News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What to do about carb?

Started by 375instroke, August 19, 2009, 12:21:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

375instroke

I have a '69 R/T that someone installed a tiny 1405 Edelbrock AFB (600CFM) with manual choke and wimpy electric pump.  I can't imagine what the hell they were thinking.  Got the right pump and vapor separator on it now, so it doesn't die when I get on it any more, but it feels like the car slows down when the secondaries open, like it's too lean I would imagine.  Then when it gets up in RPM, it falls on it's face, which I would attribute to the carb being too small.  I found a 4618 on eBay, but lost the auction.  Haven't found another one, yet, and was wondering about getting the correct size Edelbrock AVS, removing the Edelbrock label, and bead blasting their shiny treatment off.  Just talking out of desperation here.  I'm tired of my car being a turd.  It doesn't deserve that.

Ghoste

The original carb on it would not have been much more than what you have now (about 625).  If you are talking about the Eddy AVS as you mention, they come in 500,650 and 800 so if it were mine I'd put the 800 on there.

TylerCharger69

I run the 1405 without any problem!!   Out of the box even!!!!  And the 1405 IS a 600  cfm carb.

Purple440

Get an AVS rather than the older AFB style.  I have an 800AVS on mine and love it, but need to tighten down the secondaries or it's sluggish with my mild 440.

c00nhunterjoe

you cant go wrong with a 4779 holley 750 double pumper. will cost you about 380-420 for a brand new one depending on where you buy it. they are great carb's. manual choke, mechanical secondaries... you cant go wrong with it, and tuning is a breeze with them. 

i ran a 4777 for years, its a 650 holley, the same as a 4779 but in a 650 cfm.  it ran great on my car but i knew my engine could use a bit more fuel.

i would highly reccomend getting away from teh edlebrock/carter carb's and a try a holley out. if you do you will fall in love with them.