News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

General Lee Movie Car Wreck

Started by JMF, August 18, 2009, 11:02:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TylerCharger69

It's so sad to see that.....is this thing even worth trying to repair??

Ghoste

I believe that's the car that was shot up onto the freeway in the DOH movie.  It's part of the Peterson museum auction in LA but I believe all the cars belong to one collector.  Don't quote me though.

moparstuart

I assume maybe there were several cars used for the shot , but my buddy J R in wichita kansas has one that was shot up onto the hwy and hit the center barrier .

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Ghoste

For some reason I was thinking that was this car but clearly it isn't.  There may well have been more than one destroyed for the scene but I don't know.  One of the GL fans should know by the vin which car this one is for sure?

moparstuart

I emailed my buddy J R barton  here is what he had to say about the jump car and jump scene .

Actually My car is the ONLY car that was used in that shot. Every camera angle you see of that jump is only of my car. They used another car before mine but it nose dived into the street. So it was not used.

Ghoste

Could this be the nose dive one?  That is the only scene they used the catapult for is it not?

MoparManJim

The highway jump scene went through 2 cars as I know of. Remember, when the one landed, he hit the ground and went to the left side, the other car hit the ground and went right and into the other side of the graurd rails as well like the other one did on the other side.

You can see it in the making part of the dvd as well of the two cars do the stunts.  :shruggy:

Ghoste

Judging by the pic, I'd say this is the car that went to the right. :lol:

moparstuart

Quote from: Ghoste on August 18, 2009, 01:51:43 PM
Judging by the pic, I'd say this is the car that went to the right. :lol:
they must have had john come by and sing while stomping on the roof again also   :smilielol: :smilielol:

BB1

Delete my profile

moparstuart

according to JR

That one for the auction is the TEST car they used before mine. They jumped it for that particular scene, but it went all wrong and nose dived into the concrete and they didn't like it. Therefore they used MY car for the same shot. It jumped and FLEW perfect and landed flat. therefore ALL the camera shots you see of that jump in the show are of MY car and ONLY of my car. So when they CLAIM that car is the one you see in the show. They are lying. Rather they know it or not. If not they need to be better educated before they get sued for selling a not so true car.

he sent me several pictures of his car , If someone can resize them I will email them to you ?    

Mike DC

It's a bare shell, possibly a HLPAG car before WB got it but I'm not sure. 

It was thrown over the bridge jump at the beginning and it was highway jumped too (after being repainted in post-cooter form).  Then they used it for a test throw back at the dealership before doing the courthouse jump with other LEEs.

Most of the visible damage was from the final test throw where it rolled over.   

The car was in maybe one shot during the river/bridge jump. (The jump looks fake because they were using shots of two different flights, not because of any computer effects.)     

The final film's highway jump was all clips of the other attempt that turned out better.

jb666

HLPAG CLAIMED to have made 12 cars for the movie..Who knows if any of that's true..

Either way, I think BK could buy this car and make a super clean driver out of it.  :2thumbs: Who knows, maybe I'd buy it.

jaak

Isn't this the one Travis use to own?

Jason

69bronzeT5

Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

MoparManJim

Quote from: jb666 on August 18, 2009, 07:13:39 PM
HLPAG CLAIMED to have made 12 cars for the movie..Who knows if any of that's true..

Either way, I think BK could buy this car and make a super clean driver out of it.  :2thumbs: Who knows, maybe I'd buy it.

I heard that help with 7 cars  ::)

Mike DC

HLPAG supplied some raw-material Dodge Chargers.  The fact that HLPAG had given them crappy GL paintjobs was irrelevant.  

The movie producers tore down & rebuilt all the Chargers they got to their own specs.  ALL of them were redone for the fall 2004 movie shoot, even the older GLs that the studio sent from California.  

69charger2002

Quote from: moparstuart on August 18, 2009, 01:42:32 PM
I emailed my buddy J R barton  here is what he had to say about the jump car and jump scene .

Actually My car is the ONLY car that was used in that shot. Every camera angle you see of that jump is only of my car. They used another car before mine but it nose dived into the street. So it was not used.

that is definitely not entirely true..  His car DID land better and they did use the other car's footage as it was a cleaner landing.   i was there and filmed both. i owned this car that is the topic of discussion here, i bought it right after filming in 2004 before all the cars were shipped back to WB in California.  amazing how facts get twisted to what people want to believe, and it's only been 4 years.. sad..
here's what actually happened just to clarify.. the car i owned was jumped and hit the ground pretty good but upon hitting broke the right front of the car causing it to veer right violently and crash into the right guard rail on I-110 in baton rouge. later that morning they jumped the other guy's car and it landed straighter but still smoked the center barrier of the interstate on it's left side. they used footage from both cars in the movie. and showed the landing of my old car in the outtakes.. you can see it was pretty violent.. the coming down part they used footage from the other car because it was cleaner.. actually, believe it or not, my old general(the one that will be auctioned off again soon at rm auctions) made a prior jump as a pre-cooter general lee that did the jump across the creek towards the begining of the movie. now the REAL shocker is.. after the pre cooter jump, then the jump onto the interstate, the car STILL didn't look that bad, it actually had the wheel fixed and was presentable.. they wanted to do a practice jump at the transportation department location the day before they did the final big jump in the movie that was done at the courthouse(it ramped off cooter's tow truck).. well for the practice jump they used this same car(the one i had).. they did it in the backlot behind where the cars were built(i have this jump on film as well).. the car nose dived when it was sling shot and flipped over onto it's roof.. of course this jump was practice and didn't even get recorded but by a couple local people(myself included).. but oddly enough that is what did most of the damage to the car you're looking at. It is known that it is the ONLY general lee in history to have been jumped 3 times(series or movie), and that makes this car really special. after becoming a fast rusting lawn ornament in my yard in 2005, i decided to sell the car on ebay. Volo auto museum actually bought the car and later sold it for a huge profit to a collector in Idaho or Utah, something like that. i had lost track of the car until recently when it popped up for this auction. Just wanted to clarify i was around for all of the filming and although i'm not really into the dukes/general lee scene anymore,  ihate it when facts get skewed. pisses me off.
here is a pic of me with the car the day before i "bought" it in 2004.

i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

69charger2002

Quote from: BB1 on August 18, 2009, 02:08:17 PM
I'll give them $500. for it.  :down:

that's what i gave WB for it!   :2thumbs:
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

Todd Wilson

My budd JR has the car!  Has paperwork to go with it!   :icon_smile_big:

Todd

moparstuart

Quote from: Todd Wilson on August 19, 2009, 12:31:04 AM

Todd

he has repaired the car enouight to be drivible he can mov it around

Todd Wilson

Quote from: moparstuart on August 19, 2009, 09:02:33 AM
Quote from: Todd Wilson on August 19, 2009, 12:31:04 AM

Todd

he has repaired the car enouight to be drivible he can mov it around

Yeah I got some photos somewhere of him and his bud working on it. He's too busy with the batmobile right now! HAHA!

Todd

bull

Quote from: Ghoste on August 18, 2009, 01:44:39 PM
Could this be the nose dive one?  That is the only scene they used the catapult for is it not?

I don't think this is the only scene in which they used a catapult. IIRC, according to the behind the scenes info they used a catapult in the jump made in town toward the end of the movie and I'm pretty sure they used one early in the movie when they jumped the creek.

Mike DC

The bridge/river jump and the highway jump were each catapulted twice. 

The courthouse jump was jumped once with a piloted car under its own power, but the ramp broke & slowed the car too much.  They catapulted an empty car for the second attempt at the courthouse.