favorites is...."I'll get it finished the day you finish your community service!!!"    lol....that really pisses them off!!!!  Most of these people are low-lifes who collect aluminum cans from peoples trash.....unless i know the guy who has an attractive wife.....lmao

bull

I'm pretty sure that once I do get it done all the naysayers that gave me crap before will be the ones picking it apart when they finally do see it. "What's the deal with this here?" "That doesn't look right." "How come you did it that way?" :slap:

charge-it

I always tell the people with the wise ass comments to start writing the checks for parts and it will get done a whole lot faster. I took three years to build mine and now I'm going backwards because of shody work on my dana 60, a brand new defective brake booster, a completely restored avs carb that whistles, etc., etc. As long as your happy who cares what other people think.
Visit our new website:

http://www.pepsparts.com

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: charge-it on August 24, 2009, 02:32:35 PM
I always tell the people with the wise ass comments to start writing the checks for parts and it will get done a whole lot faster. I took three years to build mine and now I'm going backwards because of shody work on my dana 60, a brand new defective brake booster, a completely restored avs carb that whistles, etc., etc. As long as your happy who cares what other people think.
Gee and I thought I was the only one getting defective new parts and shoddy work that I had to do over.  :shruggy:
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

jerry

if yous guys would get off the net bragging about your cars 7 days a week yuos just might get them done.... :smilielol:

Brock Samson

For fourteen yrs. 1984 - 1999, my R/T sported a souped up 318, i endured alot of smart ass comments about that especially at shows, but in particular there was one guy at work who every time he'd see me would go "Where's the Beef?"
(You young guns may not get that one as it references a Wendy's TV Commercial from the '80s,..)
Of course he shut up once I finally gave him a 60 second ride around the block once the 440 was in...
Hearing all the BS and seeing such nice restored cars at shows and in the Mags. gave me alot of motivation to get her back to Big Block power,.. but I did have her on the road and enjoyed her even with the small block,.. but it was amazing how many guys could actually tell it wasn't a big block just from the sound, and I had headers and a cam in the 318 too...
I had to explain about that all the time... it sucked,.. but i was driving..  :D

Rolling_Thunder

Bull - I know exactly what you mean...   I get the same thing form everyone...   even Amanda (my best friend) started giving me crap about it...    "Hey Alex, so...    when are you going to finish your Charger? You know its been about 5 years right ?"  

So I believe my on-the-spot reply is what you need to tell people....      "Nothing is impossible for the ones who don't have to do the work" ---  MOST people just don't understand the amount of work that goes into building a car...    money, time, effort, planning...     Even more so for custom work...    I mean the amount of $$$ I have into my heater and air conditioning greatly exceeds the amount of money I have into my Hemi...     Hell, the wiring for my car currently has run up a bill for close to $2500...   just for the WIRING...    and that is building the harness for the 6.1 Hemi myself...      but who would understand the idea of using aerospace mil spec sealed connectors...   no one gets it or knows exactly what they cost...     but I know my car will be done right...        I mean if I had $100,000 the car would be done...    i would just buy an expensive stainless tank with pump and all that jazz - but instead due to money restrictions I must take excessive time to do things....      

Again most people have no concept as to how to engineer and build a vehicle...     the ones that do simply ask "hey man - do you need a hand?"
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

The70RT

Quote from: bull on August 24, 2009, 02:28:33 PM
I'm pretty sure that once I do get it done all the naysayers that gave me crap before will be the ones picking it apart when they finally do see it. "What's the deal with this here?" "That doesn't look right." "How come you did it that way?" :slap:

Sounds like you need different people to hang around with. If it is just run of the mill people at cruise in or shows then tell them to get lost.

69bronzeT5

Quote from: Brock Samson on August 24, 2009, 05:24:22 PM
but it was amazing how many guys could actually tell it wasn't a big block just from the sound, and I had headers and a cam in the 318 too...

My 318 has headers and a cam and people always ask me (on the street- not at shows) if that's a 340 I got in there. I'm like..."318" :D
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

Slowpoke

Like a lot of others have said four years is not long at all. I work on mine when I can (between working full time and going to college at night that doesnt leave much  :'( ) and buy parts for it when money allows. How long have I been at it? See my tag line at the bottom  ;). Just keep at it and enjoy the ride.
68 R/T LL1
under restoration for the last 25 years

hemi-hampton

My Buddy has been working on this since around 1984. 25 years. I do not think he has ever gotten it started or ever drove it in 25 years :shruggy: LEON.

bull

Quote from: The70RT on August 24, 2009, 05:33:09 PM

Sounds like you need different people to hang around with. If it is just run of the mill people at cruise in or shows then tell them to get lost.

With the exception of family (who don't typically raz me a whole lot) I don't really hang around these people very much. I have to go to work and they are coworkers of mine so that's all the hanging I do. But it's not just one particular person or group that gives me the business; it's a little here and a little there and it adds up over time to the point where it has gotten old.

jb666

ALWAYS the way. I never did understand that , either.. You build your car the way YOU want it, yet you have to explain it around every corner.. I'd rather spend the time admiring the choices made.

chargergirl

Friends call our garage The Museum. It got a little thick for a time there until they were gently reminded that their projects had been sitting for a long time. So now we have The Museum, and two wings...West and South. Sometimes things take longer, it can get discouraging, that's when you know your doing the build for the love of the car. You have to love it or you wouldn't forgo dinners out, or handle working in a Florida garage in the summer, parts in the bathtub. Oh yeah, and Mark has even come to terms with the dishwasher. We had parts that were hard as rocks and needed to be hydrated. Soaking them never works...but if you put them in the dishwasher...without the heat cycle they infuse the part with water. Seriously they are pliable now. Do I tell people at work that...hell no! They just wouldn't understand.
Trust your Woobie!

charge-it

Wait until you do get it finished, all the critics that don't have one dime into it will come out of the woodwork. One guy told me that in 68 a certain part was plated, not painted like on my car. I asked him what color t-shirt he wore three days earlier. He said,"what?" I can't remeber that. I said you can't remeber what color t-shirt you wore three days ago but you can remember over 40 years ago that a part was plated and not painted! I then told him to take a hike and get out of my face. My car only has to make one person happy, ME.
Visit our new website:

http://www.pepsparts.com

triple_green

Keep going Curtis! You will get it done. Just time and money....lots of both.

I hope you are still planning on black (is it already painted?)

Take Care,
Mark
3X
68 Charger 383 HP grandma car (the orignal 3X)

bull

Quote from: triple_green on August 25, 2009, 08:06:50 AM
Keep going Curtis! You will get it done. Just time and money....lots of both.

I hope you are still planning on black (is it already painted?)

Take Care,
Mark
3X

Yes, it's painted. And it is black. :2thumbs: One small area needs to be touched up in the engine comp and then once the 383 and the K-frame are done I'll be ready to install them along with the trans. My goal was to have all that done by July but I've had one setback after another this summer.

Steve P.

Just simply tell them you are in no rush as your car increases in value every day. Not like the cookie cutter rust bucket they are driving and STILL MAKING PAYMENTS ON...  :D
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

suntech

QuoteThen they see shows like overhauling where they get everything done in 7 days (not realising they go 24/7 with 30 top notch pros and no other jobs/life/cues, getting in the way)
Not to forget all the shortcuts that HAS to be done, to get a car "done" in one week!!!

Just ask them where their Charger is :D If they are so hung up in your car, they should heve their own!!!
Since we only live once, and all this is not just a dressed rehearsal, but the real thing............ Well, enjoy it!!!!

CB

restoring my Charger will take forever. I just want it to be safe, drivable and enjoyable.
Resto is a future plan.

Rebuilding the front end is already taking +2 months now... bye bye cruising season :'(
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

firefighter3931

Curtis....you're doing a great job !  :2thumbs: As has been stated....the only people that can fully understand the expense and time it takes to restore one of these beasts is someone who has done it themselves.  :yesnod:

Mine took several years with lots of setbacks....but i used the pay as you go philosophy rather than bury myself in debt. Build the car on your timetable and nobody elses.  ;)

Keep at it and don't get discouraged.  :icon_smile_big:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Blown70

Well if you have unlimited funds that is a different story and how correct you like things to be.  I am one who was side tracked by several things, to me having a heater for my house was more important two years ago than a motor.

So, as time an money come, things are purchased and money saved for those select projects on the car that I will not be doing myself.

I think your doing the right thing, keep it up

Tom

motorcitydak

Im planning on at least 3 years for mine. It doesnt help that I have not been able to touch it in 3 weeks
96 Dakota, custom everything 4x4, 5.7 HEMI
'68 charger project
[OO!!!!!!!!!OO]

HeavyFuel

Got my car in 1991, put a total of about 200 miles on it in 17 years.

I know a lot of people that are into cars......I'm catching tons of crap for not having the car done yet.  It has been at just the body shop for over 3 years alone.

But I have gotten married, bought two houses, raised (almost) 3 kids, and established a career in the time I've had the car. 

So everyone that gives be the business can just kiss my ass, and when I die, my wife can bury me with the fender tag and broadcast sheet.

NorwayCharger

I can work on a charger for ever, no problem...
Problem is all the nagging and people asking me the SAME questions and telling me the SAME jokes.
Over and over again :brickwall:
People do not understand how i can work on cars for a living, and then work on my own car in my freetime.
Trying to tell them that for me it is like therapy working on my Charger..
AKA the drummer boy
http://www.pink-division.com

Road Dog

Atleast ya'll are restoring them. Mine hasn't sat still more than 2 weeks since I've owned it. Guess that's why it has 400,000 miles. I would love to pull it all apart and restore it all. Maybe a new trunk pan this fall?
If your wheels ain't spinn'n you ain't got no traction.

elacruze

Mine sat so long that nobody thought I'd ever do anything with it, but they knew it was worth more $ every day and it wasn't in the weather.
The only one who consistently asked about it was my S/O, who I've been on/off with since about 1984. We've been together now for 7 years and she manages the restoration business while I'm overseas paying for it. If not for her, I'd likely be pulling it from storage and driving it like it was again.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

The70RT

After yesterday I really want to get mine done now more than ever.....but I have to go in for foot surgery next month and been in pain for a year now and it has really slowed my progress. I was at a car show over the weekend. I was parked by a Mustang and the guy never shut up about his POS. Everyone that walked by he told them to look at his before and after pics. It sat in a fieldand  he replaced sheet metal by the ton, it took 4 years...bla bla bla. He said over and over that his car was an ugly green (bullet mustang green) and went with resell red because he didn't work all the overtime to put it back the same lame color. Yeah my Cutlass is almost that same lame color green  ::) his paint was an inch thick, it was painted twice.....the first time it had runs  :laugh: The fr & r end caps had chips because there was so much paint on it. I sat by him for hours and he never spoke to me. I did speak loudly to a couple people that I only had 6K in my car because he kept saying he had 21K !! in a 68 coupe  :lol: I never seen it before but some regulars graded it like i did and they said my car is a way better car than his  ;D

bull

What's odd is that I haven't heard word one about my project from anyone during the past couple weeks. I guess people have a sixth sense that tells them when I'm working on it and when I'm slacking because I've been on it pretty steady here recently and I haven't gotten any crap.

A383Wing

Quote from: bull on September 13, 2009, 06:08:38 PM
What's odd is that I haven't heard word one about my project from anyone during the past couple weeks. I guess people have a sixth sense that tells them when I'm working on it and when I'm slacking because I've been on it pretty steady here recently and I haven't gotten any crap.

We all can change that around here, if ya want   :nana:

Steve P.

Yeah Bull. Your just hording ALL YOUR MONEY... To hell with the car. The back pocket is MUCH more important to people as TIGHT as you... Hahaha.. I just ask where THEIR ride is..  ;)
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

lacucarachaloco

yeah... mostly from people who have never restored or have barely even worked on a car... occasionally a little grumbling from my girl but with her all I have to do is remind her that her '57 T-Bird hasn't left her mothers garage in 8 years.

bull

Quote from: 89MOPAR on August 24, 2009, 01:01:10 PM

Next time one of your work buddies gives a hard time, say...
   " It's gone, i sold it for $200 "

They'll be exclaiming ---" what , $200 ?   I would have bought it  !!!   WTH , why didn't you tell me, etc"

You Say ---" Well since you always give me so much sh*t about it, I figured you certainly wouldn't have wanted it, so why bother telling you, too bad so sad "

;D ;D ;D
Than wait about two weeks, until the story has gone around the shop a few times,  and reveal you still own it.   

I tried a variation of this at work a few days ago and it worked like a charm. :2thumbs: This guy was giving me his usual DOH crap and smarting off about how long it's taking to restore my Charger so I told him I was going to sell it. He changed his tune real quick. He almost went into panic mode and scolded me for considering such a thing after all the work and money I've put into it. :lol: I never did tell him I was just messing with his head.