News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Cars is running really hot

Started by tripleblkr/t, August 19, 2009, 09:57:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tripleblkr/t

I have a 69 dodge charger with a 440, 440 source high vol water pump, alum stealth heads, alum intake, new 3 core factory radiator, and it's running hot. I've been running it around for the first week without a thermostat and it was still running hot, so I thought I'd add a 160 degree thermostat in it and it would run cooler and it's actually running almost pinned out last night while driving. It was probably around 75 degree's last night and really muggy. Should I have a different kind of thermostat in it for a high volume water pump? Also forgot to mention the engine was just as cool as could be on the dyno around 168 degrees. I've noticed some thermostats have a hole drilled in the side of them, do I need to do that to mine?

RECHRGD

You need to go to the 'Engine, Transmission, Rear End & Exhaust' section and read the thread that is stickied to the top of the page.  Bob
13.53 @ 105.32

jbweems

How is the timing?  I was having trouble with mine.  It wasn't running hot but was running hotter than I felt comfortable with.  Tried a new radiator but it boiled down to a timing issue.  Changed my distributor cap and got the timing set and it cooled it down about 20 degrees.
1972 Charger
2004 Ram 1500

doctorpimp

See what Bob said - you have a bad waterpump housing. Ron figured this one out - the 440 source casting is junk. I think most people with that housing run hot - me included! Gonna change mine to a factory or Mancini housing and Milodon pump...
'73 Coupe, 470, Keisler 5spd, 3.55 SG; Petty Blue; Hideaway Headlights.

www.cardomain.com/ride/2119216

bull