News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Foreman72's 1972 Charger Resto Thread (UPDATE: WORK ON SAT 3/20)

Started by Foreman72, August 16, 2009, 02:47:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beer

Quote from: Foreman72 on October 10, 2009, 10:13:14 AM
plans: remove seats
        remove carpet
        vacuum out crap
        get the trunk open
        asses damages to floor/trunk/frame

I remember doing that...
Bring Ziplock bags for what you remove and a Black Perm Marker to write what's in the bag so when you put everything back together years later, You will know what you started with and where it goes  :2thumbs:
1973 Dodge Charger 402 Stroker Smallblock 414 HP/ 466 ft/lbs torque,  8 3/4" 3.91 Suregrip rear w/ DR. Diff disk brake conversion, CalTracs single leaf and Rear Suspension, VFN Bulge Hood, Running, needs interior completed, Had to give to Ex-Wife in divorce 2017...

Foreman72

alright...so yesterday i went and spent a few hours with the car...here is what i am learning...things will go far slower then you will plan them to :yesnod: :yesnod:

so i started by vacuuming crap out the engine bay and cowl traps and door hinge area..

the i got out my new craftsman tools and began to work at the 2 nuts that where preventing the extraction of the front seat...i know there are four there but the 2 front ones weren't an issue due to the fact that the floor boards they were connected to were non existent :icon_smile_big: ...unfortunately they were just too rusted out and i couldn't get enough leverage nor could i get at them with a torch...so we'll take care of that next time

then we began ripping out the carpet...front section came out as one big gross nasty piece but the back was much harder to do with the seat still in there....we did what we could but there are  a few small pieces of carpet left...i gotta say tho, i'm pretty sure i shortened my lifespan by a month or so with all the crap i inhaled...hope i don't contract some obscure disease... :lol: :lol:...but seriously...

so there were 3 bright spots to this whole ordeal of getting (not nearly enough of) what i wanted to get done
1) found cookie monster and big bird figures... :lol: nostalgic
2) found this section of carpet (somehow i struck upon it :shruggy:) which i thought was pretty cool
3) and...FOUND ANOTHER BROADCAST SHEET!! however its under the front seat so until i get that out i have to wait to see it...

see, i'm trying to figure out  if it came with the rallye taillights or not...maybe this sheet tell me what it originally had for taillights...fingers crossed...here are some pics...

Eric "Foreman"

Previous: 1972 Dodge Charger
Current: 2002 Volvo S60

"The steps of a man are ordered by the LORD, and He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the LORD upholds him with His hand.
=Psalm 37:23-24=
"But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven..."
=Matthew 6:19-21=
:pat

b5blue

lisiecki1

Remember the average response time to a 911 call is over 4 minutes.

The average response time of a 357 magnum is 1400 FPS.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,52527.0.html

Foreman72

Eric "Foreman"

"The steps of a man are ordered by the LORD, and He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the LORD upholds him with His hand.

lisiecki1

you should clean those up and keep them with the car "just because"....awesome retro stuff....and good progress being made, keep it up!
Remember the average response time to a 911 call is over 4 minutes.

The average response time of a 357 magnum is 1400 FPS.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,52527.0.html

b5blue

TUFCAT

hemi-hampton

Mount them on your Dashboard for Sentimental reasons :scratchchin: :rofl:  LEON.

The70RT

<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

NHCharger

Quote from: Foreman72 on October 17, 2009, 11:05:33 AM
..here is what i am learning...things will go far slower then you will plan them to :yesnod: :yesnod:

Ahh Grasshopper, you have learned your first lesson. ;)

When your home on x-mas break I'll give you a hand for a day disassembling that beast.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

Foreman72

well i made a discovery this weekend...the charger is a girl... :icon_smile_big:

now i realize this isn't earth shattering or anything...but i had been trying to figure out for a while...yeah...its a girl...now that doesn't make it any less manly or nothing...its still gonna look killer...its just a girl :yesnod: :lol: :lol:
Eric "Foreman"

TUFCAT

A girl huh? :o

How did you find this out?  Did you get a good look underneath?  :icon_smile_tongue:

Foreman72

Quote from: TUFCAT on November 15, 2009, 09:09:44 PM
A girl huh? :o

How did you find this out?  Did you get a good look underneath?  :icon_smile_tongue:

knew that question would surface  :eyes:  :lol:

nah i think it was just a revelation...i guess with the amount of time i'll invest into it, and the effort i'll invest into it, an of course, the money....i guess it just makes logical sense :lol:
Eric "Foreman"

Charger440RDN

Quote from: Foreman72 on November 15, 2009, 06:24:28 PM
well i made a discovery this weekend...the charger is a girl... :icon_smile_big:

now i realize this isn't earth shattering or anything...but i had been trying to figure out for a while...yeah...its a girl...now that doesn't make it any less manly or nothing...its still gonna look killer...its just a girl :yesnod: :lol: :lol:

Well of course she's a girl, look at those curvy wide hips on her  :lol:

motorcitydak

96 Dakota, custom everything 4x4, 5.7 HEMI
'68 charger project
[OO!!!!!!!!!OO]

bakerhillpins

the i got out my new craftsman tools and began to work at the 2 nuts that where preventing the extraction of the front seat...i know there are four there but the 2 front ones weren't an issue due to the fact that the floor boards they were connected to were non existent :icon_smile_big: ...unfortunately they were just too rusted out and i couldn't get enough leverage nor could i get at them with a torch...so we'll take care of that next time

Have to ask.. Do you own an air compressor and impact wrench? Would have thought that would have solved that problem relatively quickly.

You realize that last week was the 40th anniversary of Sesame Street?  :2thumbs:

Bryan
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

Foreman72

Quote from: bakerhillpins on November 16, 2009, 04:30:49 PM

Have to ask.. Do you own an air compressor and impact wrench? Would have thought that would have solved that problem relatively quickly.

You realize that last week was the 40th anniversary of Sesame Street?  :2thumbs:

Bryan
yeah it was...but i found these about a month ago...i wonder if they're worth any $$  :scratchchin: :scratchchin:

anyways no i don't have a compressor...your right, an impact wrench would've certainly done it...i'd love to get one but you know its not really sitting heavy in the budget at the moment...but its all good :yesnod:
Eric "Foreman"

bakerhillpins

Quote from: Foreman72 on November 16, 2009, 04:35:17 PM
yeah it was...but i found these about a month ago...i wonder if they're worth any $$  :scratchchin: :scratchchin:

anyways no i don't have a compressor...your right, an impact wrench would've certainly done it...i'd love to get one but you know its not really sitting heavy in the budget at the moment...but its all good :yesnod:

Put them on ebay as rare and I am sure you will get $$.  :2thumbs:

A friend has worked on cars for years and has a full garage. I can remember the day I tried like hell to get a bolt off of the drive pulley on my snow blower. I tried everything and burned at least 2-3 hours and just gave up. I threw it in the vehicle and took it to his place. The impact wrench had it off in seconds.  It became clear.... At the next service interval on the SUV I needed to replace the timing belt. I priced out the cost for someone else to do it vs materials. I was able to buy the parts needed, a medium duty compressor, and impact wrench for just under the cost of the scheduled maintenance. So I did it myself and picked up the compressor with no real change to my budget. I have had more use out of that compressor than I can convey. It has to be, hands down, the MOST useful tool purchase I have made.

I picked up a refurbished CH tank direct and a IR impact wrench from harbor freight. In the short term you maybe able to get an electric impact wrench that might not pinch the budget!

Though, you do own a charger... and I have yet to get myself into a position to get one. So I am not sure which one of us has their priorities straight.  ;)
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

squeakfinder

Thanks for posting all the pictures. It's always fun to watch other people work.

This is great stuff.

You'll learn allot about the anatomy of third generation Chargers.

My hat's off to you for undertaking this project.

What have we learned so far?

1.It needs brake work.

2.It needs rust repair.

3.It needs upholstery.

4.And your uncle was a fan of Sesame Street.

Still looking for 15x7 Appliance slotted mags.....

Foreman72

Quote from: bakerhillpins on November 17, 2009, 08:13:52 AM
Quote from: Foreman72 on November 16, 2009, 04:35:17 PM

Though, you do own a charger... and I have yet to get myself into a position to get one. So I am not sure which one of us has their priorities straight.  ;)

wanna trade :D

:lol: but hey any thoughts on a good electric impact wrench? maybe factory second or something like that?

Quote from: squeakfinder on November 17, 2009, 09:59:11 AM
Thanks for posting all the pictures. It's always fun to watch other people work.

This is great stuff.

You'll learn allot about the anatomy of third generation Chargers.

My hat's off to you for undertaking this project.

What have we learned so far?

1.It needs brake work.

2.It needs rust repair.

3.It needs upholstery.

4.And your uncle was a fan of Sesame Street.

thanks  :lol: yeah it'll be some hefty work for sure...but all worth it :2thumbs:
Eric "Foreman"

Foreman72

so...in case anyone was interested, i did some car related work tonight...took apart my r11 musicmaster am radio to see how it all worked and to clean it up...upon opening it, i came across an interesting surprise...look at the main transformer...at first i didn't know what it was but then i noticed the holes on the side and it clicked that it was a nest of some sort...after carefully removing it (it had been built around some wires) i found out it was a hornets nest...a vintage hornets nest...ebay :scratchchin:

:lol:

so i continued disassmebly, cleaned everything up and put it back together...i must say, i think it looks much cleaner than it did before...esp the knob trim rings...

so thats that...nothing huge...i'm still looking for a way to splice an 1/8th in jack into the circuit in some way so i can connect my ipod...but we'll see what we come up with...

also, i'll be going on the 2nd with NHcharger to do some further interior removal and rust assessment...more to come!
Eric "Foreman"

NHCharger

Quote from: Foreman72 on December 21, 2009, 10:44:26 PM
also, i'll be going on the 2nd with NHcharger to do some further interior removal and rust assessment...more to come!

WooHoo :hack: :hack: :hack: :hack: :hack: :hack: :hack: :hack: :hack: :hack:
I'm warming up the sawzall as I type.
Just give me a couple hours alone with your Charger and I can have it looking like this in no time :lol: :lol:
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

Beer

1973 Dodge Charger 402 Stroker Smallblock 414 HP/ 466 ft/lbs torque,  8 3/4" 3.91 Suregrip rear w/ DR. Diff disk brake conversion, CalTracs single leaf and Rear Suspension, VFN Bulge Hood, Running, needs interior completed, Had to give to Ex-Wife in divorce 2017...