News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Header installation

Started by TylerCharger69, August 21, 2009, 06:12:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TylerCharger69

Another question for someone who has experienced this......On my 440 going into the car  ('69)....Do I have to install the headers from the bottom after the engine is installed or can I go ahead and bolt them on before putting the engine in???   Just getting all of my ducks in a row to make sure this build goes quickly

Rolling_Thunder

usually it is easiest to put the headers in the engine bay but bungeed to either side, then drop the engine in and bolt the headers up.
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

TylerCharger69

Okay....I don't want to scratch the fresh engine bay paint  when it's ready!!! :yesnod:

c00nhunterjoe

if you are worried about scratches then i would put them in from the bottom afterwards. it will give you more room to drop the motor in and get on the motor mounts

TylerCharger69

Cool....that's what I will do then....I know I rebuilt a '70 El Camino  and I had to pull the headers off in order to get the motor in...I wasn't sure if Mother Mopar was the same procedure!!!  Thanks man!!!

c00nhunterjoe

i would say that there is enough room to leave them in the car but it will make life simpler if you install them later.  what headers are you running and what starter are you running?

TylerCharger69

I'm not sure, but I think they may be hedman headers.  I bought them used on ebay for like 50 bucks.  I'm going to put the wrap on them though to keep under hood temperatures down.

c00nhunterjoe

i run heddman's on mine, they are a breeze to get in. i assume you run an automatic? if so that makes it even easier, no mods needed to get them in. the stock starter makes it a hair tricky but not bad at all- just install the starter as you install the header..... it will make sense when you are under the car doing it. 

i wouldnt wrap them, wrap keeps water in as well and will rot the tubes out.

TylerCharger69

Do you have any other good budget suggestions other than a wrap to keep underhood temps down?.....I assume you are talking about the condensation that is created from the heat when you say water?

c00nhunterjoe

well cowl hoods dont look right on general lee's so no....lol  why are you so worried about under hood temps? the only reason i would consider the wrap is if you have heat soak problems with the starter and if you do i would wrap some good wrap on the starter and thats it.

TylerCharger69

Well....I don't think excessive heat is good under the hood...i.e. causing hoses to become brittle....same with plug wires, etc...and other electrical what nots that the heat would shorten the life of.  I understand that it's normal to have high temps in the engine compartment,  but with headers they become more excessive.  So...I want to keep them down to a normal level.