News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

When old and new collide

Started by Ghoste, August 16, 2009, 11:56:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

I know there are some pics posted of this car on the Mopar Nats thread but I wanted to post a couple more of it for a couple of reasons.  The first being that I had mentioned a while back about hearing rumors that this car existed but I couldn't locate it.  As it turns out it does exist and I had to drive 6 hours to see a car that is only 15 minutes away from me at home.
This is a 2007 Charger wrapped up in 1968 Charger sheet metal.  It belongs to a guy local to me named Dan Verellen who I've known of but only in an offhand way for a while.  This isn't exactly my cup of tea but he also has a 68 Charger RT that is a real nice car so that is a redeemer too.

FlatbackFanatic

Flatback Fanatic, Kurt  , MN

Ghoste

He wants to start a business converting new ones to look like old ones.  I'm not sure if the market is there or not but hats off to him for jumping in.  There was a lot of work involved and it won't be cheap to do.  But yeah, it was pretty cool, and odd in a way too.

69bronzeT5

So it started as a '07 and then he added '68 sheetmetal?
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

Ghoste

69bronzeT5

Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

MoparManJim

Sorry, but I don't buy it being a 2007 Charger with 1968 sheet metal warp around it. It's more like a 1968 with 2007 stuff in/on it. The wheel base looks like a 2nd gen charger wheel distance also.The door jabs also somethinge. The front clip area looks like a 2nd gen foundation as well just wit ha newer motor planeted in the bay is all. I already seen photos of 2nd gens with 2007 charger interiors in them and this looks just like one of them is all.  :shruggy:

Ghoste

Could be, I wasn't there when he built it.  I will add that it has the 07 complete drivetrain not just the engine and it has the new cars suspension as well.  I believe he once had one or two 68 parts cars sitting around his property so if one entire parts car is missing then this could be it.

MoparManJim

Quote from: Ghoste on August 17, 2009, 12:35:55 AM
Could be, I wasn't there when he built it.  I will add that it has the 07 complete drivetrain not just the engine and it has the new cars suspension as well.  I know he once had one or two 68 parts cars sitting around his property so if one entire parts car is missing then this could be it.

I think he took a 68 charger and added what you said it had on "in" it and then told you it was the other way around. Because the 2007 charger is smaller then the 1968-70 chargers are and for him to warp the 1968 stuff around the 2008, he would have to either trim the rear skins down, plus the doors, and all to intercept the 2007 wheel base. But anyone can take a new car parts and mod them into an old car though (which is what I think he had done). Plus the interior in the newer cars are bigger then the old stuff is also. 

If he had two parts cars and if indeed one is now missing, we all know where it went to  :lol:

ZSmithersCharges

Its hard to tell without pics of the supension towers in front... otherwhise everything else under the hood lines up with an 07 charger perfectly... minus the rad support.  Either way very cool car, rather have the 68, but very cool car none the less.

ChargerSG

Westcoast customs did that for an Csi guy(who got shoot) it did turnout good.
Should be a clip on youtube or something, they showed it on Discovery channel(Europe).
Looking for 383 Magnum #0B196875 and 0B115166

tan top

intresting & a lot of clever fabrication stuff for sure  :coolgleamA:  , i'm betting  , with out seeing any bulid up pictures & under side shots , the guy has just cut out the rear frame with the suspention mountings & front inner clip & fire wall   also  then welded them  into a 2nd generation  :yesnod:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

TruckDriver

I like that :yesnod:  It is something I'd do too if I had the money. Classic looks and todays performance. The best of both worlds if you ask me.
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

Ghoste

Tomato-tahmahto for me personally as far as whether he stuck 07 guts in a 68 or hung 68 panels over 07 guts.  Either case would need a lot of fabrication to blend together and at the end of it I'm still one of those guys who likes the 68 for what it is.  I guess I prefer it's warts to mutating it with something newer.  That may sound odd coming from someone who has always been an open critic of the new Charger based on it's styling but if I want the comfort and convenience of the new car then that's what I'll drive.
I like the styling of the old Chargers but I also like the more intangible thrill they supply with the noise and heat and smells.  I'll admit freely that anytime you can get better mileage it's good.  If I drive six hours with my family to a cottage up north, it's nice to get out of the car somewhat feeling good.  But when I drive my Charger six hours to the Mopar Nats and I get out feeling like a limp dishrag, there is some sort of sick masochistic pleasure in that too.  Each has it's place is what I suppose I'm saying.
(you have probably guessed by now that in spite of being critical of the new Charger's styling, I am also not one of those people who thought Dodge should have duplicated the appearance of the 2nd gens for the new one-wierd huh?)

ZSmithersCharges

Well whatever your thoughts on the styling you have to admit that the interiors not bad... even in a 68' shell it looks right at home so +1 chrysler... now ad that to your -999999999999 you guys'll even it out someday I promise  :hah:

charger_fan_4ever

Saw it at Moparfest this past weekend. The photo layout under the hood said it was a 68 r/t that had the new charger drivetrain added.

1st pic was dragging it out of the field looke dlike a few years ago.

Ghoste

So he basically was at this for a few years??  I never knew that and shouldn't be surprised I guess.  There had to be a lot of work to it.  Did the photo layout say anything about the newer car?  Was it a wreck or did he strip out a brand new one or what?

Troy

It's most definitely all new underneath - not just a drive train and interior swap. I have some pictures of the wheelhouses in the trunk and you can see the extensive mods done to make it fit. I did hear the mention the wheel base between the two cars is about 3" off which made getting the wheels centered was difficult. On a different conversion that I saw a while back (some tv show?) they tried to just drop an old Charger shell over the new Charger and had horrible problems with the taller sides of the car and dash placement. I'm not sure how these guys handled that. My biggest issue with this particular car is how high it had to sit to clear the wheels. Otherwise it is very nicely done.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Just 6T9 CHGR

I always wondered how it would look if I did a wheel swap :scratchchin:

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Ghoste

Although too small, I have to say that I like the appearance of the Road Wheels and Redlines on your new car better than the new wheels on the 69 Chris.  I especially like the look of the redlines on the new one.  Might be something to consider  :2thumbs:

ChargerSG

The one that Westcoast customs did build(2007 and 1968 Charger) only found a chopped up show, they dont show any of the build allmost http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vCMtYQKEZ4
Looking for 383 Magnum #0B196875 and 0B115166

dodgecharger-fan

They had the build pics in a photo album at MOPARFest.
I didn't go through every picture, but what I saw was an 07 body being chopped off and 68 skin going on.

A friend of mine did go through every photo and his description was along the lines of "the dropped a 68 body over a new Charger" and he's a guy that has built a few Chargers of his own and really knows his stuff. He wouldn't say it that way if it's not what he meant.

TUFCAT

I like it.....but I gaurantee is wasn't a cheap build.

For the money invested there's lots of equally cool cars out there to consider.  I wonder if the owner ever thought about getting his money out of this project if he decided to sell?  :shruggy:

Ghoste

Well, I don't want to be held to this number but as I mentioned, he did say he wanted to do these conversions as a business and for some reason the price he tossed out that is sticking in my memory is 200K.   If my recall is correct all I can say is...  :scared:  (it's a tad more than I have on me at the moment)

Troy

Quote from: Ghoste on August 17, 2009, 10:24:29 AM
Well, I don't want to be held to this number but as I mentioned, he did say he wanted to do these conversions as a business and for some reason the price he tossed out that is sticking in my memory is 200K.   If my recall is correct all I can say is...  :scared:
:iagree: That's what he said Saturday afternoon by the grill.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.