News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How many scaled back their musclecar activities this year for economic reasons?

Started by Ghoste, August 22, 2009, 07:04:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

I was just thinking that with money being tighter around my own household this year, that I drove the Charger less than some other years.  I was kind of inwardly whining to myself about this when I realized that I had also drove my everday vehicle far less this year and walked more often.  Realizing that one of the reasons I did this was to save gas money for the Dodge I realized that even though I drove the car fewer total miles, I tended to use it a lot more this year for short hops and errands.
Anybody belt tightening to keep driving the Charger or do you just shelve it for a while or no difference?

ITSA426

A383Wing

Quote from: ITSA426 on August 22, 2009, 07:22:20 PM
I drive 'em when I can but it feels like no time this summer.

same here...we took the cream 66 out for it's first trip last weekend ever since we have owned it....and we got it in '95 or so....we have only done 3 shows this year...got another show tomorrow....that's about it for us.

All of our cars need something...just don't have the funds to accomplish much of anything on any of them

bearbqd

As long as it's not raining, the Charger is on the road. I have driven my Cuda much less though, just cuz I have the driver Charger now. The Cuda has only been out three times this year.
73 Cuda 440/500hp
71 Javelin in progress

Ghoste

Because you prefer the Charger or because economics dictate that you don't use the nastier car?

41husk

I made my first trip to Carlisle this year.  I try to drive each car at least once a week.  Som days I drive all 3.  Today I took the 68 to a local show and the 73 to a cruize.  So I would say I have not scaled back :cheers:
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

bearbqd

Quote from: Ghoste on August 22, 2009, 07:43:52 PM
Because you prefer the Charger or because economics dictate that you don't use the nastier car?
Well, a number of reasons really. I bought the Charger to be a driver because I wanted something cool to drive everyday and I definitely didn't want to put the wear and tear on my show car. The Charger currently gets horrible gas mileage though. I'm constantly putting gas in it. I think maybe the timing isn't right or I have an outright leak that I can't find. I do have my miserly 89 Buick that I could save a ton of money in gas with, but I wouldn't be driving a cool car then. I guess the coolness factor outweighs my common sense to save money and gas.
73 Cuda 440/500hp
71 Javelin in progress

Todd Wilson

No difference on the Chargers this year but regular daily driving has dropped down to just what we need to go do. We did actually go the park tonight and then make one loop the long way home around the town.

Todd

68X426

I did not participate in the recession.  :icon_smile_cool:

I just made the wife spend less on shoes.  :yesnod:

Yeah, I wish.  ::) 

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

Ghoste

:smilielol:

You and I have the same problem (and in our house she taught the two mini-mommies to be just like her  ::) ).

1969chargerrtse

I'd have to say I slowed down on shows and cruises because of the been there done that feeling.  As far as because of hard times ( which we are feeling as a family big time ) I'd say, nope.  When gas was 4.00+ , yes I drove little and drove slow.  Now with gas at about 2.70 I am a little cautious but do Cruise here and there without to much concern.  I do think about how newer cars get 30+ mpg, and I'm getting 10 at best.  That kinda bugs me, but it is a classic not my everyday car.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.