News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Proform Rockers

Started by aifilaw, November 22, 2005, 08:21:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aifilaw

as some of you who have really good attention spans know I'm about 1/4 of the way toward a top end rebuild with an eye on the future and a close eye on my waning bank account. I've never used these nor heard of anyone using them, but the price is definitely right.

http://store.yahoo.com/chucker54/manciniracing13.html

They end up being cheaper than the traditional iron ductile rockers I was going to use, converting a hydrallic to a solid flat-tappet...and now I'm really considering going roller on the rocker, and if I can get it done cheap enough, hydrallic roller on the rest.
'72 B5 Metallic Blue Hardtop
426" Wedge - Hydraulic Roller Stealth heads

firefighter3931

Not a fan of those allthough i haven't used them personally. Feedback from others that have wasnt good. Inconsistent ratios from one rocker to the next, soft adjusters and poor construction were the complaints. The fulcrum area was of concern to those i spoke with, particularly if big spring pressures were in the plans (roller cam). How good can a $200.00 set of roller rockers really be ?

For a "budget" rocker the crane ductile is hard to beat. If you're venturing into roller cam territory with big valvespring pressures then you want a quality rocker arm that can handle the load. The means something like a Comp steel roller or a Harland Sharp if you want a fully rollerized arm....on the fulcrum as well as the tip. I went with the Harland Sharps in anticipation of future upgrades. If i want to use a solid roller grind with 600lbs of open pressure there won't be any worries.   :yesnod:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Steve P.

I must admit I looked at them at the last show I went to. The price says it all.. It says (((BUY ME)))..

I didn't.. I was close, but something little bell went off in my head saying, (if they were any good, the guys on the charger site would be talking about them).. The same salesman told me that their MSD look alike was just as good if not better.. That's when I turned and walked away quickly.. :eyes:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Chryco Psycho

I love the indestructability & simplicity of the ductile iron for street use

doechsle

Hey Aifilaw, haven't seen you in a while. I can hook you up on some Harland Sharpe or Comp's if you like.I think but cannot be sure the pro form may be cats.Take it easy,Dennis

cudaken

If they are CAT's they make your pistons in to ash trays, right Brain ;D

Look at what Dennis has.

Cuda Ken

I am back

firefighter3931

Quote from: phat69charger on November 23, 2005, 01:39:55 PM
Anyone have any experience with these rocker arms : http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7960709533&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Those look like the CAT rockers that siezed on Brian Shaunnesey's E-headed 440. Caused major carnage when they held the valves open after welding themselves to the rocker shaft. Bent valves, dented pistons.....big repair bill and engine teardown....not good !

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

phat69charger

BrianShaughnessy

Quote from: firefighter3931 on November 23, 2005, 02:59:14 PM
Quote from: phat69charger on November 23, 2005, 01:39:55 PM
Anyone have any experience with these rocker arms : http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7960709533&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Those look like the CAT rockers that siezed on Brian Shaunnesey's E-headed 440. Caused major carnage when they held the valves open after welding themselves to the rocker shaft. Bent valves, dented pistons.....big repair bill and engine teardown....not good !

Ron

Yeah... what he said  :icon_smile_blackeye:     
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

Steve P.

and they don't weigh enough to make a good anchor... :icon_smile_cool:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

doechsle

Those are the Cat, I had a customer send a set to a University to be checked and was told the material of the shaft is not compatable with the rocker material. I am looking into some coatings that may solve this issue. There is a Diamond coating that can be used on the shafts to solve the galling , but you will still need to replace the lock nuts on the adjusters also because they are a real cluster ****. Some arp nuts 3/8 x 24 will solve that.No how much $ do you want to have in a set of rockers antway?

phat69charger

Well how much I'll spend is not a major issue, it's just when I started to work on the car I hadn't looked around for parts on ebay like I do now, I've brought a bunch of parts from yearone and other parts places first then I see that same part on ebay at a lower price so now I always check on ebay for parts, then sell Harlan sharp rockers arms with and without the shafts on ebay, and that may be what I go with? I'm just asking what fellow mopar owner's use or recommend.

Harland's no shafts: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HARLAND-SHARP-MOPAR-440-ROCKER-ARMS-1-5-SET_W0QQitemZ8016041691QQcategoryZ33624QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

With shafts: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HARLAND-SHARP-MOPAR-440-ROCKER-ARMS-1-5-KIT_W0QQitemZ8016041699QQcategoryZ33624QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

firefighter3931

If you're planning on the Harland Sharp rockers....just order the whole set including shafts and hold downs. The shafts are specific to the HS rockers and are specially hardened. A stock hold down won't fit with the HS rockers either....you need theirs or have something machined up to the right spec. In the end, it's just easier to purchase the entire kit and not have to mess around. I'm sure Doschle could fix you up just fine on a set of those.

Ron

cudaken

Due to BrianShaughnessy miss hap I did get a replacment slug that will work with mu POS 440.

Ken. sorry Brain.
I am back

doechsle

Phat 69 I did not mean "you " specifically, just you as in the person reading the post :icon_smile:

BrianShaughnessy

Quote from: cudaken on November 23, 2005, 07:27:11 PM
Due to BrianShaughnessy miss hap I did get a replacment slug that will work with mu POS 440.

Ken. sorry Brain.

And some spare ashtrays too!   I can't use them anymore since I quit smoking a year and a half ago now.  :icon_smile_dead:

Anyway...   I got a smoking deal on those Comp rockers outta the deal. 

My friend E-booger recommends the Crane ductile set for most street motors.    He's not too keen on aluminum rockers on street motors anyway...  in fact he had a set of HS's on his shop bench the other week.   He was very indifferent on them when I asked.  You can take it or leave it at that.     

Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.