News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

SUPERBIRD HOOD HINGE SPRING QUESTION

Started by Mopar John, August 10, 2009, 02:09:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mopar John

I would like to know how many coils are in the spring for the hood hinges on a Superbird. I would like someone with an original survivor to check this. Recently I had a guy contact me looking for 21 coil hood hinge springs for a 1970 Plymouth Road Runner with an air grabber hood. According to him the air grabber hood hinges had 21 coils and the regular had 25 coils. I went out to the shop to check my Superbird to see what it had due to the longer hood. Well my passengers side had a 21 coil spring and the drivers side had a 25 coil spring. I never noticed this and maybe thats why my hood doesn't want to go down even.
Thanks! Mopar John

62 Max

Pair of originals.Looks like you have my car. :icon_smile_big:

moparstuart

:popcrn:  mine are oringinal to my real superbird hood I went out & counted   21
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

CornDogsCharger

The hinge springs on the left are from a '69 GTX w/o air induction.  The springs on the right are from a '70 Superbird.  The GTX springs measure 6 inches and the Superbird springs measure 4.5 inches.

Justin
"CornDog"

1966 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Charger (DMCL Project)
1969 Dodge Charger (WB General Lee "GL#004")
1969 Dodge Super Bee

Mopar John

Thanks for the replies and pictures! I have an extra 21 coil hood spring that I will have to get cleaned up and painted. Everyone who replied has the same count on both sides. 62MAX your car looks a lot like mine. Is yours a 6 pack auto console also? I have attached a picture of mine at last falls meet in St. Louis. It is on the Gateway oval getting ready for a few laps!

62 Max

Same except for console.

hemi68charger

Interesting thread.. Soooooooooo, were the Superbirds given a spring with a different number of coils or is it a year to year thing. I would have assumed the Superbird would have had the same hinges as regular production line units throughout the model year, no?

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

CornDogsCharger

To the best of my knowledge the Birds and cars with air induction units ("Ramcharger", "Air Grabber") got the 21 coil springs.  The 21 coils are a more heavy duty spring to support the extra weight.

Justin
"CornDog"
1966 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Super Bee

CornDogsCharger

Well, I take it back.  I just went outside and looked at the springs on my 1970 Plymouth Sport Satellite 4 dr... it had 21 coils too.  Very interesting...

Justin
"CornDog"

1966 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Super Bee

70Sbird

OK,
you all got me wondering what I had going on under my hood.
I counted 21 on the drivers side and 25 on the passenger side! :o
WTF? :shruggy:
I guess I'm anomaly # 2, but with the reverse sides of Mopar John.
Both my springs have the same multiple coats of paint and primer and "appear" to have been on the car through the same repaints. Both sides are also the same diameter wire (.220" with paint coatings)
Is there any logical explanation or ideas? build date, etc....
Mine has a Dec 3 ship date

Scott Faulkner

green69rt

:shruggy:

OK, you guys.  After running across this thread after settling in for the evening I had to put my shoes back on and go out and count mine.  69 Charger SE 383 2bbl auto.....

wait for it..........

25 coils per spring on both sides!!!

Mopar John

70Sbird,
I have owned my car since 1976 and have the same case with the springs as far as coats of paint etc. I think the hinges were pre assembled with the springs and when they ran out or got in a hurry mismatched sets were installed. The bottom line is your hood should fight you more to one side as you try to close it. I never knew why until this spring thing came up. I already bead blasted my extra 21 coil spring and hope to primer and paint to match soon. I believe the birds should have the 21's on both sides due to the weight of the hoods.

70426rtse

My observations on springs is that 69's have a different overall diameter. When it comes to 70 springs it depends on WHERE the car was built.  A Lynch road built (as all Superbirds were) has the LH spring point down in the front. A St. Louis built car has the spring tip point up. The springs are actually wrapped in the opposite direction! Obviously different plants had different suppliers.  I think this thing about different # of coils has more to do with people comparing 69 springs to 70 springs. my  :Twocents:

maxwellwedge

From the 70 Parts book:

Qty: 2

Model  R   21-3/4 coils w/Yellow paint (w/Air Grabber)  Part # 2999448

Model  R and W  25-1/4  coils  w/Red paint  Part # 2862050

No mention of the 'Bird specifically. I'll check my 'Bird this weekend.

Mopar John

Well, I thought I would give everyone an update on my spring project. I left the spring on the donor hinge to beadblast it, prime and paint it. That way I would get the area between the coils and the inside. It is beadblasted primed and painted. As soon as it's dry enough I will swap it out with the 25 coil that is on the drivers side of my Superbird and have the 21 coil type on both sides. I think my hood will open and close more even after that! :2thumbs: