News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

And we thought Chargers were expensive to buy and maintain......

Started by MichaelRW, August 21, 2009, 03:50:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MichaelRW

A Fact of Life: After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF.........

LeadfootBob

Technological masturbation is the term you're looking for... Imagine the car, nay, FLEET of fun cars you could build with the cash for one of those. Then again, most people with that kind of money wouldn't know a socket wrench from a lug nut either  :smilielol:
Proud member of the jack stand racing team since 1999.
'70 Charger 500: "Bronson", some kind of hillbilly hot rod in progress.
'89 Chevy Caprice 9C1: "it's got a cop motor..."

Armudster

To be really honest, I don't know what this car have that is so special, it's ugly, overly expensive, and need a W16 and four turbos to achieve what a stroked naturally aspirated Hemi can do with just 8 cylinders, this car is nothing but marketing, have you ever wondered how this car achieves it's maximum speed? Check on youtube McLaren vs Bugatti Veyron, the Veyron's gear are so high that it looks like a 4 banger at launch!! After reading this article I discovered that on top of everything it isn't that reliable, wtf, it have to be completely taken apart under just 60000 miles? Well, the things that we have on our road today!!!!!!!!!!

Armudster

Sorry I posted twice and don't know how to delete the message

bearbqd

SPlit in half at 60k?? For WHat?? $172,000 for a gearbox??  :o I'll just throw a 833 in it when it goes bad  :smilielol:
73 Cuda 440/500hp
71 Javelin in progress

Mike DC

Bash this excess if you want, but this car is no stupider than trying to make a 40yo musclecar run 8-second quarter miles in street legal condition. 

Armudster

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on August 21, 2009, 05:11:06 PM

Bash this excess if you want, but this car is no stupider than trying to make a 40yo musclecar run 8-second quarter miles in street legal condition.  

At least an old muscle car doesn't need 16 cylinders and 4 turbos to get 1000hp, but since we're talking ultimate overly expensive exotics, I'll pick a Koenigsegg CCX, SSC Ultimate Aero or even a Mc Laren F1 any day over this ugly overpriced piece of shit, just my  :Twocents:

Blown70

Mike DC

QuoteAt least an old muscle car doesn't need 16 cylinders and 4 turbos to get 1000hp, but since we're talking ultimate overly expensive exotics, I'll pick a Koenigsegg CCX, SSC Ultimate Aero or even a Mc Laren F1 any day over this ugly overpriced piece of shit, just my two cents.

Yeah, I agree about the Veyron.  It's a POS in proportion to the price & upkeep, even compared to the other stupid-money exotics.  

IMHO the high-end sports car world really has a displacement problem.  They're so committed to their hi-tech image that they aren't adding displacement to their motors even when it really is the most practical & efficient way to do what they want.  

I mean, 4 turbos?  What kind of dumbass plan is that?  It's not only excess for its own sake, it's even less effective than the more reasonable methods.  You'd think somebody at Bugatti would have realized that their plan was getting a little stupid when their motor needed 26 gallons of circulating coolant.

Ghoste

It isn't about technical achievment or speed with them though.  Those two things in some form are a necessary evil but what the exotic supercars are really about is proving who has the biggest penis by virtue of their bank account.  Period.  Nothing else.  End of story.

1969chargerrtse

I knew it was gonna be that car without even reading the first thread.  That is one amazing automobile.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Mike DC

QuoteIt isn't about technical achievment or speed with them though.  Those two things in some form are a necessary evil but what the exotic supercars are really about is proving who has the biggest penis by virtue of their bank account.  Period.  Nothing else.  End of story.

Yeah, that's the truth. 

Anyone actually wanting performance would get a McLaren F1 or a Mosler and be done with it.  Anyone wanting performance in a real streetable package would get a Corvette or Viper and be done with it. 

John_Kunkel

Well, add me to the "small penis" crowd, I'd kill to own a Veyron no matter how impractical.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leNeCN1xwrU
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Armudster

Quote from: John_Kunkel on August 22, 2009, 04:37:17 PM

Well, add me to the "small penis" crowd, I'd kill to own a Veyron no matter how impractical.

Hey, check out SSC Ultimate Aero, it's faster, more powerfull, cheaper, and instead of a stupid drivetrain it have a tried and true twin turbo V8, oh, and in tests it came all the way to 257 mph, which is more than the Veyron!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bearbqd

Quote from: Armudster on August 22, 2009, 06:15:30 PM
Quote from: John_Kunkel on August 22, 2009, 04:37:17 PM

Hey, check out SSC Ultimate Aero, it's faster, more powerfull, cheaper, and instead of a stupid drivetrain it have a tried and true twin turbo V8, oh, and in tests it came all the way to 257 mph, which is more than the Veyron!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just watched this clip with Jay Leno and that car a few days ago. Pretty impressive.

http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/video/video_player.shtml?vid=275184
73 Cuda 440/500hp
71 Javelin in progress

aussiemuscle

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on August 21, 2009, 11:29:20 PM
I mean, 4 turbos?  What kind of dumbass plan is that?  

i've always wondered what power a 4 cyl would get with 4 turbos  :scratchchin:

bordin34

A guy in my town owns one of those, a Viper GTS-R, a Ferrari F50, a Maserati for the snowy days, and a big AMG Mercedes. From what I have heard, he is a nice guy.

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

gtx6970

pratical has absolutely nothing to do with it.

The Veyron is nothing more then for the  'mines bigger, faster and cost more then yours ' crowd

Silver R/T

its a nice overpriced exotic, I wouldn't mind driving one if it was given to me. For 1.2 Mill I'd own a house
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Silver R/T

Id rather own ZR1, it's more practical, can get parts cheaper and locally vs flying them in from Italy, FAST, awesome handling,

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

NYCMille

KS71owner

I'd take an Ariel Atom or Caterham Super 7 over a Bugatti Veyron. A fraction of the price ($65k for an Atom, Caterhams are around $46k) but still damned fast. Saw an Atom in person for the first time this summer at Automobilia in Wichita....gorgeous car.

Mike DC

Isn't the Atom made of a bunch of existing mechanical parts from other brands, and they mostly just hung them on their own frame?  $65K seems absolutely atrocious for the sum of the parts they really give you.

I think I would sooner just buy a used/wrecked Cobra kit car, take it apart, toss the body shell entirely, and put a compact car's drivetrain & wheels onto that bare-bones framework.  This seems like 70% of the Atom's speed for 30% of the cost. 

KS71owner

I know the engines in Atoms are built by other companies, but I don't know about the other mechanicals. The base engine is from the Honda Civic Type R, and it will soon be available with a 3.0L V8.

Silver R/T

Ariel Atom looks not much better than a dune buggy to me, sorry if I offended anyone.

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

devilgear

The price don't bother me on this car, I just don't think it looks that great.If I had the cash I would get a Lamborgini LP 560 Gallardo Spyder.I know there are faster cars, but damn if that car don't give a full on Semi...To be honest even if I had the cash, a car like that's performance is wasted on me since I can't drive a car like that good anyway...HA