News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Heater core

Started by twodko, August 17, 2009, 11:05:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

twodko

Hello Everybody,

I need a little advice concerning my heater core. I've finished the resto on my '69 heater box. In the process of buttoning it up, one of the two heater core tubes is tight against the sheet metal hole through which it protrudes. I pressure tested the new core before installation and its good. I didn't force anything or bend the tube to get the sheet metal plate back on but I'm concerned about the tight fit of that one tube. Opinions please. Thanks.

Tom
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

twodko

Come on guys, did I ask a stupid question? I'm just not sure if I should leave the tubes tight against the sheet metal or take it to a radiator shop and have them bend the tubes a little?

Tom

Ghoste

I'd tweak it a little if it's rubbing against the edge.  Why risk wearing a hole through the tube?

bull

Bend it yourself. They're not made out of tinfoil. :icon_smile_big:

twodko

Thanks Bull & Ghoste,

Tom

Shakey

If it's the aftermarket coil I have been told to extend the tubes a bit (as in cut and braze a piece of copper tube) as there is not much room to put the hose on and have the hose clamp fit properly once they go through the firewall.

Belgium R/T -68

Quote from: Shakey on August 21, 2009, 12:49:38 PM

If it's the aftermarket coil I have been told to extend the tubes a bit (as in cut and braze a piece of copper tube) as there is not much room to put the hose on and have the hose clamp fit properly once they go through the firewall.

I agree on that one. :2thumbs:

Per
Charger -68 R/T 500 cui Stroker

bull

Really? That sucks. better take a close look at mine I guess.

twodko

Hey Guys,

I ever so slightly bent the core tubes so they weren't tight against the heater box back panel. The tubes protruded through the firewall almost as much as the stock box so there was plenty of exposed tube for the hoses. My box is in and working!!!!!! Went in easier than I thought it would too............only several colorful words were used from my Navy days verses a constant stream of vitriol. I took it out for a drive to burn some rubber off the tires and get it up to normal temp. No leaks (fingers crossed) and the Mrs. is pleased she'll have heat this winter. Pictures forth coming. Thanks for all of your advice.

Tom

bull