News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Headers for 500" Low Deck Stroker

Started by HDCharger, August 21, 2009, 05:54:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HDCharger

Does TTI make a 2" Header that will work with Performer RPM Heads on a Low Deck in a 73 Charger (B-Body)?  I see 1 7/8 but not 2".  If not what other options do I have?  Run 1 7/8 or maybe another brand.  Thanks, Dave

Also, Car is a column shift if that makes a difference for clearance issues.
MSG, US Army, Retired
1973 Charger SE
1976 Stepside Powerwagon
2007 Ram 1500 Laramie
2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport
1967 Dodge Truck

doctorpimp

2" TTI don't fit on a lowdeck - starter interference issues
'73 Coupe, 470, Keisler 5spd, 3.55 SG; Petty Blue; Hideaway Headlights.

www.cardomain.com/ride/2119216

doctorpimp

You're best to call them for tech advice not sure about column shift. But I know from experience on the 2" with manual trans ;)
'73 Coupe, 470, Keisler 5spd, 3.55 SG; Petty Blue; Hideaway Headlights.

www.cardomain.com/ride/2119216

firefighter3931

TTI only sells 1 3/4 and 1 7/8 headers for the lowdeck engine. I wouldn't have a problem using a 1 7/8 tube on a 600hp engine....it should work just fine.  :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

HDCharger

Thanks Ron, I think that is what I will do.  Dave
MSG, US Army, Retired
1973 Charger SE
1976 Stepside Powerwagon
2007 Ram 1500 Laramie
2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport
1967 Dodge Truck

Joshs68

these are TTI's on my 400/474
all the pipes start with 1 7/8 and then go to 2"
would these be considered 2" or 1/78 headers?

Joshs68

HDCharger

Man Josh I don't have a clue.  What size did you order when you got them.  By builder recommended I get 2" with a 3 1/2" collector but looks like I will get a 1 7/8" with a 3" collector.  Like Ron said I think that will do plenty good on my 500 and I won't have to deal with clearance issues.  They are not cheap though!
MSG, US Army, Retired
1973 Charger SE
1976 Stepside Powerwagon
2007 Ram 1500 Laramie
2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport
1967 Dodge Truck

firefighter3931

Quote from: Joshs68 on August 22, 2009, 12:09:47 AM
these are TTI's on my 400/474
all the pipes start with 1 7/8 and then go to 2"
would these be considered 2" or 1/78 headers?

Are you sure those are TTI's ? The only step header that they currently make is the 2 -2 1/8 raised port RB header that is designed for Indy SR/440-1"s on a 440 (RB) block.

Dave....if you decided to run a raised port head like the Indy SR....then you could run the standard 2 x 3.5in 440 header, instead of the 17/8 x 3in 383 header. The raised ex port on the SR heads put it in the same location on a lowdeck as the stock port does on an RB block.

The reality is that with a stock port window on a 500in engine the power is usually all done by 6k anyway so the slightly smaller tube doesn't hurt the peak numbers.

If you were building a hotter engine with SR's and a solid roller cam then the 2in would make more sense.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

firefighter3931

Quote from: Joshs68 on August 23, 2009, 08:13:55 AM
got kinda quiet in here...

Sorry man....some of us do have to work on the w/e.  :nana: :lol: :cheers:

Ron

Joshs68

I hear ya on the work part I worked from 2245 last nite till 745 this a.m. probably go back out tonight.
They are definately TTI I have the sore wallet to prove it.
I ordered them through the guy that did the resto work on my car. He is a dealer. He ordered them for Mopar stage VI heads ( raised exhaust port) 2" tubes with 3.5" collectors, also special order for straight spark plugs. strange thing is I have the older stage VI street heads, basically the mopar 383/440 aluminum heads if you have a catalog from a few years ago.  they have standard ports intake and exhaust port locations. I dont know what to say but they fit great , I can take better pics of the flanges or construction if you want.

Joshs68

firefighter3931

Quote from: Joshs68 on August 23, 2009, 11:36:50 AM
I hear ya on the work part I worked from 2245 last nite till 745 this a.m. probably go back out tonight.

You work the same crazy hours as me....my nights are 14 hours long (1700-0700) and just finished 3in a row.  :lol:

Quote from: Joshs68 on August 23, 2009, 11:36:50 AM
They are definately TTI I have the sore wallet to prove it.
I ordered them through the guy that did the resto work on my car. He is a dealer. He ordered them for Mopar stage VI heads ( raised exhaust port) 2" tubes with 3.5" collectors, also special order for straight spark plugs. strange thing is I have the older stage VI street heads, basically the mopar 383/440 aluminum heads if you have a catalog from a few years ago.  they have standard ports intake and exhaust port locations. I dont know what to say but they fit great , I can take better pics of the flanges or construction if you want.

Josh, i have the 2x3.5 440 headers on mine (440/RPM heads) and don't remember seeing that step tube when i installed them. The TTI's fit with both straight or angled plugs so i don't think that was a consideration when they were purchased. I'm wondering if your engine guy had them custom made for your application. They are the best fitting headers EVER... and worth the price.  :2thumbs:

Ron

HDCharger

So you guys want to talk work hours do you?  I was here (Iraq) from Sep08 to Mar09 with no day off and on average the hours for a 2 week peroid was 233 with a high of 266.  I did get 60 days off when I got back though to make up for some of the time.  I've been here since Jun this time and average around 215 this trip and I am going to be off Oct/Nov/Dec.  I get to work on the car and play.  Yippie!  Anyway, I am buying the 1 7/8 with 3" collector.  I almost built the moster EZ motor but I was afriad it would jsut be too much for a weekend cruiser.  I think 600/600 will get me where I want to go in plenty a hurry.
MSG, US Army, Retired
1973 Charger SE
1976 Stepside Powerwagon
2007 Ram 1500 Laramie
2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport
1967 Dodge Truck

Joshs68

I am a locomotive enigineer.
I am on call 24/7/365 I never have set hours. I may work 2 nites then 3 days then be off for two days. its a crappy schedule but for a guy with no college education It pays the bills!!

Ron, he did custom order these headers. I dont know why they are stepped,  I know that he pretty much insists on using the TTI stuff if he uses headers.  They tuck under the car great , and its not bad to change plugs either.

any pics I can take of a different angle please let me know.

firefighter3931

Quote from: HDCharger on August 23, 2009, 12:16:37 PM
So you guys want to talk work hours do you?  I was here (Iraq) from Sep08 to Mar09 with no day off and on average the hours for a 2 week peroid was 233 with a high of 266.  I did get 60 days off when I got back though to make up for some of the time.  I've been here since Jun this time and average around 215 this trip and I am going to be off Oct/Nov/Dec.  I get to work on the car and play.  Yippie!  Anyway, I am buying the 1 7/8 with 3" collector.  I almost built the moster EZ motor but I was afriad it would jsut be too much for a weekend cruiser.  I think 600/600 will get me where I want to go in plenty a hurry.

Seems like there are a bunch of us that work fugged up hours. Dave, i think you have us all beat !  :lol:

The 17/8 tube is fine....i read awhile back some dyno reports on a street built E-head 493 comparing the 2in vs 17/8 TTI's and the peak power didn't change (600hp) and actually the torque was stronger down low. I noticed this on my own build when we dynoed the 446.....hp was the same comparing 17/8 vs 2in but torque was 20ftlbs better across the board with the 1 7/8's. I bought those 2in TTI's in preperation for a larger engine....but they did hurt the bottom end power somewhat on my (current) build.  :yesnod:

Quote from: Joshs68 on August 23, 2009, 12:28:05 PM

I am a locomotive enigineer.
I am on call 24/7/365 I never have set hours. I may work 2 nites then 3 days then be off for two days. its a crappy schedule but for a guy with no college education It pays the bills!!

Ron, he did custom order these headers. I dont know why they are stepped,  I know that he pretty much insists on using the TTI stuff if he uses headers.  They tuck under the car great , and its not bad to change plugs either.

any pics I can take of a different angle please let me know.

Josh, the custom order makes sense. Depending on the engine combo he might have felt that a stepped header was the right choice depending on where he expected peak power to be made. Looks like they started off with a standard 1 7/8in lowdeck header and installed the 2in tubes after the first 8-10 inches....similar to the RB stepped headers for the SR's. Pretty cool stuff !  :2thumbs:

Ron