News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Foreman72's 1972 Charger Resto Thread (UPDATE: WORK ON SAT 3/20)

Started by Foreman72, August 16, 2009, 02:47:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foreman72

Quote from: b5blue on August 20, 2009, 08:59:52 AM
Now is a good time to start a photo log if you have a camera, reference shots early in the 1st stages can help "down the road" when memory fails.(I still strongly recommend getting that E brake to function)
well like i said, the goal is to get it to roll...i don't plan on driving it any time soon...i'd like to but don't plan to :icon_smile_big:
Eric "Foreman"

Previous: 1972 Dodge Charger
Current: 2002 Volvo S60

"The steps of a man are ordered by the LORD, and He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the LORD upholds him with His hand.
=Psalm 37:23-24=
"But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven..."
=Matthew 6:19-21=
:pat

oldrock

+1 on that ebrake. Even rolling chasis can be pretty scary when it is rolling towards something important such as a garage wall, support beam, another vehicle, etc. If that can't be done, then next best thing is to only move with a bunch of guys to help control it.

b5blue

I have seen coke machines, water heaters, block walls and feet all damaged for want of a working E brake, I've watched 3 stooges style as cars have rolled down driveways across roads and into someones yard, a roller has a ton of momentum with no engine or tranny in it, that ton is multiplied by speed even at very low rates.....I'm not even highlighting the potential for auto body damage...just human body damage. Ever slam a car in "Park" going 5 miles an hour? It's not pretty!  :Twocents:

Finn

Brakes of some sort would be a plus...Had the challenger RT pin me against a gate when it rolled off the trailer. A few inches over and it would have crushed the twins! :o
1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

Foreman72

yeah i hear ya...its a good idea...i'll certainly look into it... :2thumbs:
Eric "Foreman"

"The steps of a man are ordered by the LORD, and He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the LORD upholds him with His hand.

TUFCAT

I agree with the guy who said hire a good tow truck. These guys are experts in recovery situations....and it might be worth the money in the long run when you consider the time/expense involved.... and hopefully, if you hire a good service no damage will be done to the car or barn.  Just a thought.  :scratchchin:

Foreman72

well gents...tomoro morning, me and a guy from this site, NHCharger will be tearing into this project again...see if we can't get it in the garage with round 2...wish us luck...pics/words to come..

Eric "Foreman"

oldrock

good luck Eric, just don't get in a hurry. Remember safety first  ;)

b5blue

Foreman72

Eric "Foreman"

b5blue

Nice of you to take a "BRAKE" to reply....did it move yet? :lol:

Foreman72

so today, bright and early (10:00 :lol: ) my family and brian (NHCharger, real good guy, top notch guy, couldn't have done it without him and i mean that as literally as i can :2thumbs:)
went down to the barn to take another swing at this here charger extraction project...as you know, we started on tuesday but didn't get terribly far due to stuck wheels...

we began "unstucking" the wheels this morning, and after using everything from a hammer and a prybar to a impact wrench and a torch, we were able to get all four wheels to spin free, all with new (well, old) rims/rubber.  from there we pushed and comealonged and back and forthed until the car was at the exit of the barn...thats when it started to hit me that this was actually gonna happen...

after waiting for the rain to slow, we backed up the van and hitched her up...i never thought i'd get to be in that thing while it was moving...at least not for a long time :lol:
but we muscled it out, leaving ye old barn behind to do whatever the heck it wants in there, i don't care anymore :icon_smile_big:

the rain acted as a natural hose and we scrubbed it down as best we could...we also removed the rear seat and got the broadcast sheet (in more pieces than i would like :rotz: ) at this point we found a significant amount of floor rust, more than i would like yet again...but i mean, its all fixable i guess...all in time...

so covered in a garaged sits my 72...as we were cleaning it, i almost couldn't even process it...like i've seen people on here with 72s and i mean i know i have one, but like, now, the work is really moving, i mean i know i'll be at school and all, but still, i don't know...its just pretty cool to have my own piece of history...

well thats the story and here are the pictures...thanks again brian, thank you family...

Eric "Foreman"

Foreman72

Eric "Foreman"

Finn

Awesome man, congrats! I must say it looks way in way better shape than I thought it would. Whats the next step?
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

Foreman72

Quote from: Finn on August 22, 2009, 08:14:40 PM
Awesome man, congrats! I must say it looks way in way better shape than I thought it would. Whats the next step?

the body is decent...its the frame rails and the floors that i need to thoroughly examine...when its not raining..

the next step, ha...go to college :lol:

i'll work on it during breaks and stuff but there isn't too much i can do in one day 3 every months or so...but the next project is taking out the carpet/front seat and then vacuuming out as much crap as i can...then i want to get the trunk open/get a key for it...i don't have one which is a drag...

from there, i don't know...the bumpers/taillights/grille is the first big project...then its disassemble and i can't really do that in the current location
Eric "Foreman"

b5blue

Finn

I hear ya on the college bit, fall semesters starts Monday for me. Calculus ftl.
:brickwall:
If you can fit through the rear seat opening you can pop the trunk from the inside without drilling your lock. :Twocents:
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

Foreman72

Quote from: Finn on August 22, 2009, 08:40:50 PM
I hear yeah on the college bit, fall semesters starts Monday for me. Calculus ftl.
:brickwall:
If you can fit through the rear seat opening you can pop the trunk from the inside without drilling your lock. :Twocents:

if i don't fall straight thru and get tetanus yes then, i can :lol:

what after that tho...take the cylinder to get a key made for it?  :shruggy:
Eric "Foreman"

lisiecki1

if you get it out you can buy a new one.....easiest thing to do would be to get in there and remove the cylinder and then open the trunk with a stubby flat head screwdriver. :Twocents:
Remember the average response time to a 911 call is over 4 minutes.

The average response time of a 357 magnum is 1400 FPS.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,52527.0.html

TUFCAT

Great Job extracting the Charger bro...and you look very happy! I'm glad you had such good helpers.

Good luck in college.

oldrock

way to go Eric! Be sure to get a few interior shots tomorrow since you know you will be spending all day working on it  ;) Josh and I look forward to seeing another 72 come back to life!

mopar73

Good job Eric :2thumbs: :2thumbs:  Enjoy the process of the restoration and keep the faith!!

NHCharger

It was great to meet Eric and his family, real nice people. Eric gave you the sugar coated version of the extraction.

I beat Eric there by fifteen minutes, after entering the dungeon and scoping out the situation I was a bit dubious that we would get the Charger out that day. All tires were flat, K frame buried in the dirt, poor lighting (none actually), one outlet above the car that worked. Front passenger caliper refused to come off but in the process of beating it, it loosened up and we got the rotor to spin. Ended up removing the drum on the back drivers side. We couldn't get to the front driver wheel until we moved the car back five feet. I was able the get the caliper off however half the rotor fell off in pieces :lol:. Both torsion bars were broken so we jammed some wood blocks between the suspension and the frame to keep the k frame from dragging in the dirt. Every time we had to jack the car up it required digging out dirt in order to get the jack under the car. I cannot remember the last time I was so dirty and sweaty. I know you guys harped on Eric about some form of brakes but after four hours of complete thrashing and playing in the dirt and mud we were happy just to see it move, plus the emergency brake cable was broken and I had brought some wood blocking for wheel caulks.

It's now drying out in a garage with a concrete floor up on jack stands so Eric will be able to assess the amount of work he has ahead of him. Which looks like quite a bit.

I had a great time helping you get your project rolling.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

mikesbbody

Great job Guy's   :2thumbs: nice to see she's finally out of that old barn  :yesnod:

mikepmcs

Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?