News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Is Mopar action or Mopar muscle out of business?

Started by AKcharger, August 20, 2009, 02:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AKcharger

I thought I read that somewhere? and I haven't got a Mopar Action in months (perhaps My subscription lapsed) Both web sites are up...anyone hear that? :shruggy:

Ghoste

The publishing company that owns Mopar Muscle among many other titles is in Chatper 11.  Naturally at the Nats they assured anyone who subscribed at the booth that they weren't going anywhere.  They probably aren't.

69bronzeT5

Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

Rustymuscle

Quote from: Ghoste on August 20, 2009, 02:34:58 PM
The publishing company that owns Mopar Muscle among many other titles is in Chatper 11.  Naturally at the Nats they assured anyone who subscribed at the booth that they weren't going anywhere.  They probably aren't.

Source Interlink, the current publishing firm, did file Chapter 11 and quickly made its way out of Bankruptcy Court - I believe - over half a year ago. It's highly doubtful that Mopar Muscle would be going anywhere as it still continues to be the #1 Mopar enthusiast magazine in the US and simply flipping through an issue lately shows that its nearly 50% advertisements (a very good thing. Ads pay for magazines. Subscriptions nearly pay for themselves).
1969 Dodge Charger R/T, 535ci Wedge, 727 w/ GV, Dana 60
1970 Dodge Super Bee
2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4
2005 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT HEMI

Ghoste

I suppose that's a matter of perspective.  One of the reasons I dropped my subscription to MM was because of the volume of pages devoted to ads.  Many of the tech articles read like infomercials for those same advertisers and then the rest of the mag is devoted to their dyno challenge (a two issue story dragged out for an entire year), the readers rides a couple of feature cars and then about every third issue they throw in the special "catalog" section which is really just a giant ad designed to get you on mailing lists for the companies.
But I honestly do see your point too.

Rustymuscle

Ghoste, I think I should've been more specific in saying, "as it still continues to be the #1 selling Mopar enthusiast magazine in the US." That doesn't mean its the best...

Your frustrations are totally legitimate. But that sickening devotion to advertising is what is keeping print magazines afloat right now. Its advertising dollars that keep magazines' (and newspapers) doors open. Having been gone from MM for three years now, I've been able to hear a lot of readers' complaints. Surprisingly though, not as many people are bemoaning the same things I hated while I was there, namely countless features on lame cars like '77 Cordobas with 318s and PT Cruisers with 360s and Lambo door conversions...
1969 Dodge Charger R/T, 535ci Wedge, 727 w/ GV, Dana 60
1970 Dodge Super Bee
2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4
2005 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT HEMI

Ghoste

Lol, I agree with you on that too but I liked those better than the ads.  As I said, I totally get your point about ad dollars but there needs to be balance too.  I don't buy mags for the ads, I buy them for the articles and at some point they have to find the no mans land between interesting articles and the subsidies (ads).
I try to NOT complain about any of the Mopar mags because I remember all too well the days when I was grateful for three pages on a customized Duster in Hot Rod or something like that.  FWIW, I dropped MA because of the way each article starts with one page and then you have to thumb through the rest of the mag to read the whole thing.  I dropped ME because it just seemed like each issue was rushed to print without checking facts on the articles (and I'm no expert so if I can pick them out they're pretty bad).  Right now MCG is the only one I subscribe to even though it is far from perfect too (and I've nearly had it with them what with chasing the high dollar customs and the fact that somebody needs to buy Randy Holden a thesaurus).  Now I only buy the others if there is something in there that really grabs me and I truly wish that I could be enticed to subscribe to all of them once again.