News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Getting the rocker shafts angled right for oiling

Started by WH23G3G, August 16, 2009, 06:02:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WH23G3G

I've read the factory 73 chassis manual about installing the rocker shafts correctly. It said the oiling holes should point towards the valve end of the rocker arm. And it shows a 15 degree angle it should be at. How can I possibly make sure I'm getting this thing lined up right? I won't know if it's 15 degrees or not.

WH23G3G

I just went out and mounted the rockers and shafts correctly. It seems like the shafts can only go one way with the oil holes pointing down and you can't really get them off because of the way the bolt holes are shaped. So I mounted them and turned the crank a few turns and made sure nothing is popping out. This motor is tight now with all the valvetrain and plugs in. I turned the damper so the #1 piston is at TDC and the pointer pointing at 0 for installation of the oil pump driveshaft. The valves on #1 cylinder were slightly loose so that means I had it on the correct stroke right?  Now it may be a couple weeks before I actually get time to get the motor in. So how long can I let the engine sit after I've primed it with the oiling tool. Should I be putting in all 5 quarts or just 2 quarts of oil?

62 Max

If you turn the shafts end for end,it will change the location of the holes.15 degrees in the opposite direction.

WH23G3G

So if I flip the rocker shafts around it should be correct? When I installed the rocker shaft yesterday it only went one position because the way the bolt holes are made so you couldn't roll the shaft to move the oiling holes closer to the valves. But I didn't lift the rocker shaft off and turn the opposite way. Obviously, flipping not meaning with the holes facing up, but the sides swapped. So that should change the degree of the oiling holes?

TylerCharger69

Hold the shafts up and look at them from the bottom.....You'll notice that the oiling holes are slightly offset from the bolt holes.  Those oiling holes need to be on the valve side and not the pushrod side.  It could be a very easy mistake to make.....so take your time and look carefully!!!  I hope this helps!!....Ace

WH23G3G

Ok I took everything off the rocker shaft today and tried to see which way to put the shafts on. I looked at when I installed it again, it doesn't matter which way you flip the shaft on each side the oil holes are in the same position. I looked at it again whith everything installed and it does kinda look like the oiling hole is right over the back of the valve spring. I was thinking the holes should be pointing towards the valve spring shooting oil into it. I believe I have it right now. Is there a way I can tell easier when I prime the engine with the priming tool? How long is it suppose to take for oil to start dripping from the rockers? I got a cheap $30 adjustable drill from Harbor Tool that does pretty good and I started priming the oil pump slowly and then all the way. It looked like the oil was puddling a little over the rockers but it wasn't dripping like it said in the book. Is it also suppose to make a gurgling sound when you've got the drill going? I've got 2 quarts of oil in the pan, does it need more to prime better? Should I see a lot of oil collecting anywhere? I've still got the valve covers off and intake. 

62 Max

When you prime the engine,you will have to also turn over the engine, ( I don't mean upside down  :icon_smile_big:)
depending the position of the cam shaft you may not get oil to both heads.

TylerCharger69

Okay......Let me rephrase.....Hold the shaft above your head.....slide one of the rockers back so you can see one of the oiling holes....You should notice that the oiling hole is slightly offset from where the center of the mounting bolt hole is. It's pretty obvious if you know what you are looking for.  The oil holes should be toward the valves  and NOT the pushrods.  You may have your rocker arms on the shaft backwards.  If you were to spin the shaft horizontally 180 degrees end for end...then the hole position would be opposite.  If it makes life easier.....disassemble the rockers off of the shaft.  Turn the shaft upside down and run a straight edge down the center of all of the mounting bolt holes....then you will see that the oiling holes aren't quite centered with the mounting holes.  I know....it is hard to paint a picture through a keyboard....haha    I can send a pic if it would help you.......Ace

WH23G3G

Yeah a picture always helps because I can't tell if I'm doing this right. I even asked a machine shop who's done plenty of Mopar engines and he didn't really know what I was talking about. It's weird that neither engine guide I've been refering to has mentioned in detail the importance of the rocker shaft oiling holes. I refer to the Haynes Chrysler Engine Overhaul manual and it just says to make sure the oiling holes are facing down and I don't remember reading anything about the oiling holes at all in Don Taylor's book. I also refer to the 73 Chrysler chassis manual which is where I saw it. But eventhough this is my first engine I've done all I can to avoid having this motor fail. So I'd hate to mess it up now. I was worried about the notches on the rod caps too but I'm pretty sure I got those right. At least if I get this right I'll know the engine won't fail because of the rockers.

TylerCharger69

okay...give me a few minutes to an hour  and i'll post up some pics.....It will solve your mystery.   I find it hard to believe that a proficient Mopar guy doesn't know what you are talking about....well....THERE'S a red flag!!!  I will get them on here really quick.

TylerCharger69

Okay...the first two pics are a bit blurry, but you can see what I mean about the offset.  I used a piece of masking tape so i could make a straight edge....the edge of the tape is going down the exact center of the main bolt holes.  As you can see, the oiling holes are fully visible and not touching the tape line at all, so you can see they are NOT centered with the main bolt holes.  One pic is of the entire shaft, and the other is a close up.  The side which the oiling holes are.....are the side that goes toward the valves.  The next pic  shows the "Ring" spacer placement....unassembled, so you can see where they go.  The last one is the entire shaft assembled...sorry I haven't cleaned these parts up yet, but hopefully you can see how the shafts go and what goes where on the shafts.  So you can see the keepers on the bolts themselves, 3 short ones and two long ones.  They go in this order:
bolt-rocker-ring-rocker-bolt-rocker-ring-rocker-bolt-rocker-ring-rocker-bolt-rocker-ring-rocker-bolt

I hope this helps...if you need clearer pictures...well...I'll try....

TylerCharger69

Oh  by the way...you probably already know this....but those pics are of the BOTTOM side of the rocker shafts!!!

firefighter3931

The rocker shafts can be mounted only one "correct" way. The oil holes must face down and towards the outside of the engine. If the holes are facing inward simply swap them end to end and you're good to go.  :yesnod:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

TylerCharger69

That is correct!!!  Thanks for adding that in!! :yesnod:

WH23G3G

I think that should clear it up then. Just to be sure I'll remove all the rockers again and temporarily mount the shaft to see where the holes are and then flip them around until I know they are right and then remount my rocker arms finally for good. Then I can finish priming and add the last piece, the intake.

royt440

Quote from: WH23G3G on August 16, 2009, 07:00:53 PM
So how long can I let the engine sit after I've primed it with the oiling tool. Should I be putting in all 5 quarts or just 2 quarts of oil?
You really should prime it right before you plan on firing it up.  While you are using an electric drill to spin the pump, you need to rotate the crankshaft slowly.  One of the cam bearings has 2 holes in it that allows oil to get to the top end (unless you had that bearing grooved before installing the camshaft)
Go ahead and put all 5 quarts in.

LeadfootBob

This of course begs a question: how do you keep the moly grease on the cam for the break-in while rotating the engine to oil up the top end?

And an additional: is there ANY way to see if the holes are aligned properly once the shafts are installed on the heads?
Proud member of the jack stand racing team since 1999.
'70 Charger 500: "Bronson", some kind of hillbilly hot rod in progress.
'89 Chevy Caprice 9C1: "it's got a cop motor..."

TylerCharger69

Just look at the underneath side of the shaft.....the oiling holes will be slightly offset to the main bolts.....the holes go toward the valves.....you can't see them once they are mounted.