News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Who says a Durango can't tow a Charger?

Started by bull, August 20, 2009, 05:11:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

So what if the '68 is totally gutted and it was only a 1/2-mile tow? The little 4.7 still did it, even up and back down a steep hill! :2thumbs:

Dodge Don

I have an 03 Durango with the 4.7 and the factory tow package....it'll tow a Charger, maybe not as effortlessly as a full sized Ram but it can handle the job.

ipstrategies

My 99 D  5.9 with tow pack,  towed my Charger from Virginia to Ohio no problem and it was complete car. When I bought it I looked at a 2001 with 4.7 but decided the 5.9 would be better for me. The Uhaul trailer with surge brakes helped a lot.
1971 Dodge Charger SE 383 Magnum
1999 Dodge Durango 5.9
1995 Chrysler LHS

bull

Quote from: ipstrategies on August 20, 2009, 07:12:42 PM
My 99 D  5.9 with tow pack,  towed my Charger from Virginia to Ohio no problem and it was complete car. When I bought it I looked at a 2001 with 4.7 but decided the 5.9 would be better for me. The Uhaul trailer with surge brakes helped a lot.

In retrospect I think a 5.9 would have been a better choice, however I had no plans to do any towing other than maybe a tent trailer, so I opted for a better mpg rating. I doubt now whether a 4.7 gets much better mpg than a 5.9 considering the weight. My Durango weighs almost three tons dry I believe. :o I stopped at a truck scale last June fully loaded for a camping trip and it weighed in at almost 6500 lbs.

ipstrategies

bull I know it is heavy and when I bought mine I had a large boat to trailer and was looking for a tow vehicle with room for family and friends with the 3rd row seat it fit the bill. Since Megan is 20 now she and her friends borrow it to go to the Drive in and such I could use a pickup more now but really like driving my Durango.
1999 Dodge Durango 5.9
1995 Chrysler LHS

bull

Quote from: ipstrategies on August 20, 2009, 07:59:33 PM
bull I know it is heavy and when I bought mine I had a large boat to trailer and was looking for a tow vehicle with room for family and friends with the 3rd row seat it fit the bill. Since Megan is 20 now she and her friends borrow it to go to the Drive in and such I could use a pickup more now but really like driving my Durango.

I have the third row seat too and I love it. It also has the buddy seat up front instead of the fixed console so I can fold it up and carry 8 passengers if I need to. In fact today I had myself, two guys from the shop and my two girls along for the ride during the tow back. The Durango is one of my top three favorite vehicles ever.

ipstrategies

I never saw one with a buddy seat, Gibson (my dog would love that) He loves the buddy seat in my Charger. I have a console to go in but know he will not like that as much when I get to that. He loves sitting in the car for hours while I work on it especially when I take it for a drive afterwards.
1999 Dodge Durango 5.9
1995 Chrysler LHS

Road Dog

Cake haul for the Durango. My old car was pulled 10 miles down back country roads by a 1974 Datsun truck. This was back around 1979. Had some electrical issues with the car.
If your wheels ain't spinn'n you ain't got no traction.

Charger74

I tow my 73 quite a bit around town with my 03 Dakota and 4.7.  Trucks doesn't complain at all.

Wango Mango

How about a 5.7 hemi Durango towing a 20' enclosed w/ 69 Charger inside?  Anyone towed this scenario w/ the durango?

bull

Going would be easy but stopping might not be so easy. With trailer brakes I think you'd be fine. It would be a lot to ask any 6,000-lb. vehicle to stop itself plus another 7-8k lbs. behind it going down a hill if grandma pulled out in front of you in her Caprice.

Dodge Don

Quote from: Wango Mango on August 21, 2009, 11:47:19 AM
How about a 5.7 hemi Durango towing a 20' enclosed w/ 69 Charger inside?  Anyone towed this scenario w/ the durango?

That might be pushing it a tad too much. Those enclosed trailers aren't that light.

Chatt69chgr

My charger was towed from Huntsville, AL to Chattanooga on a 16 ft dual axle float behind a Durango with 4.7 engine.  Did just fine.