News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

360 oil pan pick up

Started by Highbanked Hauler, February 16, 2010, 12:13:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Highbanked Hauler

I've got a 360 out of an 85 van and it has the rear sump oil pan. When I change the pan for the car does the oil pickup tube have to be changed also or is it close enough to the middle of the engine to work with he new pan?
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

charger_cody

My motor came out of an 81 van. I had to change the oil pan and the pump pickup for my 3rd gen. Are your heads smog heads?

Cody

Troy

Yes, you need the pickup that goes with the oil pan.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: charger_cody on February 16, 2010, 01:29:32 PM
My motor came out of an 81 van. I had to change the oil pan and the pump pickup for my 3rd gen. Are your heads smog heads?

Cody
I am not sure I was told that the motor was rebuilt before I got the van  and I haven't had it apart. I know it pulled well and has about 30 lb.of oil pressure at idle and 55 running. The intake is for a smog carburetor  as it has an adapter on it for a Holley
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

charger_cody

Quote from: Highbanked Hauler on February 16, 2010, 02:24:33 PM

Cody
I am not sure I was told that the motor was rebuilt before I got the van  and I haven't had it apart. I know it pulled well and has about 30 lb.of oil pressure at idle and 55 running. The intake is for a smog carburetor  as it has an adapter on it for a Holley

Are there little pin size holes below the exaust holes on the heads?

Cody

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: charger_cody on February 16, 2010, 04:38:59 PM
Quote from: Highbanked Hauler on February 16, 2010, 02:24:33 PM

Cody

Are there little pin size holes below the exaust holes on the heads?

I'll have to check, are there part# on the heads that would tell??
Cody
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

charger_cody

I'm sure there are but if it does have smog heads on it I STRONGLY recomend just getting new heads. I had smog head and I just filled them in with little brass plugs. But it's a cut on your compression. Just buy new heads it'l be worth it.  :2thumbs: :cheers:

Cody

Highbanked Hauler

I finally got the motor where I could get  a look at the block and I got a surprise the block is a 1976 and found its way into the van that I got it out of. I am guessing that the heads are original to the block. So it looks like I am in good shape.
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

Rayzor

just a note, but if they are the smog heads with the little air ports under the exhaust. They will give you fits with headers unless you plug them off.

charger_cody

Quote from: Rayzor on March 05, 2010, 10:57:21 PM
just a note, but if they are the smog heads with the little air ports under the exhaust. They will give you fits with headers unless you plug them off.

Eff. I plugged mine up. I think after the car is running I will be buying new heads now.

Cody

Highbanked Hauler

These small holes in the heads you refer to must dump into the stock exhaust manifold??
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

charger_cody

Quote from: Highbanked Hauler on March 10, 2010, 09:26:37 PM

These small holes in the heads you refer to must dump into the stock exhaust manifold??

I'm not too sure, I don't have the stock manifold. Could be though.  :scratchchin:

Cody

Highbanked Hauler

Mine still has the stock exhaust manifolds on it and I don't see any holes but s I said the block is a 1976 so there is a good chance the heads are 76 also. I got some of the history on the motor when I bought the van and what I've seen so far I'd say he was correct.

Cody, I just looked at the pix of your motor in your  post and my  360 heads don't have the holes under the exhaust ports that yours do. I wonder what their purpose is?:popcrn:
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

charger_cody

Quote from: Highbanked Hauler on March 17, 2010, 09:43:58 PM
Mine still has the stock exhaust manifolds on it and I don't see any holes but s I said the block is a 1976 so there is a good chance the heads are 76 also. I got some of the history on the motor when I bought the van and what I've seen so far I'd say he was correct.

Cody, I just looked at the pix of your motor in your  post and my  360 heads don't have the holes under the exhaust ports that yours do. I wonder what their purpose is?:popcrn:

They were smog controll. Jacked up system that started sometime in the late 70's i think.

Cody