News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Foreman72's 1972 Charger Resto Thread (UPDATE: WORK ON SAT 3/20)

Started by Foreman72, August 16, 2009, 02:47:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

terrible one

Glad to see that you guys got that beast out of there! It's all worth it now that you have it in it's new home though, right? It's too bad you have to leave it alone now, but at least it's in your posession! I had to bring mine to college with me!  :P

jb666

Moving in the right direction!! (with your life AND the car). Keep up the good work and I look forward to seeing MANY more pics!!  :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

terrible one

Quote from: Finn on August 22, 2009, 08:40:50 PM
I hear yeah on the college bit, fall semesters starts Monday for me. Calculus ftl.
:brickwall:
If you can fit through the rear seat opening you can pop the trunk from the inside without drilling your lock. :Twocents:

Agreed, definitely the easiest way. I had to do that with my Dart. Find a piece of plywood no wider than you to slide through and lay down on the trunk floor before you go in to protect you from the jagged and rusty metal. Should only take a few minutes and then you can take the lock out the right way and have a key made for it.:Twocents:

69bronzeT5

Wow Eric, awesome!!! Great work guys getting it out of there. :2thumbs: So where's it being stored now?
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

71 Bee Man

G'day eric,

i haven't been able to get on the forum for a while, but looking at the pictures of the car inside that "cave" and then as you dragged it out.........good on you.

I think we sometimes forget the simple pleasures of doing something like you're doing. Sure, it'll need a lot of work, but that's half the fun, isn't it.

All the best with your Charger. I hope the problems aren't as big as you may imagine. :2thumbs:

Peter
Sydney, Australia.
Add your details to the Forum members List. Visit this thread to find out more :
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,21133.240.html

Foreman72

Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on August 24, 2009, 12:28:34 AM
Wow Eric, awesome!!! Great work guys getting it out of there. :2thumbs: So where's it being stored now?

its in a garage on the same property the barn is on...but its a heck of allot nice than the barn :lol: :2thumbs:

Quote from: 71 Bee Man on August 24, 2009, 01:39:17 AM
G'day eric,

i haven't been able to get on the forum for a while, but looking at the pictures of the car inside that "cave" and then as you dragged it out.........good on you.

I think we sometimes forget the simple pleasures of doing something like you're doing. Sure, it'll need a lot of work, but that's half the fun, isn't it.

All the best with your Charger. I hope the problems aren't as big as you may imagine. :2thumbs:

Peter
Sydney, Australia.

thanks peter...yeah it should be a good time huh...looking forward to really getting started :2thumbs:
Eric "Foreman"

Previous: 1972 Dodge Charger
Current: 2002 Volvo S60

"The steps of a man are ordered by the LORD, and He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the LORD upholds him with His hand.
=Psalm 37:23-24=
"But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven..."
=Matthew 6:19-21=
:pat

BIRD67

Great Job Guys! Now, the xterior of the car doesn't look too bad at all, looks like most of the vinyl top is still intact.. I al would reccomend is getting a good pressure washer and get every nook and ctanny with it, it ought to remove all the shit that has built up over the yerars.. I like the colour, is that F6?
I will not make any deals with you. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own. I resign. -Number 6, The Prisoner

R.I.P. Matthew Fraser 4/30/10

NHCharger

Quote from: BIRD67 on August 24, 2009, 09:49:11 AM
the xterior of the car doesn't look too bad at all,

On the exterior the dog legs are rusted, bottom of the quarters, some areas around the wheel wells, rockers are questionable, some heavy surface rust on the hood.
When I removed the lower back seat to retrieve the broadcast sheet I noticed it has the very popular "see thru floor option". It appears the entire floor is shot(we could see daylight coming up thru the rug) so I'm a bit concerned about the frame.

When Eric's home from college and has some spare time I'll hook up with him and we'll go over the car and see just how much rust repair this car will need.
Eric, might be wise to ask for a sawzall for Christmas. ;)
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

b5blue

That and a way cool "Blister hood" to go with his hidden headlights!

BIRD67

Ahh yes, the see through floor option, if you ask me, it's way overrated!! How did the trunk floor look? and is the car solid enough that he could try and start the car, if it would in fact turn over?  I'm glad you guys got it out of the barn!! If I didn't live as far as I do ( I am in New Hampshire as well, but I am like 3 1/2 hours away) I would have gone and helped too, oh well, maybe one of these days I will be able to come on down and check it out..
I will not make any deals with you. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own. I resign. -Number 6, The Prisoner

lisiecki1

Remember the average response time to a 911 call is over 4 minutes.

The average response time of a 357 magnum is 1400 FPS.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,52527.0.html

nh_mopar_fan

Quote from: NHCharger on August 24, 2009, 11:18:13 AM
the xterior of the car doesn't look too bad at all,

On the exterior the dog legs are rusted, bottom of the quarters, some areas around the wheel wells, rockers are questionable, some heavy surface rust on the hood.
When I removed the lower back seat to retrieve the broadcast sheet I noticed it has the very popular "see thru floor option". It appears the entire floor is shot(we could see daylight coming up thru the rug) so I'm a bit concerned about the frame.

When Eric's home from college and has some spare time I'll hook up with him and we'll go over the car and see just how much rust repair this car will need.
I'd be shocked if there aren't major areas that are mush underneath. 

lisiecki1

wayfast1500

Im in derry, if you want help with it count me in I have a welder and stuff.

Foreman72

yeah we'll have to see where it goes...i hope its not too bad but lets say by the time this is over, i'll probably be pretty first name with Auto Rust Tech... :lol:

Quote from: wayfast1500 on August 24, 2009, 04:26:57 PM
Im in derry, if you want help with it count me in I have a welder and stuff.

thanks a lot man, might not be for awhile but i'll take you up on it at some point

I like the colour, is that F6?

is actually F3 and i don't like the color :lol:
its gonna be F7 which i dig a great deal more

Quote from: lisiecki1 on August 24, 2009, 03:13:02 PM
Quote from: lisiecki1 on August 24, 2009, 12:39:46 PM
isn't that the 72 charger FE?

Flintstones Edition.......since nobody took the bait  ;)

har har :D

thanks brian...yeah i'm looking forward to tearing into that thing some more...may not need to do much tearing...
Eric "Foreman"

"The steps of a man are ordered by the LORD, and He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the LORD upholds him with His hand.

Charger440RDN

The car looks really solid, it's a shame it was parked in the mud with all that moisture  :rotz: looks like the floor pan will be the toughest part of the restoration. Do you plan to media blast the body or get it acid dipped?

lisiecki1

Quote from: lisiecki1 on August 24, 2009, 03:13:02 PM
Quote from: lisiecki1 on August 24, 2009, 12:39:46 PM
isn't that the 72 charger FE?

Flintstones Edition.......since nobody took the bait  ;)

har har :D

on a serious note, if you're going small block, I think I can hook you up with some stock torsion bars when I buy my new ones (it's gonna be a little while), if you're interested

Foreman72

Quote from: Charger440RDN on August 24, 2009, 11:22:43 PM
The car looks really solid, it's a shame it was parked in the mud with all that moisture  :rotz: looks like the floor pan will be the toughest part of the restoration. Do you plan to media blast the body or get it acid dipped?

i plan to do whatever will be cheapest...so probably blast it...but thats all a long ways off

Quote from: lisiecki1 on August 25, 2009, 07:06:06 AM

on a serious note, if you're going small block, I think I can hook you up with some stock torsion bars when I buy my new ones (it's gonna be a little while), if you're interested

yeah i'm staying SB...my plan was .96 bars...but yeah let me know when the time comes around...thanks man :2thumbs:
Eric "Foreman"

BIRD67

Hey Eric,if and when you can, could you post some more pics of the car? Thanks bud!

Foreman72

well i figured this was the place to let you all know...college is going very well...getting well adjusted...roommate is cool and all...lots of girls :D  :lol: ...lots of good music opportunities and i'm learning to do what God has given me a passion to do...thanks for your encouragement!! :2thumbs:
Eric "Foreman"

jaak

Quote from: Foreman72 on September 06, 2009, 05:49:07 PM
well i figured this was the place to let you all know...college is going very well...getting well adjusted...roommate is cool and all...lots of girls :D  :lol: ...lots of good music opportunities and i'm learning to do what God has given me a passion to do...thanks for your encouragement!! :2thumbs:

:2thumbs: Good deal! Good to hear from you Eric. Good luck in college, get that education...make some $$$$, the 72 will still be waiting on you when you finish. Check in with us every now and then and let us know how its going.

Take care, bud,
Jason

Foreman72

had a dream about my car last night...now i REALLY wanna go home and work on it...in the dream i put the last of the emblems back on the car and was about to turn it over for the first time totally complete...then i freakin woke up...good dream...can't wait till i can work on it in october...

school is good...its paper season now...writing to be done... :2thumbs:
Eric "Foreman"

69bronzeT5

Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

Foreman72

well...good news...this next weekend i'm off from school and i'll be flying back home...i've scheduled saturday as work day for the charger so i'm greatly looking forward to that...o and seeing my family too :icon_smile_big:

plans: remove seats
        remove carpet
        vacuum out crap
        get the trunk open
        asses damages to floor/trunk/frame

Eric "Foreman"

Charger440RDN