News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Stearing box ?

Started by 4Bangin69, August 10, 2009, 05:24:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

4Bangin69

Can a steering box be rebuilt and if so were do i get the Kit?
  Mine just seams to have lot of play in the collum., i haven't got the car running yet. but I'm sure its old and original. looks like a canon.

bull

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Chatt69chgr

Call Firmfeel and talk to them about what they do to rebuild a box.  After that, you probably will not want to mess with it and, more importantly, you will realize that you don't have the equipment to do so.  Also, you should consider replacing the box in your 69 with a big sector box that came out in I think 1973.  Your box is a small sector.  The pitman arm for the small sector box is expensive and only available from Rare Parts Inc.  The large sector pitman arm is available from MOOG.  You can get that from Rock Auto or a local parts house can order one in.  I seem to recall that they are about $50.  Firmfeel told me that the large sector boxes are less prone to leak after being rebuilt.  Not sure of their policy right now but their core charge is $175.  When I got mine, they told me I could trade in my small sector box and use it for the core for a large sector one.  If you want to keep your old box, you can get a large sector box out of a kazillion 73 and up Mopar cars.  They can be had for about $25 if you take them out.  Almost forgot that the diecast return inlet that bolts onto the steering box is a piece that you will reuse off your current box.  In fact, Firmfeels rebuilt box will not have this item on it since they tell you to take your old one off.  Finally, not sure what the current shipping is but the steering boxes weigh a ton.  You will easily spend $50 plus to ship your box to them.  Unfortunately, they don't have a contract with UPS so you can get a better price.  That is something they should look into if possible.

4Bangin69

You guys are great.. You answered my question. 

But by doing that will it handle like a new car. I shouldnt have all that play in the wheel. I dont want it to drive like a boat..

Bossman963

Yes use firfeel and they do a great job as I have had 2 steering boxes done by them and no slop &  leakage, just amke sure you tell them to use the 1 5/8 shaft and not the old 1 as its almost imposible to find the smaller pittman arm
68 Charger 440- under construction
70 Challenger R/T 383 in 2nd version of Vanishing Point. 4 SALE
69 Boss 302
70 Boss 302
74 pantera GTS

myk

I say you go with a firm feel unit and replace the original.  For example, a lot of the guys in this forum prefer stock manual steering boxes than power steering boxes because power steering equipped cars do not translate any feedback from the road at all.  I'm not sure if the firm feel unit takes care of that problem.  They claim that their stage 2 is equivalent to a modern performance car (I'd give anything for my Charger to feel like my Trans-Am), but it has to be better than the stock power unit which, in my own personal experience, is an accident waiting to happen and is totally unacceptable for any driving over 15 mph...

ODZKing

I did the same on my 67.  Bigger 1 5/8 shaft as well.
Let me say this, I was used to the Chrysler "Super Duper Power Steering" like in the commercial.  You know where you can steer the car with a pencil.  I got the stage one and it was MUCH tighter than my old one.  I've gotten used to it and it steers great - very impressive.
The guys at Firmfeel suggested I use transmission fluid instead of PS fluid so the steer was not so stiff.

terrible one

I got a Firm Feel box as well, and while I can't comment on the performance, customer service was definitely awesome!

Still, I found that what was causing the most play in my steering was the rag joint, not the box itself. I replaced it with a u-joint AND replaced the steering box and now the wheel has basically NO play.

It's definitely a much cheaper way to start . . .

lisiecki1

Quote from: terrible one on August 12, 2009, 08:20:47 AM

I got a Firm Feel box as well, and while I can't comment on the performance, customer service was definitely awesome!

Still, I found that what was causing the most play in my steering was the rag joint, not the box itself. I replaced it with a u-joint AND replaced the steering box and now the wheel has basically NO play.

It's definitely a much cheaper way to start . . .

link to u joint kit?
Remember the average response time to a 911 call is over 4 minutes.

The average response time of a 357 magnum is 1400 FPS.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,52527.0.html

gordo1968charger

68 charger+4 kids=2 jobs

yeahitsgotahemi!

Anybody here use one of those Flaming River manual boxes?
"I don't advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, they just always worked for me"  - Hunter S. Thompson

4Bangin69

Thanks guys im convenced, I must now get a firm feel stearing box.. this is the best site yet.. I can't find any better information than this site.. Im glad I joined. ;D

Bossman963

68 Charger 440- under construction
70 Challenger R/T 383 in 2nd version of Vanishing Point. 4 SALE
69 Boss 302
70 Boss 302
74 pantera GTS