News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

long term storage

Started by Foreman72, August 16, 2009, 03:10:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foreman72

my charger will be in a mostly weathertite (its old) garage while i'm away at college...i was wondering if you all had any suggestions for said long term storage? i have a nice light cover to put on it and jack stands as well...any thoughts on preventive measures to help to keep it from further deteriorating? thanks :2thumbs:
Eric "Foreman"

Previous: 1972 Dodge Charger
Current: 2002 Volvo S60

"The steps of a man are ordered by the LORD, and He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the LORD upholds him with His hand.
=Psalm 37:23-24=
"But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven..."
=Matthew 6:19-21=
:pat

Tilar

How long are you talking? If someone is around that can start it once a month, I wouldn't worry much about it, but if it's going to be setting for like a year then there are a number of things you might want to do. Get some Sta-Bil and add it to the fuel tank and then run it long enough that you know that it's made it to the carb. That will keep the gas from getting old and a year from now will still be good. Another good thing to do is take the plugs out and put a little oil down in the cylinders and then turn it over a few times to get the cylinders lubed up. Be sure to reinstall the plugs. You might put the car up on stands if you wish, especially if you have problems with having to add air in the tires from time to time. Other than that I wouldn't worry much about it.

If the car is going to be setting for a couple years, you might consider draining the fuel tank. Just my  :Twocents: 

Or if it runs good, you can ship it to me and I'll be sure to run the piss.... err I mean keep it loosened up and in driving condition.  :D
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

Foreman72

well for what its worth...this car hasn't moved/started in 20 years...i'm taking it from one horrible environment and putting it in a garage...so the normal running car things i won't need to do...i should have specified...and it'll be there for 4 years
Eric "Foreman"

"The steps of a man are ordered by the LORD, and He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the LORD upholds him with His hand.

Tilar

Then in that case I'd say you did about all you need to do. Just getting it in from the elements will be a good thing.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

Foreman72

Eric "Foreman"

Daytona R/T SE

I'd remove and burn the carpet, headliner, and the trunk mat.

If the vinyl top is shot, or has "crunchies" underneath it-rip it off.

They're all probably shot at this point anyway, and all they are doing is holding in moisture, mildew and general funk.

Bugs and mice love to live in them and mouse-piss soaked carpet will eat the floors alive.

Wash the outside of the car, running lots of water (high pressure if possible) behind the trim, moldings,etc.

Scrub down the seats, dash, door panels, etc. with hot, soapy water.

Rinse.

I'd also remove the drain plugs from the floor and trunkfloor, scrub the floor and trunk with plenty of hot, soapy water, rinse the hell out of it, let it drain through the plug holes, towel it dry and let it sit out in the hot sun with the doors and trunk open for a few days.

Put the drain plugs back in.

When you put the car away, dump a bunch of mothballs on the car's floor, in the trunk, and put a few under the hood, along the cowl, on top of the intake,in the battery tray, etc.

This will keep the critters out of your car.

Add more balls about every six months.

Foreman72

nice...thanks...don't know if i can do all that...but i'll do as much as i can...i thought the carpet might be a good idea...and i'll do the plugs too...and i had planned on doing the mothballs...

one question...if most of the rubber and seals are no good, wouldn't blasting it with water get everything wet/soaked...especially the inside (which is salvageable)?
Eric "Foreman"

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on August 16, 2009, 09:32:44 PM
towel it dry and let it sit out in the hot sun with the doors and trunk open for a few days.

:2thumbs:

Foreman72

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on August 16, 2009, 09:41:05 PM
towel it dry and let it sit out in the hot sun with the doors and trunk open for a few days.

won't soak stuff?
Eric "Foreman"

green69rt

If the engine runs then the comment about putting a shot of oil in the cylinders is still good, even if it doesn't run but turns over that is still a cheap way of keeping the engine free.  For long term, I would take off the tires, remove the battery, and then do the moth ball thing.  Can't think of much else that would be required for an old car waiting for restoration.

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: Foreman72 on August 16, 2009, 09:49:27 PM

won't soak stuff?

Uh, It's already soaked.  :slap:

Foreman72

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on August 16, 2009, 10:18:59 PM
Quote from: Foreman72 on August 16, 2009, 09:49:27 PM

won't soak stuff?

Uh, It's already soaked.  :slap:
:smilielol: :smilielol:

thats what i figured you'd say :lol:

touche...alright man...thats what i'll do..thanks...hopefully the sun stays out so i can do all this...its been like 90+ all week but of course when i need it to be sunny it won't ::)

thanks man...

Eric "Foreman"

mopar0166

Getting the interior out will be huge, moisture will collect thier first then move on