News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

My 1st old Charger found and bought it back.

Started by BrianShaughnessy, August 18, 2009, 10:48:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrianShaughnessy

Quote from: teamroth on August 24, 2009, 09:13:24 PM
Brian, i am dying to know because I am supposed to go look at a 68 that needs some work with an older rebuild on a 360. Did you give him his asking price? If you don't wanna put it out there i understand, very curious though. Best of luck man. :cheers:
Oh and don't play the lotto anymore, you just used up all your good luck.... :smilielol:

He said FIRM and he really really meant it.  I did a lot of pacing and fidgeting and whatnot over this dogdays weekend.

Good luck with the 68.

Megamillions is up to like 250M.   I was gonna throw $5 at it.   ;D
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

firefighter3931

Quote from: BrianShaughnessy on August 24, 2009, 08:50:14 PM

Let this be a lesson for anybody that gets talked into selling their old car and
who goes around kicking themselves for selling "that" car and regretting it.   I got a chance.  As freaking weird as this situation is and was - I'm getting a second chance!
It's blowing my mind - this guy was freaked out also.   

I'm actually quite grateful to the guy that has held onto the car for so long...  It'll be a real time machine for me.  I'm grateful he held out instead of handing it over to somebody with not quite enuf $ and also grateful he turned away some GL wannabe's.

I did not expect last week to be looking at another project,  I had no real desire to start anything much lately,  maybe except get the stroker into Black Betty this winter.
I had no real desire to start shoveling cash into another hole in the road....  but here I am.

Now the stroker shortblock will be going somewhere else.

Congrats on scoring your old ride Brian...quite the story.  :icon_smile_big:

Not too many people get a second chance at their first car...totally awesome !  :2thumbs:

Here's a Keiths for ya Brother  :cheers:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

69*F5*SE

Congrats Brian  :cheers:  Great story.  Can't wait to see some good pics.   :yesnod:

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

bull

twodko

Brian,

GO BUY A LOTTO TICKET NOW!!!!! Congrats on reacquiring your old car. Things like this rarely occur so you must be blessed. The value of your car just increased by way of the story alone. I am very happy for you buddy.

Hopefully somebody at Mopar Muscle mag catches this story (with an email hint perhaps). They might chip in some coin to resto the car for the rights to run an exclusive spread on the whole story. Keep some pictures coming and anything you may hear from the guy you bought it back from.

Tom
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

Old Moparz

Quote from: BrianShaughnessy on August 24, 2009, 08:27:26 PM
     Wire transfer complete...  transport arranged.

My advice for anybody who finds a car....   STFU until after you buy it.  And if it says FIRM... well...  maybe it means that.    :Twocents:

I apparently sparked a lot of interest by posting this....   fortunately I prevailed.
Unfortunate for others.        In a few months I'll be knee deep into this project and probably wishing I hadn't.

I didn't know it was my car... I only suspected it.    Now I know the details that it was / is my car.  Will post up more pics next week I suppose.

Anyway...   put another quarter in the jukebox - play that song again.    Round and round and round and round we go...  when the resto gets done nobody knows.

What's the matter, my trailer wasn't good enough for your POS time machine?

:smilielol:
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

gers1968rt

Hey Brian, congrats on the acquisition, even though you weren't looking for it, it's an awesome story. Gerry
I used to own a mopar because it was different, but now I know better.

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Chris G.

Congrats Brian!! Great story with a happy ending. I'm cheap, so have a Bud Light (can) on me... :cheers:

I would love to buy my old car back. I sold it in hopes for something better and that didn't pan out. I'm certain that if I contacted the guy who owns it now, he would want more money than it's worth. Too bad for me I guess.  :-\

Spike

Dang Brian, I looked at that car on Craig list. It's fairly close to me as well. One day maybe you can bring it back home all finished up and enjoy the Harper Cruise (this Wednesday). Good Luck :2thumbs:

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

BrianShaughnessy

You'll have to wait for good pics till next Monday when it gets delivered.
I already wrote that in a previous post.

But thanks for the well wishes everybody...  good luck with your hunts!

I blew up the stuff from the ad... that's about all I got for now.

Tilar

I noticed it too when searching for a 3rd gen.  I'm heading into NY this weekend about 90 miles east of Buffalo and coming right up 90 with a 22 ft trailer. Leaving out early Friday morning. I don't know if it would be of any help but I'll be empty going up.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

69 OUR/TEA

69bronzeT5

Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

charge-it

Brian, congats on doing the right thing. It will be a labor of love. Here's a story that you might want to sit back and listen to. In 1981 I owned a 1970 GTX FY1, column auto airgrabber car with a black bucket seat interior. In 1982 my now ex-wife and I were execting our first child so it made sense to sell the GTX and use the funds to spruce up the babies room. I never regfetted selling the car but certainly missed it. The car was a 3 owner matching numbers car at that time. I had paid a whopping 2K for it back then and sold it for 2K. Fast forward to 2001. I was reading through our local swap guide and saw a 1970 GTX for sale. I called about it and found out it was my old GTX. (I still had the vin in my file, rs23uoa116327) The car had been through the hands of over a dozen abusive owners and was dented and quite rusted but still retained its matching numbers drivetrain and the owner had found and preserved the buildsheet. I went back and looked it over twice and talked myself out of it as it was going to be too big of a project. I went back and third time and bought it for $2500.00. I then spent the next four years restoring that car. Even the ex wife found some old pics of the car when her and I owned it back in the day and gave them to me. I poured my heart and soul into that car. Here's where you need to pay attention. Like an idiot that was blinded by dollar signs I sold the car. That was one of the most idiotic things I have ever done. I got a second chance and blew it by selling it. Four years of work restoring the car gone because of greed I guess. Mopars were setting record prices a few years back and what I thought was a way over the top offer was just a fair offer but it was enough to make me sell the car, I was rich! LISTEN TO ME! DO NOT EVER SELL your old car again. Enjoy it and don't look back. I know where my old GTX is but it is not for sale and if it ever does come up for sale I'll only find out about it after the fact. One thing is I learned that lesson the hard way, you won't have to if you've read this story.
Visit our new website:

http://www.pepsparts.com

aussiemuscle

Quote from: charge-it on August 25, 2009, 06:05:08 PM
I know where my old GTX is but it is not for sale and if it ever does come up for sale I'll only find out about it after the fact.

couldn't you leave him your name for first dibs if he ever decides to sell?

gordo1968charger

Brian, congats on doing the right thing. It will be a labor of love. Here's a story that you might want to sit back and listen to. In 1981 I owned a 1970 GTX FY1, column auto airgrabber car with a black bucket seat interior. In 1982 my now ex-wife and I were execting our first child so it made sense to sell the GTX and use the funds to spruce up the babies room. I never regfetted selling the car but certainly missed it. The car was a 3 owner matching numbers car at that time. I had paid a whopping 2K for it back then and sold it for 2K. Fast forward to 2001. I was reading through our local swap guide and saw a 1970 GTX for sale. I called about it and found out it was my old GTX. (I still had the vin in my file, rs23uoa116327) The car had been through the hands of over a dozen abusive owners and was dented and quite rusted but still retained its matching numbers drivetrain and the owner had found and preserved the buildsheet. I went back and looked it over twice and talked myself out of it as it was going to be too big of a project. I went back and third time and bought it for $2500.00. I then spent the next four years restoring that car. Even the ex wife found some old pics of the car when her and I owned it back in the day and gave them to me. I poured my heart and soul into that car. Here's where you need to pay attention. Like an idiot that was blinded by dollar signs I sold the car. That was one of the most idiotic things I have ever done. I got a second chance and blew it by selling it. Four years of work restoring the car gone because of greed I guess. Mopars were setting record prices a few years back and what I thought was a way over the top offer was just a fair offer but it was enough to make me sell the car, I was rich! LISTEN TO ME! DO NOT EVER SELL your old car again. Enjoy it and don't look back. I know where my old GTX is but it is not for sale and if it ever does come up for sale I'll only find out about it after the fact. One thing is I learned that lesson the hard way, you won't have to if you've read this story.
TRUE THAT!
68 charger+4 kids=2 jobs

ZSmithersCharges

Can always replace money... cant replace your love.  Lesson learned my friend lesson learned  :pity:  Nothing to do now but move on to bigger and better things.

TeeWJay426

Quote from: aussiemuscle on August 26, 2009, 01:06:47 AM
I know where my old GTX is but it is not for sale and if it ever does come up for sale I'll only find out about it after the fact.

couldn't you leave him your name for first dibs if he ever decides to sell?

I'm with aussiemuscle on this one..... pay the current owner a visit, explain the story to him, and leave your contact info.... never know when that call might come!

BTW, Brian, congrats on re-scoring your old ride! Look forward to seeing it at Carlisle one of these years!
74 Charger SE, 400 HP, 4-speed

BrianShaughnessy

Great story!    Yeah... I'm not really interested in the profit / loss margins on my pride and joys.   It's never been a factor in much of anything I do and I hope I don't change that.   I hope you're able someday to get yours back.     The guy I'm buying mine back from bought it from the kid I sold it to years ago... he was hoping to find his old 69 GTX someday. 

BrianShaughnessy

A few more pix came in the mail.

I asked for a closeup of what's left of the mural on the decklid.    Maybe later.

tan top

looks  pretty straight  :yesnod: , nice set of slots by the look of it  :yesnod:
were they on the car when you sold it ?
i spy hood pins , wonder if they are factory ,  :scratchchin:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

BrianShaughnessy

Quote from: tan top on August 26, 2009, 07:55:08 AM
looks  pretty straight  :yesnod: , nice set of slots by the look of it  :yesnod:
were they on the car when you sold it ?
i spy hood pins , wonder if they are factory ,  :scratchchin:

Slots were on it when I bought and sold it.   Looks like same old tires... maybe.

Hood pins were my doing.   I tried the keyed / locking variety after some buttwipe that was supposedly my friend stole my plug wires and Supercoil once but I went back to the old lanyard setup.    I have a new set of repros from YO that I never put on Black Betty waiting  :icon_smile_big:

Here's a shot of the 70 buckets I put in from a friends wreck way back when.