News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1968 Orange Charger Production Numbers?

Started by Dr V, August 18, 2009, 07:54:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr V

Hi gang,   been awhile since ive been on, and I have a question.   I ran into a guy that wants to sell a 1968 special order 999 orange charger.  The car doesnt have the original motor.  But it is an original console four speed ( 1 of 259).   The car isnt an R/T but it is a black plate car that is absolutely perfect.   Any idea on value and also how many 4 spds were made in this color?   Thanks   Doc
This Damn Car Thing Is Getting Expensive!

Dans 68

There is no way to know how many of any particular color were made (all documentation was lost in a fire a long time ago). It sounds like this may be one of the Bengal Chargers (http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,32703.0.html), or at least a unique example of one of the rare '68 XP 4-speeds. Have you photos to share? Is the fender tag still on the car? I would love to see it!  :2thumbs:

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

Dr V

Yes the fender tag is on the car.    Under PNT it says 999.   The sheet may be under the seats.  Not sure though.   Its an original panel car for sure.   The guy that owns it has
known the car since 1973.   So its history is immaculate.   Any idea on a fair price on this rare piece?

Troy

As mentioned, an exact number of 999 orange cars would be tough to pinpoint. I think it's safe to say that the majority would be Bengal Chargers in 1968. It's already rare due to it being a 4-speed. I just saw a 999 orange car at the Nats (no Bengal markings) but I don't remember where it was from. Other than that, I don't think I've ever seen s real one in person.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Dans 68

The paint code 999 just means a special color was ordered.

A running '68 Charger in good mechanical and cosmetic shape, in this market, would run about 12.5K to 15K. Throw in a 4-speed and big block and the price increases by 5K to 7K. An original '68 XP 4-speed (albeit without the original engine) would add about a K (if that is important to you and the seller). If it is one of the 50 Bengal Chargers then add at least another 5K to 10K.

Disclaimer - these are all subjective numbers and should not be held against me -  ;)

Look for the build sheet, and send a photo of it (if it is found, of course  :icon_smile_wink:) and fender tag to me and I'll try to decode it. It sounds like a good find.  :cheers:

Dan

1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

Ghoste

Wasn't that 999 car at the Nats parked with those guys who were there to promote the Supercar Shootout?

Dr V

You guys dont miss a beat.   LOL    That bengal one at the nats parked at the shootout tent is the one.   I have a chance to buy it through a friend of mine that has bought cudas from the same guy.    I couldnt find anything wrong with the car.   And the orange for me is a must have to add to my other three orange cars.   

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Ghoste

Dr V

Ghoste,   I dont know.   How do you tell?    The tag?     And also,  whats the short story behind a bengal charger? 

68X426

Dr. V, I'll bite, what's the V stand for?

Troy posted material on this site several years ago. Here's some of it:

The BENGAL Charger is a rare species of Mopar history that was specifically built in 1968 to celebrate the Cincinnati Bengals first year in the American Football League. Its special order Tiger Orange paint and Bengal Stripes, combined with "BENGAL Charger" fender badges make it a truly unique car and an eye-catching crowd pleaser. Only 50 of these beauties were produced and there's only a couple that have been tracked down. Hopefully they survived and are in someone's garage.

Below is a brief history of how the Bengal Charger came to be...

Fifty "Bengal" Chargers were special ordered by Cincinnati Dodge dealer Tom Kneer to commemorate the Cincinnati Bengals' first year in the American Football League (AFL). All of the cars were painted "Tiger" orange and had black "Bengal" Stripes, black vinyl tops and black interiors. The cars were optioned with a variety of equipment.

As a devoted football fan, Tom Kneer was very excited to learn that his city would have an AFL expansion team beginning with the 1968 season. He decided to build a special car to celebrate the event. He envisioned mating the sleek new form of the '68 Charger with badgethe feline "Bengal" name and team colors - a match that couldn't miss.

Tom found out from Barry Buse (one of the team owners and a close friend) that the team's primary colors would be orange and black. In 1968, Orange paint was not available as an option on Chrysler Corporation passenger cars, so Tom selected an orange paint currently being used as a fleet color for Dodge trucks. The color he chose was originally developed for use on Michigan State Highway vehicles.

Tom contacted Chrysler with his request for orange cars. Chrysler told him that in order for them to build any cars with a special color, he would have to order a minimum of 50. He eventually agreed to special order 50 orange cars with an assortment of options. Most of the cars were equipped with a 318 or 383 engine. He had a few 6 cylinder cars built for marketing purposes and an estimated 10 - 12 R/Ts. Tom's dealership was having a hard time selling the Hemi option because of its high markup. For this reason, there are no Hemi Bengals.

Because Tom was purchasing so many cars, Chrysler agreed to throw in the black Sport Stripes for free. In 1968, Chrysler put Sport Stripes on the Charger R/T only. Since most of the Bengals were not R/Ts, obviously, an exception was made. For this reason and because they were free, the stripe does not appear on the broadcast sheet but instead was part of the special order processing along with the orange paint.

The chrome "BENGAL Charger" fender badges were made in Cincinnati and were mounted on the cars when they arrived at the dealership.

The Bengals were all built at the Hamtramck, Michigan assembly plant.

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

Dr V

The Dr V stands for Dr VanDamia.   A bit long for alot of ppl to pronounce,   So Dr V was coined by one of my girls @ 10 yrs ago.      Anyways,   thanks a lot for the info.   I didnt see any stripes or badging on this car.   But it was a 4 spd and a true orange(kinda like go mango) car.    If I got the vin or the tag info could we tell?

Ghoste

There was nothing on the fender tag to denote it being a Bengal Charger other than the 999 code for special paint.  I didn't notice fender badges on that car in Columbus which was why I asked you if it was one of them or not.  Badges are easily lost as we all know.
I think, but I'm by no means sure, that all of the VINS which were sold as 68 Bengal Chargers were on record?  One of the 68 gurus will know for sure.

Dr V

If i find out that this car is one of them then it will be officially off the market.     BTW,   Whats a fair price?

Magnumcharger

1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

68X426

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Dr V

Steelers for sure.   8 years at the Univ of Pittsburgh sealed that fate.   And yes,  If I have the penalty of having 8 more wives at my office telling me what to do all day,  they are atleast going to be HOT!!!! 

bull

Here's another good link: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,32703.0.html

To my knowledge there were no stock orange colors available for Chargers in 1968 so if a guy wanted an orange 68 Charger he'd have to order it that way. Doesn't necessarily mean it's not a Bengal Charger but doesn't mean it is either. According to the link I posted above there was a Bengals badge at the back of both fenders which I assume was held on by pins and speed nuts through the sheetmetal. If so there should be some evidence of that on the fenders. It should also have come with a black vinyl top.

Dr V

This car did come with a factory black top and special order orange.   The badge holes may have been filled in at the repaint.   Not Sure?      In everyomes opinion.    Is 31 or 32K  too much for this car?????

Dans 68

...if it is one of the Bengal Chargers, no. Otherwise probably high by at least a few thousand. A difficult decision, for sure, as it would definitely complement your collection. If you want it, and can afford it, get it.  :2thumbs:

Dan

moparstuart

Quote from: Dans 68 on August 20, 2009, 09:23:18 AM
...if it is one of the Bengal Chargers, no. Otherwise probably high by at least a few thousand. A difficult decision, for sure, as it would definitely complement your collection. If you want it, and can afford it, get it.  :2thumbs:

Dan
:yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Dr V

I have a feeling that I want it for 2 reasons.   The color and the console 4spd.  If it was rare then that would be a bonus.

Dans 68

Great! When I got mine I also wanted it because of the 4-speed...it was already "red/orange" (originally QQ1 blue) so we (will) have close copies. Post up more pics when you close the deal. And an early congratulations! I hope it happens for you.

Dan