News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Any 71 Road Runner pros out here?

Started by 1969chargerrtse, August 22, 2009, 05:12:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1969chargerrtse

I was driving the Charger the other day when this guy in big Ford truck waved me down.  He loved my car and had to see it.  We made friends and he told me he had a 70 Charger and a 71 Road Runner.  I stopped over his house to see the cars today.  Both are real real nice.  The RR is a rare 4 spd air grabber car.  He said he was told the 2 tone interior color was not an option and was wondering how rare the car would be?  It's an all original RR with just a repaint as far as I know.  All the original panels and paper work.  Any ideas about the car?  I think except for the granny gauges the 71, 72 RR are awesome.  I just like the Charger dash better.
I know the pictures suck.  The RR has the dash pattern stripe up and over the roof.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Ghoste

He was told wrong I'm afraid.  Now it isn't necessarily common but there are about four two tone interior combos for the 71 RR that I can think of.
I've always had a soft spot for the 71-72 Road Runners myself, just about any year Road Runner now that I think of it.  :scratchchin:

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: 69 OUR/TEA on August 22, 2009, 05:38:14 PM
I love 71,72 RR's,someday eventually will get one.Here is one on ebay with that two tone inter.........

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/REAL-1972-ROADRUNNER-400-4bbl-restored-original_W0QQitemZ270445448094QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Cars_Trucks?hash=item3ef7ce0b9e&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245
Oh that's funny.  So much for being two tone rare, though that is a 72.  Sorry I wont be at the show tommorow Paul, have fun.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

1969chargerrtse

Thanks for the info guys.  I just called him.  We now understand that 2 tone was not common, but was avaible.  What he really wants to know is, how many Yellow, air grabber, 340/4 spd, 2 tone tan interior RR's were there in 71?

Ghoste

Unfortunately they don't break it down for color or options.  There were just over 4000 ordered with a four speed but only 438 340 powered Road Runners in 1971 with a stick so that makes it a fairly rare car.  The Air Grabber isn't that uncommon; more ordered without than with but you do see it fairly often.  The two tone interior, not uncommon but it is seen.  All in all, the 340 four speed part is the big number paring down combo.  The other two things sweeten the pot.  No scientific proof whatsoever just a WAG personal opinion number, I'd say it's probably one of 50.  Howzat?

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Ghoste on August 22, 2009, 06:00:48 PM
Unfortunately they don't break it down for color or options.  There were just over 4000 ordered with a four speed but only 438 340 powered Road Runners in 1971 with a stick so that makes it a fairly rare car.  The Air Grabber isn't that uncommonmore ordered without than with but you do see it fairly often.  The two tone interior, not uncommon but it is seen.  All in all, the 340 four speed part is the big number paring down combo.  The other two things sweeten the pot.  No scientific proof whatsoever just a WAG personal opinion number, I'd say it's probably one of 50.  Howzat?
NNNNNNNNNnnnnnnnnnnnnnniiiiiiccccccce :2thumbs:   :icon_smile_big:

69 OUR/TEA

The show is next Sun,not tommorrow Rob,so we'll see you there?????

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: 69 OUR/TEA on August 22, 2009, 06:30:08 PM
Oh.  I'm just not into show's my friend.  I'm even cutting back on  cruise nights.  I think I went last year because my buddy asked me to go.  It's just hard leaving 3 young kids and a burnt out wife to sit in the hot sun. I did all this in the 80's.  Me getting old.  :icon_smile_blackeye:

AJ1966

Hi Rob-

Awesome, what town did you see those cars in?

I was in town last weekend and took my '66 to a few shows, it's up for sale now....I will be out in KC for another yr or 2 and I ran out of patience with the thing....if you know someone back home who may be interested in the car let me know.

AJ

hemi-hampton

I think the 383 was Standard while the 340 was a optional order. That yellow appears to be the rare EL5 Bahama Yellow ( a.k.a. Butterscotch) Only made for 2 years. 69 & 71 & for some reason they skipped 70. Nice, I like it :o :2thumbs: LEON.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: AJ1966 on August 22, 2009, 10:03:16 PM
Hi Rob-

Awesome, what town did you see those cars in?

I was in town last weekend and took my '66 to a few shows, it's up for sale now....I will be out in KC for another yr or 2 and I ran out of patience with the thing....if you know someone back home who may be interested in the car let me know.

AJ
I'll Pm you, I don't want to post his town all over the place without his knowing.  Post your car here or on ebay.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: 69 OUR/TEA on August 22, 2009, 06:30:08 PM
Next Sunday is a huge Prospect show where they close down the town green and 100's of cars attend.  I have a friend that is going to the show to see my car.  So I'll be at that show.  He works with me and goes to that show every year.  I told him I'd bring the Charger for him to see.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: hemi-hampton on August 22, 2009, 10:22:47 PM
I think the 383 was Standard while the 340 was a optional order. That yellow appears to be the rare EL5 Bahama Yellow ( a.k.a. Butterscotch) Only made for 2 years. 69 & 71 & for some reason they skipped 70. Nice, I like it :o :2thumbs: LEON.
Yeah, butterscotch would be a good name for it.  I'll have to get better pictures.  He may go to the Sunday cruise I go to.  If he does I'll post real nice shots.

Brock Samson

the 340 was rare being a mid yr. '71 intro for insurance purposes,.. in '72 they dropped the compression and revalued the numbers to rear wheel specs... i forgot where i got the number but 1,300 was the number of '71 340s i came up with four years ago when i bought mine... most road runners had two tone ints... though some color combos are really rare like the silver trimmed ones,.. there were an amazing number of color combos Avail. not like the three of four you might find these days.
Mine is gray and black,.. your friends combo with those options and that color is pretty rare though,..
nice car.  :yesnod: